first time in A10CII cockpit in VR

Yeah, I have no idea how people fly DCS without VR.  Can’t imagine not being able to actually “look” where you are looking.  Seems like a deal breaker for me.  Racing simulator, sure a triple screen setup can work - but a flight sim?  No way.  VR all the way.

Getting the performance and clarity can take quite a bit of time and effort to perfect (per user) but it is worth it.  Excited to see if 2.7 brings the performance gains for VR, and whenever their API change/upgrade happens as well.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 9

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 4 weeks later...

I have been cosistently on VR (rift S) for the last 16 months on DCS. I recently went back to 2D just for some testing purposes. I instantly noticed two things:

1) The increased resolution

2) The lacks of immersion and spatial awareness.

As much as the better resolution in 2D is nice, the immersion and awareness in VR beats it easily IMHO. Really can't go back to 2D at this point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canada_Moose said:

I have been cosistently on VR (rift S) for the last 16 months on DCS. I recently went back to 2D just for some testing purposes. I instantly noticed two things:

1) The increased resolution

2) The lacks of immersion and spatial awareness.

As much as the better resolution in 2D is nice, the immersion and awareness in VR beats it easily IMHO. Really can't go back to 2D at this point.

did the same thing a few months ago.  Yeah DCS looks better in 2d but the loss of immersion going from VR back to 2d I just couldn’t do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stopped playing flight simulators in the early 2000's. One of the reasons was that that I felt "something" was missing. "View Mechanics" with keyboard, mouse and joystick wasn't cutting it for me... I totally missied the boat with TrackIR too....

Last year, we were picking up my daughter from a friend's house, and I was able to try VR for the the fist in a Oculus Quest. My first thought was "a FS sim with this tech would be amassing!" . Got home and google it... Well, here I am... Mostly a Harrier pilot, but got the Hog bug a couple of days ago and took advantage of the sale. Bad timing though, since I had to send my head set back for replacement because of dead pixels... Doing a lot of reading while I wait since I'm not even setup to flight in pancake mode!  VR graphics catching up with 2D quality is just a matter of time (and money). And it will be rather sooner than later.

• Like 5

I just started playing DCS.  My HOTAS Warthog arrived today.  I bought the A-10C II the other day and figured today was as good as an opportunity to try out the module and new HOTAS setup.  I also have a Quest 2.  What a fun plane!  What a great VR experience.  When I bought the Quest 2 last week I said if it wasn't worth the money, I would just take it back.  Don't think I could ever play without it now.  Lots to learn on the Hog though.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I fly in DCS with out VR I lose situational awareness all the time. I only fly DCS in 2d if I am trying to learn a new plane so I can easily look at tutorials and manuals on my phone or notes I have made. if you have the machine to run it. you don\t lose a ton of visual fidelity and for me the immersion alone makes up for what you do lose.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, WaWa74 said:

I just started playing DCS.  My HOTAS Warthog arrived today.  I bought the A-10C II the other day and figured today was as good as an opportunity to try out the module and new HOTAS setup.  I also have a Quest 2.  What a fun plane!  What a great VR experience.  When I bought the Quest 2 last week I said if it wasn't worth the money, I would just take it back.  Don't think I could ever play without it now.  Lots to learn on the Hog though.  Looking forward to it!

I'm curious, where you able to get one at a reasonable price. I was looking around a few weeks ago for a warthog HOTAS. they have hit a disgustingly stupid price. While I can afford it I will not pay 7-800 dollars for one. I bought a NXT gladiator premium and coupled it with my thrust master  tws throttle, almost all the functionality of the warthog flight stick none of the BS price gouging.

8 hours ago, TheOtherSider said:

When I fly in DCS with out VR I lose situational awareness all the time. I only fly DCS in 2d if I am trying to learn a new plane so I can easily look at tutorials and manuals on my phone or notes I have made. if you have the machine to run it. you don\t lose a ton of visual fidelity and for me the immersion alone makes up for what you do lose.

I'm curious, where you able to get one at a reasonable price. I was looking around a few weeks ago for a warthog HOTAS. they have hit a disgustingly stupid price. While I can afford it I will not pay 7-800 dollars for one. I bought a NXT gladiator premium and coupled it with my thrust master  tws throttle, almost all the functionality of the warthog flight stick none of the BS price gouging.

I got mine here.  Best price i could find new.  A lot better than Amazon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743173-REG/Thrustmaster_2960720_Hotas_Warthog_Flight_Stick.html

They go out of stock a lot but are pretty quick to get new ones in.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, WaWa74 said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743173-REG/Thrustmaster_2960720_Hotas_Warthog_Flight_Stick.html

Ah, nice. virtually every where they were running up to 800 easy some one amazon were over a grand. I will book mark this page as I have already committed to upgrading what I have. bought the bearing mod for the throttle that this guy 3D prints to make it smoother and the Matching rudder pedals. But thanks for looking out and good to know there are some vendors not scalping.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:14 AM, davidzill said:

Try it in a 49" curved super ultrawide...A-10C has never looked better

I also have the same monitor as you, bought it for sim racing and honestly it doesn't offer any advantages for flight sims because of trackIR, its a nice eye kandy sure but I could be using a normal 16:9 screen and it would be the same experience.

6 hours ago, Pekins said:

I also have the same monitor as you, bought it for sim racing and honestly it doesn't offer any advantages for flight sims because of trackIR, its a nice eye kandy sure but I could be using a normal 16:9 screen and it would be the same experience.

For me it is nice, all user preference I guess. I use the latest head/neck position mod  w/ trackir and I feel like I am sitting in the cockpit. The only disadvantage would come in the merge during ACM for sure, that's where VR makes its money. 

Edited by davidzill

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

On 5/1/2021 at 7:16 PM, WaWa74 said:

I'll add that for tech stuff B&H Photo is pretty freaking awesome with good prices and decent customer service. And they're not a flea market of cheap imported knock-off junk all shoveled into the same bin like Amazon and New Egg have become.

The only, tiny, caveat is the site is closed for ordering on the weekend for religious reasons.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

28 minutes ago, panton41 said:

I'll add that for tech stuff B&H Photo is pretty freaking awesome with good prices and decent customer service. And they're not a flea market of cheap imported knock-off junk all shoveled into the same bin like Amazon and New Egg have become.

The only, tiny, caveat is the site is closed for ordering on the weekend for religious reasons.

My HOTAS was a day late because of FedEx reasons.  B&H refunded me the shipping cost without me saying a word.  I would definitely order from them again.

• Like 1

mlMy experience on this topic: 

I have 4x32 inches monitors, I tried 3 landscape layout, also tried 4 in portrait, and 4 with 2 landscape in the middle and 2 portrait at side. They are all really good views in details in 2D displays. The total resolution are even better than one large 4K monitors. 

I also play with VR. I had valve index and recently got HP reverb G2.

Eventually I stay in VR. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

VR has it's issues for a Hog Pilot. I often note down targets on F10 and put them into the CDU as waypoints, which is a ballache in VR. I haven't quite got it set up so I can reliably stretch all the way round to get the cockpit lighting switches without stretching my neck out of shape.

But... with a G2 and 109% SS (the max I can use with a 3080) it kicks 2D in the nuts. The perspective in 2D is all wrong, when you get into VR the 3D effect brings the cockpit around you in a way that I've never seen on a monitor. Also, despite the relatively small sweet spot in the G2, the resolution in the centre is amazing. There's no question whether you'll be able to read the gauges or see the HUD/HMCS properly - it's fantasti. I love it 😄

3 hours ago, Morat said:

VR has it's issues for a Hog Pilot. I often note down targets on F10 and put them into the CDU as waypoints, which is a ballache in VR. I haven't quite got it set up so I can reliably stretch all the way round to get the cockpit lighting switches without stretching my neck out of shape.

But... with a G2 and 109% SS (the max I can use with a 3080) it kicks 2D in the nuts. The perspective in 2D is all wrong, when you get into VR the 3D effect brings the cockpit around you in a way that I've never seen on a monitor. Also, despite the relatively small sweet spot in the G2, the resolution in the centre is amazing. There's no question whether you'll be able to read the gauges or see the HUD/HMCS properly - it's fantasti. I love it 😄

Just in case you don't know about it:

Monitor and VR has different advantages.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

• VR all the way for immersion! Good for the adrenaline rush and bad for the neck 😉
  • Monitor with head tracker for more relaxed flying, looking at checklists/notes and generally a more comfortable time.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses. 

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

VR all the way for immersion! Good for the adrenaline rush and bad for the neck 

At least you don't have any actual Gs to contend with.

I could never go back to 2D flying.  I briefly flirted with TrackIR, but it just felt wrong on so many levels (no 1:1 movement, no depth, can still see the room around me).  The way I see it is that VR quality can only improve, whereas flat screen immersion will never improve.  I get that some people have motion sickness issues, or limited mobility, but for those who can, VR is a must IMHO.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

VR is great, but a "MUST" is a strong statement to get lots of enjoyment out of flight sims 😉

Edited by MIghtymoo

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

I will stand by it.  If you want to feel like you are genuinely flying and not just playing a computer game, then VR is a must.  I say this as a long time simmer and real world pilot, nothing beats the experience of VR, even if it means dialling back the visual quality a little.  YMMV etc.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Both Monitor and VR suck 🙃

Montior totally lacks the immersion. And VR is simply not there at the moment (Performance, Sweet Spot, Field of View, Shimmering, ...). But VR sure is the future and will improve. So it is a preview of what will be and I like it for that. 

Edited by Hive
  • Like 1