Timing Issue

Sharpe_95

I built a small air start mission with start time as 18:00 & yet in pit DED showing 15:00.

Short Track file attached 

AIR START VIPER MISSION TIME ISSUE b.trk

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Yeah but take into account that the DED displays Zulu time and not local. So you have to calculate timezone deviation. Which after a cold start depending on how quick you are will be a difference in time of a couple seconds, maybe minutes if you take into account the difference between Zulu and local. the hour will be different, yet the minutes and seconds should be the same. on the marianas map Zulu to local is about +12h, so instead of 18.00 your plane shows 06.00. but after a finished cold start, mission time might be 18.05 and you jet will be at 06.02z or something. and thats the issue

Added track to demonstrate

In hot starts the time is synced as you get instant power on the jet when you start the mission. not so during cold start. you lose those seconds until the engine is running or ground power is connected, until then the watch does not tick and will not sync at all despite GPS turned on. also the mission date is in 2016, so GPS is available

F-16_GPS-Time_not_sync_3.trk

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

Yeah but take into account that the DED displays Zulu time and not local. So you have to calculate timezone deviation. Which after a cold start depending on how quick you are will be a difference in time of a couple seconds, maybe minutes if you take into account the difference between Zulu and local. the hour will be different, yet the minutes and seconds should be the same. on the marianas map Zulu to local is about +12h, so instead of 18.00 your plane shows 06.00. but after a finished cold start, mission time might be 18.05 and you jet will be at 06.02z or something. and thats the issue

Added track to demonstrate

In hot starts the time is synced as you get instant power on the jet when you start the mission. not so during cold start. you lose those seconds until the engine is running or ground power is connected, until then the watch does not tick and will not sync at all despite GPS turned on. also the mission date is in 2016, so GPS is available

F-16_GPS-Time_not_sync_3.trk 1.21 MB · 1 download

Ok but that wasn't Marianas, it was Syria map over Cyprus & my DED displayed 15:00 & my mission start time as I explained was 18:00. When I flew Hornet & Hog.. it didn't matter where you were or how you started.. mission start time always equaled to time in Pit.

Please kindly fix ED  🙂

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Syria is Zulu +3, that matches your description of 15.00 instead of 18.00. times are not wrong on hotstarts. and thats just the viper using Zulu time instead of local but thats correct as is.

However, if GPS time would actually be working and syncing, it would probably be like the hornet or hog. or at the very least show the correct Zulu time in sync

Edited by Moonshine

6 minutes ago, RuskyV said:

I wonder if the individual client systems sync from the the server and the latency or ping between clients is what is causing the discrepancy in time.

Dose this happen for single player missions too?

It‘s not the latency. Basically it is: mission running and jet cold with no power at all (no ground power, no battery etc) then the time will be off. The faster you start the jet after spawning, the smaller the deviation you have.

If you spawn cold, sit on the ground for 10 minutes and then start the jet, the clock will be horribly out of sync

• Thanks 1

A little more info, when MMC is powered off the system time disappears from the TIME page as the system time is an MMC function. System time begins counting on MMC power so it should be possible to start UFC power first, watch DED TIME page, then turn MMC on and time will pop in the appropriate field.

that is true, however, with the GPS turned on and the MMC turned on, time should automatically sync to GPS time with no input needed from the pilot

cant publish the source here, but NL did not react to the DM i sent him yet. (probably too much in his inbox)

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, Moonshine said:

that is true, however, with the GPS turned on and the MMC turned on, time should automatically sync to GPS time with no input needed from the pilot

cant publish the source here, but NL did not react to the DM i sent him yet. (probably too much in his inbox)

The clock in the F-16CM-50 will always resume where it left off when it was shut down. At a later point during the startup when a GPS signal has been acquired the time will be automatically set to GPS SYSTEM in the time page. If you don't want GPS SYSTEM time this has to be overridden manually on the time page.

• Thanks 3

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

12 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Still does not explain why the clock wont set itself to actual GPS time with GPS turned on and it showing up as GPS on the time page

Oh, you mean in DCS? Sorry, I was talking real life functionality. Yeah, it's obviously not properly implemented in DCS.

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:36 AM, WHOGX5 said:

The clock in the F-16CM-50 will always resume where it left off when it was shut down. At a later point during the startup when a GPS signal has been acquired the time will be automatically set to GPS SYSTEM in the time page. If you don't want GPS SYSTEM time this has to be overridden manually on the time page.

If this is the case, wouldn't it make more sense for the clock to just always show the correct time instead of simulating what it would do on start up and just always being wrong? Seems like showing the correct time when its not supposed to is the lesser evil of the two options. 

Edited by 777coletrain

1 hour ago, 777coletrain said:

If this is the case, wouldn't it make more sense for the clock to just always show the correct time instead of simulating what it would do on start up and just always being wrong? Seems like showing the correct time when its not supposed to is the lesser evil of the two options. 

What makes most sense is to just implement GPS time functionality as it is on the jet IRL. In DCS missions with GPS available, I'd guess it would pretty much mean the same as "clock always correct (after some GPS acquisition delay on startup)". And without GPS in mission, you'd have to time hack as you should.

2 hours ago, itn said:

What makes most sense is to just implement GPS time functionality as it is on the jet IRL. In DCS missions with GPS available, I'd guess it would pretty much mean the same as "clock always correct (after some GPS acquisition delay on startup)". And without GPS in mission, you'd have to time hack as you should.

I agree, but I think until that stuff is implemented it would be nice to have the clock actually be useful. 

18 minutes ago, Ignition said:

Today I practiced TOS with a friend, he was on a F-18C and I had to manualy sync the clock time to his because there was 2 mintes of difference.

Yeah it‘s a pity. Even the same flight of F-16s. If you dont spaen in and power it on at the exact same time, your clocks are out of sync. For any actualy TOS you‘d have to do a manual sync of the clock or use the hack 

• ED Team

I have marked reported and merged with another related report. 

When we have news we will pass it on. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2