F/A-18A/C Afterburner

Mudhen1

It needs a rework. My main issue is that part of the "internal" AB texture is coming out of the exhaust nozzles and showing alongside the "external" AB texture. There are much better AB implementations from third parties, where the internal texture is confined to the interior of the nozzle and they also illuminate, giving off a much nicer effect.

FWIW, I think the external AB texture is OK, more or less.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Reheat flame pattern and strength can be effected by local environment in real world, maybe DCS models the same?

When we took Tornado to the deserts around Nevada, quite often during the day you wouldn’t really see the flame pattern unless you were so close, very different to the UK.
At night was a different story obviously.

It all depended on ambient temp, pressure, altitude, quite a few things.

The flame won’t always look the same, even trim settings in the engine can alter the flame, quite obvious if one has a slightly differing trim to the other.

Not saying that’s what it is here, but if it’s modelled . . . 🤔

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

4 hours ago, CBStu said:

I don't spend much time looking at the back of my plane so it's fine as is for me.

Ha! True bud, true. :thumbup:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Im still waiting for the soundtravel of the afterburner turning off (and the aerodynamic stress-sounds of the aircraft) to not travel instantaneously, but rather at the speed of sound 😛

I know it's minor stuff, but it sticks out a little when making videos of flybys, and similar stuff 😛 

• Like 1

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

• 2 weeks later...

You won't hear any afterburner sound in the pit and it sounds very authentic to the tapes I watch on Youtube. I think the hornets afterburner effects look badass in comparison to the viper one. That one just looks flat, unappealing, too red and uninteresting (direct view into the engine nozzle). I hope that is just WIP.

Also F-14 Tomcat afterburner effect from behind is just the worst. Flat textures, and a rotating, flat looking texture. The M2000C's afterburner just has one texture and looks a** without heat blur effect on in graphics settings.