SSD Setup Question

I currently am going with a Mini ITX build and I am wondering what everyone thinks

1x Western Digital SN850 Gen 4 M.2 (1TB) (OS)

1x Western Digital SN850 Gen 3 M.2 (2TB) (Steam)

Is the 1TB enough for my OS drive and only os and small apps like discord and stuff?

Also will a 2TB be fine for my steam games which will include DCS World?

Should I go 2TB M.2 for OS and 4TB for steam

Edited by iKyrThraad993i

If you are going for a min ITX, make sure that the mainboard and power supply can handle a good Graphics Card, as DCS needs a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better to have reasonable graphics quality. Also make sure that the ITX case that you use has enough space for such a graphics card.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

55 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

If you are going for a min ITX, make sure that the mainboard and power supply can handle a good Graphics Card, as DCS needs a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better to have reasonable graphics quality. Also make sure that the ITX case that you use has enough space for such a graphics card.

Thanks, 

Mini ITX has been really popular. 

My Build

Intel I7-11700K

Asus ROG STRIX Z590-I Gaming Wifi

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4

Asus STRIX RTX 3080

Corsair SF750 Platinum 

My concern is the M.2 Setup

23 minutes ago, iKyrThraad993i said:

My concern is the M.2 Setup

OK, a full install of DCS uses about 280 GB for the program, plus whatever you need for the /Saved Games/ folder .. I have a lot of liveries, missions, tracks and screenshots, so mine uses about 90 GB.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 hours ago, iKyrThraad993i said:

I currently am going with a Mini ITX build and I am wondering what everyone thinks

1x Western Digital SN850 Gen 4 M.2 (1TB) (OS)

1x Western Digital SN850 Gen 3 M.2 (2TB) (Steam)

Is the 1TB enough for my OS drive and only os and small apps like discord and stuff?

Also will a 2TB be fine for my steam games which will include DCS World?

Should I go 2TB M.2 for OS and 4TB for steam

Well to be honest the size of the drive depends on the total size of your games. I could guess and say xx-TB's but it would just be a guess. I would try and calculate the Total of ALL your games and then base your size off of that.. remember it is good rule of thumb to have 20-30% free space on the drive..

So with that in mind let us know what your games total too including DCS Plus the Saved Games folder which you can move to the 2nd drive if you so wish. 1TB should be good for OS and some smaller programs.. I did that and had a 500GB drive with just windows, OneDrive @68GB's and a few small programs drivers for Windows and such and had plenty of leftover space.. 1TB should be plenty for Windows 10. 

And I would take caution with a Mini ITX build especially with a Strix 3080. 😉

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

55 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Well to be honest the size of the drive depends on the total size of your games. I could guess and say xx-TB's but it would just be a guess. I would try and calculate the Total of ALL your games and then base your size off of that.. remember it is good rule of thumb to have 20-30% free space on the drive..

So with that in mind let us know what your games total too including DCS Plus the Saved Games folder which you can move to the 2nd drive if you so wish. 1TB should be good for OS and some smaller programs.. I did that and had a 500GB drive with just windows, OneDrive @68GB's and a few small programs drivers for Windows and such and had plenty of leftover space.. 1TB should be plenty for Windows 10. 

And I would take caution with a Mini ITX build especially with a Strix 3080. 😉

Why caution with a Mini ITX build with a Strix 3080? There are tons of Mini ITX builds with a 3080 strix.

I recently build a Mini Itx Build for a Friend using the Z590 Unify and the 3090 Strix and had no problems. Yes thermals are within range maybe a tad higher then other form factors with bigger cases but they are way below and have no problems boosting.

Edited by iKyrThraad993i

35 minutes ago, iKyrThraad993i said:

Why caution with a Mini ITX build with a Strix 3080? There are tons of Mini ITX builds with a 3080 strix.

I recently build a Mini Itx Build for a Friend using the Z590 Unify and the 3090 Strix and had no problems. Yes thermals are within range maybe a tad higher then other form factors with bigger cases but they are way below and have no problems boosting.

Well OK if you say so. I was thinking since I just built a ATX Mid tower and that was small as it was I figured the Mini ITX to be even smaller.. but hey if you say it fits I am not arguing with you.. so about your space requirements..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2