NEW: Universal VR shader

Sr.

right i will let you play with it .. i'm going to bed .. i'm shattered!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Keeping an interested eye on it, but I just don't do mods.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just now, freehand said:

dbune you remember the old cv1 HDMI trick ? , well it's like the same but much much more.

Hmm no sorry I don't believe I do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

Hmm no sorry I don't believe I do.

You swapped the HDMI cable altered the colour setting in the NVidia driver and plugged back in and the result would  give you more vibrancy in the headset which in turn gives more clarity.

Edited by freehand

3 minutes ago, freehand said:

You swapped the HDMI cable altered the colour setting in the NVidia driver and plugged back in and the result would  give you more vibrancy in the headset which in turn gives more clarity.

Oh yes I do recall that - I never tried it though.

Don B

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Oh yes I do recall that - I never tried it though.

This does not mod anything just copy the files into the bin folder and if you do not like remove. 

No files are over written.

Edited by freehand

I've noticed too, that the in game screen shots are much higher res than normal.

Post processed?

ss.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 minutes ago, freehand said:

This does not mod anything just copy the files into the bin folder and if you do not like remove. 

No files are over written.

I will look into it , will give it another day or so and see how y'all are making out with it.

Seems to me though if it puts files in the game directory that are not put there by ED it would still be considered a mod.

Don B

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will look into it , will give it another day or so and see how y'all are making out with it.

Seems to me though if it puts files in the game directory that are not put there by ED it would still be considered a mod.

ok ofcource I understand and a very good point.

Edited by freehand

It seems that it doesn't work with my oculus CV1 - everything seems like in Sr. pictures, except difference only applies to oculus mirror, on desktop screen, but not in HMD (I can toggle on and off with "end" keyboard and see a clear difference on screen, but no difference at all in VR mask).

OK I got to try it for a bit with my Valve Index, and it is indeed a game changer for DCS VR.  The image fidelity has never looked so good, even at default settings.  Far away buildings and trees remain sharp, not only that the color is much more vibrant and contrasty.  And with the Index's unique lens, it's near edge to edge clarity with wide sweet spot of things that are in focus.  This is the same type of benefits that can be seen in Reshade with flatscreen.  I haven't seen significant performance degradation so far.  I run Ultra visibility, medium shadows, MSSAx2, SS 220% with my setup, and it looks really really good.  Need to play around with the settings to squeeze out more framerates while maintaining this type of image quality.

Note, extract the zip contents into DCS World***\bin\

Use HOME key to bring up Reshade setting window, you can only modify the settings on flatscreen not in VR.  Press HOME again to close the setting window.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 3

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, Jethro11 said:

Would this pass the integrity check for multiplayer?

I'm not sure. But I run a couple others that wouldn't. Hence I play on my server or C0pes, as they have recently turned off IC.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Jethro11 said:

Would this pass the integrity check for multiplayer?

I can’t see why it wouldn’t, it doesn’t overwrite anything that’s already there...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

So just tried this and I can definetely see the colour difference, but it doesn't seem to do a lot more. I didn't notice any less shimmering, but am already using SOH's modded version of Kegetys shaders mod which seems to reduce that anyway. It really just seems like reshade for VR, which is great but tbh the colours in the G2 were already pretty good, to my old eyes at least.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Would this work with the Rift S? (Or any headset that doesn't use Steam VR?)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Would this work with the Rift S? (Or any headset that doesn't use Steam VR?)

honestly i don't know; try it and see it takes about 5 mins to apply

So, had more of a play with this. Using an AAR mission I know I get 90FPS on most of the time. With reshade enabled far more time spent at 45FPS, as soon as I disable it using "END" I'm back to 90FPS, so there is defientely some performance impact (as there always was with Reshade and SweetFX). It is a dawn mission so not sure if that has more of an impact lighting wise. Either way, it's easy enough to toggle the effect on or off, and as SOH said very simple to fully enable/disable using OVGME or similar. Worth a try, and peeps can make up their own mind.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Can someone simply explain what I should be doing with this?

I copied the files over, but can't see what is actually going on!

Do I run DCS non-VR version?  If so, then apart from hitting the Home button and seeing a trillion options, I see DCS running normally on my monitor and nothing on my G2.

If supposed to run the DCS VR version, then I see nothing when I hit Home and DCS just seems to run as per normal, except that if I hit Home button, then the cursor freezes.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 minutes ago, imacken said:

Can someone simply explain what I should be doing with this?

I copied the files over, but can't see what is actually going on!

Do I run DCS non-VR version?  If so, then apart from hitting the Home button and seeing a trillion options, I see DCS running normally on my monitor and nothing on my G2.

If supposed to run the DCS VR version, then I see nothing when I hit Home and DCS just seems to run as per normal, except that if I hit Home button, then the cursor freezes.

If all installed properly  then pressing "END" should toggle the effect on/off. This is most noticeable from the change in colour saturation. It does temporarily work on the main menu, but you need to be in game (VR) to noitice it. It supresses the effect on the monitor to have less of an impact on perf. Don't worry about the options seen when pressing "INSERT" you don't need to change these to test if it's working. I suspect we will see people creating custom profiles for DCS and this plugin soon, which is a good thing.

Thanks. So, should I be running my DCS VR version or monitor version to see the effects in VR?  I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm confused by what I have read so far!

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just now, imacken said:

Thanks. So, should I be running my DCS VR version or monitor version to see the effects in VR?  I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm confused by what I have read so far!

No worries. Just run DCS in VR as you usually would, and you can toggle the effect using the "END" key.

Just tried this with a pimax 8kx (small fov) at 2400x2448. What I noticed first was that the preset provided improved the colors. They pop more and the cooler colors removed what I now would describe like a yellow-ish fog. Very nice.

I didn't notice that much difference in the cockpit and couldn't decide if it was the colors or the sharpening that was most impactfull. 

For me the biggest impact was noticed on the terrain and buildings. The texture on far away mountains was sharper and buildings, trees etc. looked sharper and more defined. Could describe it as removing smudges from my lenses. For me, a noticable and meaningfull improvement. Awesome! 

I just copied the files in the fholger github zip file into the bin directory on my dcs beta install. I did not install or have any other files related to reshade. 

Edit: If you want to change settings you press the HOME key to get the mod-menu up (reshade?). This menu does not show up in your vr-googles, but on the mirror on your monitor where you can change settings. END to turn effects on and off. I know its been said, but thought I'd just repeat it.

Edited by Vitallini

Yep, I'm seeing the same.

I don't see any differences in shimmering, just the effects you describe in your first 3 paras.

I'm seeing a slight performance hit of about 0.5ms frame time.