NEW: Universal VR shader

Sr.

Yes, and you have to rename it before you apply it; you might need to run a dcs repair 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The mechanisms vary, so experiment and find which one works best for you.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I've been using Fholger's shader mod for a few months now and I absolutely love it. Colors are so incredibly vivid (grass actually looks green instead of grey-ish), the (imho) ugly and persistent haze in DCS is gone or at least reduced. Everything just looks much more crisp! Also being able to enable/disable this shader mod by simple pressing the "Home" or "End" key makes it so easy to see the image improvement.

Now, if I'm not mistaking, this shader mod (as well as the one from Kegetys) also improve performance, right?

Forgive me if I perhaps jump to conclusions here and feel free to correct me if I do, but I get the idea that most DCS (VR) users are using some kind of shader mod. So...

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but why doesn't ED implement some sort of shader mod/option to their core game?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

Now, if I'm not mistaking, this shader mod (as well as the one from Kegetys) also improve performance, right?

This is primarily a way of getting Reshade to work in VR. It's a quality enhancement mod which gives the end user more sliders to play with, rather than a performance mod.

The Kegetys shaders are kind of the opposite. They're a replacement for DCS's stock shaders that should boost performance on most systems, while making minimal (noticeable) changes to visual quality.

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but why doesn't ED implement some sort of shader mod/option to their core game?

There could be a host of reasons. VR may be getting more prevalent among simmers, but their primary market is still the pancake crowd. Creating new sim features and new DLC content generates good income, making your game engine perform better in VR might too but not to the same extent. I've heard there are long-term performance enhancements in the works that will benefit everyone, so perhaps it would be a waste of their time messing with minor short-term hacks for the VR crowd right now. Who knows?

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

I've been using Fholger's shader mod for a few months now and I absolutely love it. Colors are so incredibly vivid (grass actually looks green instead of grey-ish), the (imho) ugly and persistent haze in DCS is gone or at least reduced. Everything just looks much more crisp! Also being able to enable/disable this shader mod by simple pressing the "Home" or "End" key makes it so easy to see the image improvement.

Forgive me if I perhaps jump to conclusions here and feel free to correct me if I do, but I get the idea that most DCS (VR) users are using some kind of shader mod. So...

This particular mod definately doesn't improve performance, in fact it degrades it. However, I can't live without it either! It's actually an early Reshade mod which he developed to work with SteamVR games. Reshade has since been upgraded such that its native version 5.0 will now work with SteamVR and DCS out of the box. That said, if you particularly like this version's effect (which uses the VR CAS Color.fx Reshade effect) then I don't think it's worth upgrading to Reshade 5.0 unless you want to experiment with other Reshade effects.

If you want mods that improve VR performance then the reccomended ones are vrperfkit (also by FHolgar) and the Simplex Shader mod.

Simplex is here : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/ (It's a cut down version of kegetys' which passes IC check)

vrperfkit is here : https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit

..though you actually want this version https://github.com/cedriclmenard/vrperfkit/releases/tag/v0.2.2-dcs-ffr

which fixes his Fixed Foveated Rendering mod to work in DCS (which buys you even more performance)

Note that if you want to use FHolgar's reshade mod along with vrperfkit then you need to rename one of their dxgi.dll files (as they both use it) as d3d11.dll. Doesn't matter which one you change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

This particular mod definately doesn't improve performance, in fact it degrades it. However, I can't live without it either! It's actually an early Reshade mod which he developed to work with SteamVR games. Reshade has since been upgraded such that its native version 5.0 will now work with SteamVR and DCS out of the box. That said, if you particularly like this version's effect (which uses the VR CAS Color.fx Reshade effect) then I don't think it's worth upgrading to Reshade 5.0 unless you want to experiment with other Reshade effects.

If you want mods that improve VR performance then the reccomended ones are vrperfkit (also by FHolgar) and the Simplex Shader mod.

Simplex is here : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/ (It's a cut down version of kegetys' which passes IC check)

vrperfkit is here : https://github.com/fholger/vrperfkit

..though you actually want this version https://github.com/cedriclmenard/vrperfkit/releases/tag/v0.2.2-dcs-ffr

which fixes his Fixed Foveated Rendering mod to work in DCS (which buys you even more performance)

Note that if you want to use FHolgar's reshade mod along with vrperfkit then you need to rename one of their dxgi.dll files (as they both use it) as d3d11.dll. Doesn't matter which one you change.

Do not forget my mod : it give you up to +300% fps on "explosion heavy" (CBU, miniguns,...) or "dawn shadow" context.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Not sure if anyone else has tried it as yet but just tried Reshade 5.0.2, after running 5.0 for a while (I skipped the 5.0.1 release) and I'm seeing circa  .5 - .75ms decrease in GPU frame time. I quite literally copied the new DLL into a copy of my existing Reshade 5.0 config so that's the only change. Caveat, that I only tested this sitting on the ramp in the Hornet Instant action "ready on the ramp" mission. Whilst not exhaustive by any stretch of the imagination, it is still alike for like comparison. I can simply enable and disable the 5.0 and 5.0.2 versions via OvGME to compare. Nothing in the changelog to suggest any kind of changes that might create the slight performance increase, however I did notice that the DLL is smaller so perhaps some path optimisations?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Not sure if anyone else has tried it as yet but just tried Reshade 5.0.2, after running 5.0 for a while (I skipped the 5.0.1 release) and I'm seeing circa  .5 - .75ms decrease in GPU frame time. I quite literally copied the new DLL into a copy of my existing Reshade 5.0 config so that's the only change. Caveat, that I only tested this sitting on the ramp in the Hornet Instant action "ready on the ramp" mission. Whilst not exhaustive by any stretch of the imagination, it is still alike for like comparison. I can simply enable and disable the 5.0 and 5.0.2 versions via OvGME to compare. Nothing in the changelog to suggest any kind of changes that might create the slight performance increase, however I did notice that the DLL is smaller so perhaps some path optimisations?

Stupid and very noob question, how can You extract only the .dll file from the .exe? Cause could be very helpful substitute only it leaving al the conf the same.
Thx.

1 minute ago, Hunter Joker said:

Stupid and very noob question, how can You extract only the .dll file from the .exe? Cause could be very helpful substitute only it leaving al the conf the same.
Thx.

You can "cheat". Create an empty directory. Add a txt file and rename it to .exe. When you run the Reshade installer, point it to said directory and "fake" exe, and then lift the resultant dxgi.dll from there.

• Like 5

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

4 hours ago, zildac said:

Gotta link to 5.2?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

5 minutes ago, zildac said:

Thanks. Notice they stuck VRToolKit in with this one. (assuming it's the same)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

10 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Thanks. Notice they stuck VRToolKit in with this one. (assuming it's the same)

I did notice that, actually. I'm pretty sure it is not the same as VRperftoolkit although looking at VRToolkit.fx it may be worth playing with. It may be an alternative to the VRCAS shader that appears to be much older than the rest of the shaders date wise. And more importantly also appears to offer FXAA and some "smoothing". May well be worth fiddling with in fairness. It mentions "reduced shimmering" if it works then that feature alone would make it useful!!

Capture.PNG

Edited by zildac

6 minutes ago, zildac said:

I did notice that, actually. I'm pretty sure it is not the same as VRperftoolkit although looking at VRToolkit.fx it may be worth playing with. It may be an alternative to the VRCAS shader that appears to be much older than the rest of the shaders date wise. And more importantly also appears to offer FXAA and some "smoothing". May well be worth fiddling with in fairness. It mentions "reduced shimmering" if it works then that feature alone would make it useful!!

Capture.PNG

Yep... I have to wait & mess with it later after work.   😞

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:
i think thats just sharpening .. not scaling 

I agree. I was more interested in the FXAA etc. Am trying to fiddle but the whole "have to use the steamvr overlay" to access the menu is complete pain in the proverbial.

So as an update had a quick play using this shader in place of VR_CAS and I was expecting to see more of a difference than I did, in all honesty I saw no noticeable improvement visually over using Reshade with VR_CAS (I am still using VRperfkit with NIS scaling - no sharpening). However, one thing it did reveal is that for me at least, the 5.0.2 version of the Reshade DLL does not appear to register the Reshade UI in the Steam Overlay, so there is no way to adjust the config in game. Using the 5.0 version of the DLL allowed me to access the Steam overlay again. No idea if it's a bug, but it's odd for sure. To save anyone who wants to try the faff of attempting to do the config via the overlay here is my ini file that uses solely VRToolkit.

VRTEST.ini

And here is a link to the site which also includes default mask size settings for various HMD's (yes mine is too small for my G2 in the attached ini, but I was solely looking for a "shimmer killer")

https://vrtoolkit.retrolux.de/configuration.html

Edited by zildac

Honestly FXAA doesn't do a ton against aliasing for me. Yes, streets and coastlines look noticeably better, but power lines and rooftops still look awful. Also I tested FXAA in conjunction with SMAA, that was really an improvement, but came at a cost of 5 fps. I guess regarding anti-aliasing, you get what you pay for. MSAA 2x, yeah well good cockpit but landscape still... meh. MSAA 4x, cool overall but half the fps... so thank you no thank you.

What really boosted immersion for me was color curves, vibrance and RGB correction. These combined with Better Trees Mod and Barthek's Caucasus Mod which also came at a cost of ~ 5 fps, but I'll take those optimisations all day over a half decent AA that I don't care about anyway when push comes to shove (like SAMs engaging you or landing with a heavy crosswind and so on).

Edited by Pocket Kings
typo

So, I dropped the reshade dxgi.dll from 5.0.2 into the bin folder to update my existing install, but it's not working.

Are there any other steps?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So, I dropped the reshade dxgi.dll from 5.0.2 into the bin folder to update my existing install, but it's not working.
When you say "not working" can you get the menu up in VR. I couldn't with 5.0.2. Or do you mean there is no effect applied at all?

Sent from my LE2120 using Tapatalk

Not even tried in VR. When I run on monitor, there is not the usual text top left when DCS is loading, and there are no effects.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

17 minutes ago, imacken said:

+1 here (and tried in VR). No effects at all or menu via Home key as i used to do with FHolgar VR CAS color.fx.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I would uninstall existing reshade, and then use the installer provided, which seems to work fine for me ...

• Like 1