Will it be the same in VR as others?

drack

Did i miss something? I fly DCS for 1.5 years in VR now(no mods - just vanilla), many of my flight hours are in helicopters(MI-8, KA-50....Gazelle/UH1-H), never had any performance hit from rotors. There are fixed wing planes which hit the performance harder than any helicopter released yet.

• Like 9

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Yup - the helicopters have been some of the best performers in VR for me over 4 different PCs since 1.5 - even when 2.5 was first released and VR took a huge nose-dive I was flying around NTTR with the Gazelle and zero issues, just like prior to that in Normandy with 2.1 at hedgetop height with the Ka-50. Still have a video of that I made for YT. Since then things have gradually got better so if it's that bad for you, you either don't have the right hardware or you have settings or other issues, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I have no problem flying in VR with either my Oculus Rift S or my Vive Pro, and I mostly fly the helicopters. I use some pretty high settings for what my machine is.

I’m using an Intel i7 7700, mildly OCed, 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM, a GeForce GTX 1080G1 (Gigabyte factory OCed 1080), and a 5400 RPM HDD. Not exactly the latest, greatest powerhouse.

My new PC has now arrived and I’m busy transferring everything over. The new one has an i9 10900K, 32 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, and 1 TB SSD plus 6 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3. I expect things to get even better. Plus I have a Pro Flight Trainer Puma with toe brake mod coming.

If your machine is struggling with DCS helicopters in VR, you either need to upgrade your machine very urgently, or do some in-depth troubleshooting.

What are your PC specs? That would make it easier for us to advise you.

As for the Mi-24P, I can’t wait to get my hands on that once I’m up and running with the new PC and the Puma controls. I buy all DCS helicopters, Eagle Dynamics or 3rd party. Helicopters are automatic purchases for me. And don’t even get me started on the Apache that’s coming, LOL!

Anyway, give us more information and one of us might know how to improve your situation. Everybody ought to be enjoying the helicopters, but we can’t help you if we don’t know your situation.

Edited by Oubaas
  • Like 2

• ED Team
4 hours ago, drack said:

All the helicopters in DCS suffer a huge fps hit due to the Blades.

Unfortunately this makes them unflyable.

This mod:-https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310696/  makes only the UH1 flyable in VR.

Will the Hind suffer from the same problem?

What is your system spec?

Not seeing a problem myself with helicopters in VR

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Maybe the OP means MP performance? The absolute worst FPS I experienced flying Mi8 in the last helicopters tournament. As soon as several other helos were in my FOV my FPS tanked below 10 from 45 average. Don't have it as bad on fixed wing servers...

• Like 1

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

On 3/28/2021 at 9:56 PM, impalor said:

Maybe the OP means MP performance? The absolute worst FPS I experienced flying Mi8 in the last helicopters tournament. As soon as several other helos were in my FOV my FPS tanked below 10 from 45 average. Don't have it as bad on fixed wing servers...

This is could be a good point. Depends on what kind of method is used to render the spinning rotor blades. I've not noticed it, but I've rarely seen more than one or two helicopters on screen, ever. Maybe something that the devs should look into?

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Would not want to attempt to fly MP in busy complex servers with anything less than 32Gb fast ram.  

Usual rules apply for VR, need to be on a fast SSD, 32GB+ ram, 4.6Ghz + CPU, GTX1080Ti / RTX 2080 minimum standard.

As for the specific issue with rota blades?  Not experienced this myself on the Huey, Mi8 or Ka50 and fly most of them daily.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

This for me will bring the Syria map alive. It runs fine but has poor draw distance in VR. But at low levels looks great, and runs fine for me too. Steady 45fps with a HP reverb. 
Mi-24 Hind low level over Syria=lots of fun. 
Now channel map, that just doesn’t work in VR for me. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Hi Folks,

Sorry for my negative sounding first post.

The product of a very grey lockdown covid type day.

Thanks to anyone who has given positive feedback regardless.

I'm glad not everyone is getting this issue.

if you look at the feedback that mnemonic has had about his work I'm not the only one getting this problem.

User Files (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

I'm sure I've seen posts about this sort of thing pop-up from time to time.

I was holding my breath waiting for him to work his thing with the others.

I think I've seen something in the weekly news or some where about propellers being reworked.

Maybe that will help.

I'm running an index headset and rig based on a 2080ti.

Feeling like I'm missing out on the Hind:(

Does anyone know of a way to make the rotors not appear?

The best I can manage with my limited knowledge is to delete the contents of a few files and I end up with a strange camouflage pattern.

I would definitely pre-order the hind if we could do that.

Thanks ED for a great sim.

Edited by drack
  • Like 1

• drack changed the title to Will it be the same in VR as others?

I looked at mnemonic's work and the feedback, and it seems some folks have this problem. He mentions reprojection.

That may be why I don't have this problem. I turn reprojection off (Disabled) with the Oculus Debug Tool then restart the Oculus Service through the Debug Tool interface because I get better frame rates and no stutters that way.

If you can figure out how to turn off reprojection with an Index headset, you might want to try it. Doing it with the Oculus Rift S on my machine improved many things for me. Good luck!

drack you have still not described what exactly is your issue with flying helicopters in VR? What is the problem that you are seeing on your end?

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Does the new advanced propeller modeling touch the helicopter rotors as well, or do players still need such mods in fuure?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

40 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Does the new advanced propeller modeling touch the helicopter rotors as well, or do players still need such mods in fuure?

It was mentioned somewhere on the forums that it's only props initially, and they still need to work on the technology to make it work with much bigger rotors

Thanks. Thought that they would have already counted for that from the start, but maybe the first step was for the small rotors first (like could be nice to see it as well for AGM-62 Wall-Eye generator or the L-39 wind turbine etc. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.