TechniqueSorting=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx

[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=1.000000
CASContrast=0.500000
Contrast=1.000000
MaxDelta=1.000000
Saturation=1.000000
Sharpening=1.000000

Thks @Sr.   Tried your 1st one... for me Nevada is all red with that and camouflage of aircrafts are all wrong colours.  Not sure if me specific of HMD specific (got G2)

7 minutes ago, zildac said:

Out of curiosity, and off topic. What are you using Citrix for? 

Work.  Connect to my office PC/network from home.  Not an option to uninstall

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

4 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Thks @Sr.   Tried your 1st one... for me Nevada is all red with that and camouflage of aircrafts are all wrong colours.  Not sure if me specific of HMD specific (got G2)

Work.  Connect to my office PC/network from home.  Not an option to uninstall

ICA client...gotcha 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I had downloaded Reshade a few days before seeing this thread, but didn't know it wasn't compatible out-of-the-box with VR. Thanks everyone for the insights and posting about the VR version of it that's out there. Was able to try this out this weekend. Really positive improvement. Loving the real-time nature of switching out filters.

zI found using the LumaSharpen filter on top of the VRCAS filter worked well for me. Still tweaking settings. I might bump the contrast and saturation back up a bit or turn back on the HDR filter but wanted to run stock colors to isolate and dial in sharpening and performance stuff first.

image.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

I had downloaded Reshade a few days before seeing this thread, but didn't know it wasn't compatible out-of-the-box with VR. Thanks everyone for the insights and posting about the VR version of it that's out there. Was able to try this out this weekend. Really positive improvement. Loving the real-time nature of switching out filters.

zI found using the LumaSharpen filter on top of the VRCAS filter worked well for me. Still tweaking settings. I might bump the contrast and saturation back up a bit or turn back on the HDR filter but wanted to run stock colors to isolate and dial in sharpening and performance stuff first.

image.png

Will have a play with the Lumasharpen filter too, I guess the "holy grail" filter I'm looking for is one that kills the shimmering in VR....not sure it exists unfortunately 🙄

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

8 minutes ago, zildac said:

Will have a play with the Lumasharpen filter too, I guess the "holy grail" filter I'm looking for is one that kills the shimmering in VR....not sure it exists unfortunately 🙄

I'm on that quest too. I had the shimmering down a good bit by upping PD and SS, but then decided to chase framerate.. and now shimmer is my co-pilot again. I'm trying to convince myself it's fine, because having the framerate is so nice. It hasn't worked yet.

Just now, Monkwolf said:

I'm on that quest too. I had the shimmering down a good bit by upping PD and SS, but then decided to chase framerate.. and now shimmer is my co-pilot again. I'm trying to convince myself it's fine, because having the framerate is so nice. It hasn't worked yet.

Just for fun, last night I switched my Reverb G2 to 60Hz under WMR settings and DCS MSAA to 4x. Yeah it was a bit laggy, but man it sure gives glance at how awesome this came could look with proper anti aliasing. 

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

😀 An endless quest with the current engine I think, unfortunately

12 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Just for fun, last night I switched my Reverb G2 to 60Hz under WMR settings and DCS MSAA to 4x. Yeah it was a bit laggy, but man it sure gives glance at how awesome this came could look with proper anti aliasing. 

I really don't see any noticeable lessening of the shimmer with 4xMSAA, versus 2x the only thing that helps is using @speed-of-heattweaked Kegetys mod with Tazs fixes. But it does introduce some artifacting on the MFD's but I can live with it far more easily than the resultant shimmer fest...

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Yeah I cannot even put MSAA to 2X in VR, because it brings my RTX 2060 to its knees, I just have to pretend I am still in the 1990's until I can get a better GPU 🙂

• Like 1

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Same

32 minutes ago, jib said:

Yeah I cannot even put MSAA to 2X in VR, because it brings my RTX 2060 to its knees, I just have to pretend I am still in the 1990's until I can get a better GPU 🙂

Same boat. Fight between frames and clarity 🙁 I don’t expect any time soon to upgrade though !

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

So just tried this. I'm  impressed, overall it does make the terrain look MUCH better for me. Its almost like there is a milky layer that DCS has that this removes and it makes the colors "pop"  and it looks much more "normal" with the reshade.  EXCEPT in the cockpit, any thing I'm trying is making the cockpits really really dark. Anyone have a solution for this, its crazy noticable, and makes the pit really difficult to use. 

Also any notice if this effects the "flood lights in the pit"

Also is there a way to bind "end" to anything to toggle it on or off. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

So just tried this. I'm  impressed, overall it does make the terrain look MUCH better for me. Its almost like there is a milky layer that DCS has that this removes and it makes the colors "pop"  and it looks much more "normal" with the reshade.  EXCEPT in the cockpit, any thing I'm trying is making the cockpits really really dark. Anyone have a solution for this, its crazy noticable, and makes the pit really difficult to use. 

Also any notice if this effects the "flood lights in the pit"

Also is there a way to bind "end" to anything to toggle it on or off. 

Agreed, after using this it makes it feel like stock DCS has some blur effect applied. I can't say I noticed any difference with cockput being darker or any affect on flood lights. Which filters/shaders are you running?

You can bind the hotkeys to whatever - it's in the settings tab of the reshade popup. One key to toggle the popup, other key to toggle whether reshade is active.

7 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

Agreed, after using this it makes it feel like stock DCS has some blur effect applied. I can't say I noticed any difference with cockput being darker or any affect on flood lights. Which filters/shaders are you running?

You can bind the hotkeys to whatever - it's in the settings tab of the reshade popup. One key to toggle the popup, other key to toggle whether reshade is active.

Just the standard shader I guess, I mainly played with saturation/contrast/brightness, terrain now looks great. Cockpit looks way worse/darker though. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

19 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Just the standard shader I guess, I mainly played with saturation/contrast/brightness, terrain now looks great. Cockpit looks way worse/darker though. 

I noticed a strange darkening to the exterior of the aircraft while I was tweaking settings. I couldn't seem to get it to go away or switch presets unless I restarted DCS. For now, I'm sticking with the defaults. Just based off my tendency to make matters worse. 🤣

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

7 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

I think I ran into this tonight while messing with the settings. Seems contrast/brightness can cause shadows and the cockpit to go real dark real quick.

Experimentally I put Lefuneste mod on top...nothing broke.

Part of his mod is a cheap cost fxaa filter and with both of these enabled it looks better than vanilla as regards to shimmering.

A coding expert is needed to merge these 2 mods into 1.

Heck Id even pay a few bucks for that.

One thing I have noticed is how much crisper small water waves are now..much better!

Edited by aceviper
  • Like 2

Having done plenty of image editing over the years, I was not expecting the results to be this dramatic.  It's like a film has been removed from the lenses.

Like others have said, sharpening does not help the shimmer.  If anything, the sharpening works on contrasty areas where shimmer is going to be a problem.

The higher quality an image you feed the sharpening algorithm, the better the result.

I used to run my DCS gamma at around 1.5, but doing so didn't leave me a lot of room for color corrections.  To adjust the color I set the gamma back up to 2.1 and made very slight color corrections, using differences of .002 for some options for example.

It will be exciting to see what you can do with this in the future.  This feels like just scratching the surface.

• Like 1

Sharpening is basically an increase in contrast around the edge of area of interest.  Hence, too much sharpening can increase aliasing artifacts (shimmering, pixelation, etc.). This is why using it together with an AA algorithm is important.  I’d love to see TAA option for DCS as this can virtually eliminate shimmering issue.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

30 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Sharpening is basically an increase in contrast around the edge of area of interest.  Hence, too much sharpening can increase aliasing artifacts (shimmering, pixelation, etc.). This is why using it together with an AA algorithm is important.  I’d love to see TAA option for DCS as this can virtually eliminate shimmering issue.

Yeah that would be very nice indeed. Perhaps someday.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Have to say this is a good find.  Works very well with my rig which is getting older now. 

Everything looks much more clear to me including the Cockpit.

The veil has been lifted.

(I am able to keep 100% Resolution)

No noticeable performance hit.

Thanks OP and those who tested and tweaked.

This is great!

What I do not understand though, is why ED could not have already done something like this to enhance VR for the Sim?

<S>

System: 

Thing is....Zuckerberg is definitely an Alien... Some Kind of Grey Hybrid

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs

Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, Razor Nari Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED,

HP G2, Win 10

Edited by MegOhm_SD
Added Specs
  • Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Omg this is a real gamechanger for me, especially for spotting ground targets!

Still need to check out all the setting but so far i'm really impressed

Thanks for this 🙂

• Like 2
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

Just tried this out last night and it's pretty incredible! The colors look so much better and the sharpness is definitely a big improvement. The clarity enhancement was enough that I've now turned my resolution down a bit (from 100% to 85% with my G2) to increase performance. It doesn't quite look as clear as native 100% resolution but it's a worthy tradeoff to me -- still far better looking than 85% resolution without the shader. I wasn't expecting the colors to look so much better too -- it's like an artificial haze has been removed and the muted tones are now vibrant without looking like oversaturated crappy HDR.

Note for Oculus users: if you happen to have a Quest 1 or Quest 2, I think you could still use this mod if you're using the Virtual Desktop app (you can find it on App Lab) since it utilizes SteamVR. Of course there are some tradeoffs like a bit of latency (not super noticeable IMO but it depends heavily on your networking setup) and the streaming compression (but I think it looks pretty good with the bitrate maxed out). Also I believe neither motion smoothing nor ASW work with it but that may have only applied to previous versions. You also can't tweak the resolution granularly, there are 3 options only in the Virtual Desktop settings (changing the SteamVR resolution does nothing). Disclaimer: now that I have a G2 I only use the Quest 2/Virtual Desktop for shooters so it's been a while since I've fired up DCS with it so YMMV.

Edited by Markdude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Markdude said:

Just tried this out last night and it's pretty incredible! The colors look so much better and the sharpness is definitely a big improvement. The clarity enhancement was enough that I've now turned my resolution down a bit (from 100% to 85% with my G2) to increase performance. It doesn't quite look as clear as native 100% resolution but it's a worthy tradeoff to me -- still far better looking than 85% resolution without the shader. I wasn't expecting the colors to look so much better too -- it's like an artificial haze has been removed and the muted tones are now vibrant without looking like oversaturated crappy HDR.

Note for Oculus users: if you happen to have a Quest 1 or Quest 2, I think you could still use this mod if you're using the Virtual Desktop app (you can find it on App Lab) since it utilizes SteamVR. Of course there are some tradeoffs like a bit of latency (not super noticeable IMO but it depends heavily on your networking setup) and the streaming compression (but I think it looks pretty good with the bitrate maxed out). Also I believe neither motion smoothing nor ASW work with it but that may have only applied to previous versions. You also can't tweak the resolution granularly, there are 3 options only in the Virtual Desktop settings (changing the SteamVR resolution does nothing). Disclaimer: now that I have a G2 I only use the Quest 2/Virtual Desktop for shooters so it's been a while since I've fired up DCS with it so YMMV.

I use Quest2 with Link and StreamVR just to test this VR shader (which is amazing) and ASW works if you set it in ODT (OTT). I haven't test performance yet but the added clarity is a big bonus.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

How do you get it to work with Quest 2 and the link cable? Do you just have SteamVR also running in the background? I was using this mod with my G2 but since that is currently broken and I'm back to using the Quest 2 I'm missing the clarity this mod gave when I was using it with the G2.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2