MFG Crosswind now offers damper kits for their pedals

Yeah I take it back.   All is good with it mounted over the center with the damper clamp flipped over in the correct orientation.      At some point I'm going to stuff something between the spacer and the bolt in the back.. but now I have it mounted over the center and the forces in either direction feel better.   

Still just the slightest spot of movement when switching directions where I don't really feel the damper, but see it moving on its rail and it holds position when I take my feet off with no spring attached.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

21 hours ago, Headwarp said:

If only my new VKB Gunfighter had a force trim mechanism..

Use light springs or remove altogether and tighten clutches, it will act as force trim. I have 200 extension with MCGU, running space-s cams and one #20 spring per axis. Stick stays in place.

6 hours ago, admiki said:

Use light springs or remove altogether and tighten clutches, it will act as force trim. I have 200 extension with MCGU, running space-s cams and one #20 spring per axis. Stick stays in place.

If choppers were my main source of simming I might, but I'm pretty well set up for an all around fix and don't quite think I'm getting into a fight with the dust cover on the gunfighter again anytime soon if I can help it.  I recently loosened them just to make sure nothing was interfering with their return to center point with the Avia S cams and wish the gimbal supported even heavier springs, but it's still leagues above the WH and I'm getting used to it.   I mostly fly fixed wings and very much rely on trim which is largely based on self centering sticks.    Even the MSFFB2 has a centering feel, it's just that the center position moves to suit trim functions in most aircraft that support it.  

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm still far more accurate with this thing than I ever could have been with an FFB device that didn't really allow for adjusting curves, despite being way more comfortable to fly with how it mimicked force trim.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any chance they will get restocked soon? Ive been wanting these dampers for a while now and never see them in stock anymore.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

7 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Any chance they will get restocked soon? Ive been wanting these dampers for a while now and never see them in stock anymore.

Hmm must be a high demand product for him - have you tried clicking on the notify me when in stock?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

yup, im always checking the website too. said was going to be restocked yesterday, never saw anything in stock.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

just got a message from him saying they should be in stock in the next 10-15 days, so hopefully they'll be in stock soon.

My wallpaper and skins

On 4/13/2021 at 10:12 PM, Art-J said:

Got mine retrofit kit installed today. Haven't had much time to fly unfortunately, so only did an hour or so of testing. Good impressions so far, though not enthusiastic - the dampened feel in itself is awesome, but noticeable loss of smoothness (infamous "stiction" one could say, as in umodded TH Warthog's case) during very small and slow inputs is a bit concerning. Will have to fiddle with it more and try other settings tomorrow.

I have made the same experience, if I want to make very precise inputs, it does not quite work, especially with WW2 and helicopters... the breakaway force is not quite without for my feeling.

I have tested the damper so 1 month and then removed again and find it much better without can finally fly absolutely precise again.

the proposed solutions here I have also tried.
And even if I removed the damper, I feel the breakaway force on the damper, maybe this is broken?
either that or I am too sensitive.

Just ordered Hegykc's mod and got me a damper to install it with. Hopefully his mod will show up really soon because Ive been wanting this mod for a while now.

My wallpaper and skins

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, but when I got there they were out of stock.

My wallpaper and skins

I saw the V1,2,3 kit was available, and just ordered.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:51 AM, Hobel said:

I have made the same experience, if I want to make very precise inputs, it does not quite work, especially with WW2 and helicopters... the breakaway force is not quite without for my feeling.

I have tested the damper so 1 month and then removed again and find it much better without can finally fly absolutely precise again.

the proposed solutions here I have also tried.
And even if I removed the damper, I feel the breakaway force on the damper, maybe this is broken?
either that or I am too sensitive.

At this price range it would not surprise me if there was the odd dud here and there.

Anyone...

How does it perform with choppers?

Did you try it without spring so that the pedals stay in position with no force applied?... feet resting on combat pedals.

In this configuration, was pushing the pedals smooth and slick, no initial sticking causing momentary tiny overshoots in pedal precision?

Does the damper apply enough resistance to reduce accidental pedal push from lazy legs going to idle mode?

Can it apply hind style resistance to pedal push without the above negatives? 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

12 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Anyone...

How does it perform with choppers?

Did you try it without spring so that the pedals stay in position with no force applied?... feet resting on combat pedals.

In this configuration, was pushing the pedals smooth and slick, no initial sticking causing momentary tiny overshoots in pedal precision?

Does the damper apply enough resistance to reduce accidental pedal push from lazy legs going to idle mode?

Can it apply hind style resistance to pedal push without the above negatives? 

yes i have tried everything with no satisfactory result  :I

I bought a damper but find the pedals won't recenter by themselves even on the lowest setting. 

Would you be able to give me an idea of how easy the damper should be moving at the lowest setting? I find it pretty hard to move and wondering if it should instead be easy and with almost no friction? 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, Hobel said:

yes i have tried everything with no satisfactory result  :I

On 9/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, inexus said:

I bought a damper but find the pedals won't recenter by themselves even on the lowest setting. 

Would you be able to give me an idea of how easy the damper should be moving at the lowest setting? I find it pretty hard to move and wondering if it should instead be easy and with almost no friction? 

So it will not re-centre with the lowest setting for planes? 

Close to centre though?

Does everyone find this?

Are you using the new soft spring?

For choppers, it would be my intention to quickly disconnect the spring and increase the damping effect so resistance is felt when pushing the pedal.... would this work well? 

I simply want an easy and quick solution for choppers (mostly) and planes.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The pedals wouldn't recentre even on the lowest damper setting. I'm not sure if I'm simply supposed to tighten the center spring. The spring is the default one that the Slaw comes with. 

I have nothing to compare with and so I am looking at returning the damper and try and get another one on Ebay or similar. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine a few months back , small bit of slack around the nut nearest front led to a magnified dead spot at the centre point of pedal movement , 2 layers of heat shrink later , snug fit and no more play.... excellent upgrade to the already excellent pedals 👌👌👌

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

This is such a good upgrade!

The moment I saw this upgrade I knew this was possibly everything I wanted from a pedal.... but I waited..... why..... WHY?

IT IS SUCH AN AWESOME UPGRADE FOR CHOPPER PILOTS!

Remove the spring and say good bye to the centre detent.

Crank up the dampers resistance and say hello to Oily liquid movement from your pedals..... Trim hold is the default bonus! 

Retraining your legs to work without a self centering spring takes a bit of work... it is a little bit closer to the real thing.

If you own V1 or V2 MFGs be careful of retightening the bearing, plastic grip nuts make it very difficult to feel how you are overtightening the bearing.

Slowly tighten until there is no more vertical free play in the bearing assembly (it will not move up or down). if you overtighten, I am sure it will be stiction hell!

It is probably only a fantastic upgrade for jets too mind (with spring and centre detent..... obvie).

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

Yep, same. Love my pedals with dampner and universal pedals

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 3 weeks later...

Simply sublime in a jet fighter.

Spring engaged, drop the damping factor by 5 or 6 clicks and it is just a lovely experience, 45 degs turn and pushing the rudder to drop the nose onto the target.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1