MS33558 Font

hsssonic

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Wisky:

your a lifesaver

having to make all the text in inkscape and then add them as extrusion in fusion 360 always made this so bothersome 🙈

Can you fill the letters appropriately ?

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

Yes, Whisky, what you said, A, B, D, R were the candidates. (4.5mm height).

But I might mix my thoughts up between my CNC end bit engraving experiences and the ones from laser engraving.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

Works fine on NX, thanks. I remember having trouble in Autodesk Inventor with the original version. Some letters would not behave. I haven't tested the original version in NX but I bet it would have the same problems in every CAD

Edit: spoke too soon! Even though I did a successful extrusion with letters A-Z and numbers 0-9 and it worked great, now I'm trying to make an F-16 Master Caution indicator, the S and C fails to extrude. Also the kerning is problematic, M and A in MASTER overlap slightly

Edited by Nikolas_A

Next iteration... Kerning is quite challenging, but for every solved problem i do learn something new...

Every letter should be extrudeable. If there are still some kerning issues, maybe place single letters and place them right, or feel fre to edit the font. I used the free software fontforge.

ExtrudeTest.png

MS33558ver3.ttf

Edited by hsssonic
  • Like 1

How was this process completed?

Let's say you stumbled across a couple of real world F/A-18 panels, and then used a 600mm telephoto lens to take an orthographic image, and had a very patient wife who created a font based on size-calibrated images.  BUT, then had the same issue with the font software and could only display, rather than cut in CAD.

IMG_5797.jpg

@jcagle

I opened the font in fontforge, corrected all inconsistencies (deleted the overlaps, added missing extremas, converted all points to integers) to be a real ttf then reencoded it, validated and "resaved" it as truetypefont.

There is still some kerning missing, but thats an different more timeconsuming issue.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:25 AM, hsssonic said:

Next iteration... Kerning is quite challenging, but for every solved problem i do learn something new...

Every letter should be extrudeable. If there are still some kerning issues, maybe place single letters and place them right, or feel fre to edit the font. I used the free software fontforge.

ExtrudeTest.png

MS33558ver3.ttf 11.35 kB · 17 downloads

Nice work. They look good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, hsssonic said:

@jcagle

I opened the font in fontforge, corrected all inconsistencies (deleted the overlaps, added missing extremas, converted all points to integers) to be a real ttf then reencoded it, validated and "resaved" it as truetypefont.

There is still some kerning missing, but thats an different more timeconsuming issue.

Great, thanks for the advice! Have a working font set with reasonable (major) spacing, but as you noted, could put more time into kerning.

SNSR.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, Nikolas_A said:

Damn! I don't know how it can work in one instance and fail in another! I can fix it by projecting the text on a new sketch and filling the gaps there, but I can't understand how it can work some times...

ms33558.png

Sorry, I was busy lately. With my last tests I had some similar Problems... A few letters wont extrude and until now I have no idea why...

On 4/11/2021 at 1:09 AM, jcagle said:

Great, thanks for the advice! Have a working font set with reasonable (major) spacing, but as you noted, could put more time into kerning.

SNSR.png

Maybe you can share your iterations, ´cause mine seem to fail after few tests. I have no clue why there are suddenly letters that wont extrude...

there is a few letters and numbers that will give a faulty sketch:

i dont remember all of them but it was

Q, 0(read Zero), 2, 4, 6

also i was having problems with extruding C, I, N, V (had to close some curves manually)

Next try... I did some overhaul to a few letters (not really understanding why they didn´t work)

This is my solution for today.

grafik.png

Does anybody have a close to complete list of words (for A-10C, F/A-18, F16,...) to be engraved or lasered, so that i can test the letters and kerning for this special stuff?

MS33558ver5.ttf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, hsssonic said:

Maybe you can share your iterations, ´cause mine seem to fail after few tests. I have no clue why there are suddenly letters that wont extrude...

The font was made from scratch, using a pseudo telecentric image of the F/A-18 panel I posted above. Letters were cropped and calibrated based on size and then imported into a Font Builder where they were drawn/digitized one letter at a time (sample below). So I am not sure how directly the font features we've built will translate to the MS33558 font.

Also, as with all things hobby.....it's not finished yet! I have some sources for numbers, but would like them to be better.

Font Build.png

Edited by jcagle
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is a great thread. I found the hyphen and period were not adapted, so I used (barely understand) FontForge and edited the hypen and period characters by copying an 'F' and deleting all but the horizontal component, and a 'T' and deleting all but the base for the period. Having barely any idea what I was doing, it seems somewhat successful, but if someone who Actually knows what they are doing could do 'upgrade' edits. Thanks for letting me in the group. Updated file attached.

-Christian

MS33558v5.2FF.ttf

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Excellent work on the font folks!  Derek created that font in 2000 for the simpits.org group. 🙂  I'm sure he'd be happy to know his work is still appreciated!

BTW, for those that weren't aware of it, "real" aircraft panels are typically made using a silk screen process - unless they're a one off or a repair, and then I've heard laser engraving is used.

g.

Edited by geneb
forgot sig.
  • Like 2

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

• 6 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 4:02 AM, jcagle said:

The font was made from scratch, using a pseudo telecentric image of the F/A-18 panel I posted above. Letters were cropped and calibrated based on size and then imported into a Font Builder where they were drawn/digitized one letter at a time (sample below). So I am not sure how directly the font features we've built will translate to the MS33558 font.

Also, as with all things hobby.....it's not finished yet! I have some sources for numbers, but would like them to be better.

Font Build.png

That panel is not MS33558.

Matter of fact, MS33558 is mostly used on instruments, not panels. Most panels are Gorton Condensed, Futura Condensed etc

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It looks like Gorton Digital can be had here - https://github.com/drdnar/GortonDigital.  It directly references MS33558 and probably should be the definitive font for these purposes.  That being said, I'm having a hell of a time getting fontforge to run without dying. 🙂

Edit: I should note that while the Gorton Digital typeface is very good, it differs greatly in a few spots from the MS33558 definition.

g.

Edited by geneb
additonal information

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.