Sensor problems : TDC down changes sensor

Sylosis

I am tempted to say it's probably me the problem, and this is not a bug, but I have a lot of troubles targeting something with the TPOD, since TDC Down on the TPOD often will just change Sensor. It can either switch to LST or TV. And I have no idea why, cause reading the manual and Chuck's guide, it really shouldn't, unless I don't get something?

The sequence I was trying to achieve and that really didn't work for me was:

- Fly to drop laser guided bombs

- Activate Master Arm

- Select GBU12 in stores

- Set EHSD to left screen

- Struggle to figure out how to enter laser code since the "CODE" symbology isn't on the EHSD and the upper left actually shows TACAN (ended up switching to LST momentarily in order to be able to enter it)

- On right MFD, select TPOD and make it operational.

- Push EHSD button "Designate" so that it slaves the Steerpoint to my TPOD (close to where my target is).

- Push Sensor select Down twice. For some reason, it doesn't set TPOD as SOI, but HUD. I push Sensor Select down twice again, and then it works.

- Using TDC, I move my TPOD onto my target

- I activate the laser (push OSB button from SAFE to ARMED and also from TRLN to LASR)

- I push TDC button down (Action button) : for some reason it switches to LST on my right MFD and TPOD disapears.

- TPOD is now on Standby again, so I turn it back on using the right MFD.

- I again, have to push Sensor Select down 4 times to have TPOD as my SOI.
- It's still on my target, so I push TDC Action: switches to LST screen again....
- I turn the TPOD ON AGAIN!

- Again, push Sensor Select down 4 times...

- I push TDC Action once, now it switches the right MFD to TV....
- I want to kill myself at this point.

- Redo all of the same shit once more, when I push TDC down, now it stays on the TPOD, for some magical reason.

- However, there isn't any symbology change. It's as if, TDC Action didn't do anything.

- I hold down WP Increment

- Doesn't fully work. Next to DSGT in the EHSD, it is still written "STP", but where the waypoint number should be, it's written TO.

- I go towards my target and I have no bombing symbology... no cue, nothing. Can't drop bombs...

I'm using a Virpil joystick and I must admit that sometimes, DCS doesn't seem to quite well detect the hat switches. When using the Virpil Tester, everything is perfectly fine. But in DCS, it doesn't always work. I still don't understand why TDC Action would change the Sensor on the MFD, but then I might just fail and suck...

Any help is more than welcome, cause this was a good waste of 2 hours trying to figure this out. 

EDIT : Just tried a quick instant action to figure this out. I did everything identical except one thing that I could not remember if I did or not. The line where I used the TV on my right MFD to enter the laser code. There is a small chance that previously, I left "CODE" selected in the MFD. Could it be the issue? Cause this time around, I didn't have all that weird behavior (of having TDC action changing sensor).

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

7 hours ago, stevie02sky.com said:

On EHSD you need to be in AG mode to change the laser code. 

be aware there is SSS down and SSS aft both totally different. Can’t understand why you need to SSS down x4. X2 works fine with me. 

Yes, I did not confuse AFT with DOWN. 

Can't say why I needed 4 presses, but I can tell you what I was observing. 

In the TPOD MFD on my right and EHSD on the left, once I had pressed "DSGT" (might mess up some acronyms here), in the TPOD below your kind of recticle, you can read "MAP DES" (or something like that). 

After the first 2 presses on Sensor Select Down, it was indicating "HUD DES". And then 2 presses again, it was TPOD DES. Then I could move with TDC. 

What is weird, with everything else, is that in my final test I did and described briefly in my "edit" is that this was not happening in that final last test. Sensor Select down twice was going from MAP DES to TPOD DES directly. 

Thx for the clue about setting the EHSD on A/G, cause I never saw there was an OSB with A/G. I'll have to check it out tonight. 

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

On 3/23/2021 at 7:17 PM, Sylosis said:

I am tempted to say it's probably me the problem, and this is not a bug, but I have a lot of troubles targeting something with the TPOD, since TDC Down on the TPOD often will just change Sensor. It can either switch to LST or TV. And I have no idea why, cause reading the manual and Chuck's guide, it really shouldn't, unless I don't get something?

You are saying TDC down. Do you mean SSS down? Or are you referring to TDC Depress (action)?

These are two separate functions.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, JIGGAwest said:

You are saying TDC down. Do you mean SSS down? Or are you referring to TDC Depress (action)?

These are two separate functions.

No, I meant what I said, which was TDC Down. Or TDC Depress if you prefer. Or TDC Action. All synonyms.

Edited by Sylosis

On 4/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Sylosis said:

No, I meant what I said, which was TDC Down. Or TDC Depress if you prefer. Or TDC Action. All synonyms.

I was mainly trying to confirm you have the correct binding. But, the first reply to your post said that you need to be in Master Mode Air to Ground before CODE will appear on the EHSD page. There isn't a A/G OSB.

I suspect this might be part of the issue? I don't see in your list of procedures that you confirmed A/G mode ON.

See if these references attached will help

image_2021_02_04T18_34_54_024Z-1.png

AV8B HOTAS.png

Edited by JIGGAwest
Spelling
  • Like 1

The images has false information. Example in the TPOD DESG mode SSS forward will activate Laser Image Scanning - LTIP. It stands for:

"‘Laser Target Imaging Program’ (LTIP), employing a short wave infrared (SWIR) laser augmented imaging, to enhance the targeting system’s capability to capture images in situations where medium-wave infrared (MWIR) forward-looking infrared and CCD are ineffective."

There is no laser ranging. The way to get out of TPOD is 2X SSS as otherwise SSS is commanding only TPOD. So you enter and exist TPOD mode (HST) with 2x SSS. And when you are not in TPOD mode, then you can use SSS to set the MFCD for wanted sensors and designators and use TDC with them.

These as well cause some other problems with the wrongly modeled systems in Harrier.

Like what is proper order and functionality of DMT/LST and DMT/TV, as well IRMV and INS related to displays and HUD and TDC.

We as well need to get proper NSW logic as it will change the TPOD functionality.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.