NEW: Universal VR shader

Sr.

Which sharpening? I don't see any extra sharpening... all just turns more yellowish (which looks awful imo), that is what i see.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There's a sharpening value in the ini you can adjust. If you see no change in the HMD when using the mod I guess it doesn't work with the Rift S. Looks great here tbh, noticeably better than standard (once the saturation is lowered a little).

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

9 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

For me it doesn't. It saturated the colour (more yellowish) when in 2D, within the RiftS... nothing.

And for what it's worth, if i turn down the saturation in 2D it gets to a level like standard DCS. So... why bother?

Have you tried running it in Steam VR mode?

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

Nope, i don't have Steam and i don't want it installed.

17 minutes ago, zildac said:

There's a sharpening value in the ini you can adjust. If you see no change in the HMD when using the mod I guess it doesn't work with the Rift S. Looks great here tbh, noticeably better than standard (once the saturation is lowered a little).

I guess it doesn't work with Oculus anyway, i only see a difference in saturation in 2D so there it woks. In the Rift S... nothing changes

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

AFAIK, it only works with SteamVR devices.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Update

I sent the dev (fholger) a big thank you. He replied back with more good news.

I'm stuck at work, but will certainly try this later.

FYI, I released an updated preset as a Skyrim mod on Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/46999), but it works fine for other 64bit OpenVR games as the previous releases. Might have to rename the dxgi.dll to opengl32.dll for OGL games, but otherwise you can just use it as-is for most VR games.

In this release, the sharpening filter is modified so that it only sharpens in the center of the image, but not at the edges where you can't observe the difference, anyway, due to the lenses. That saves a little bit of performance. Whether or not that matters for you, I don't know, but I thought I'd mention it 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

A bit like what the DCS VR setting MSAA Mask Size is supposed to do then.

13 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

A bit like what the DCS VR setting MSAA Mask Size is supposed to do then.

Off topic, but yeah... I'm still curious if it does anything?

Edited by Sr.
I kant speel

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

12 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Update

I sent the dev (fholger) a big thank you. He replied back with more good news.

I'm stuck at work, but will certainly try this later.

Excellent 👍 Not going to have a chance to try today, but would be interested if you notice any difference. Given the minimal performance decrease I've seen and other people are reporting I'm guessing it won't make a huge difference.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Been interested to test this on my system... Not sure what happened with earlier installs of reshade but although when DCS loads up I can see on the mirror image that pressing Home should bring the GUI it does not and pressing end does nothing either....   😞  frustration with windows again

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

9 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Been interested to test this on my system... Not sure what happened with earlier installs of reshade but although when DCS loads up I can see on the mirror image that pressing Home should bring the GUI it does not and pressing end does nothing either....   😞  frustration with windows again

I had to unbind those keys in DCS, but you should at least see the overlay loaded upon starting DCS (monitor view).

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Strange, pressing End switches it on and off for me. Works so well, as you can see the effects on the fly.

For VR, you have to make the adjustments in the desktop mirror.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

17 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I had to unbind those keys in DCS first.

Arghh.... tried that (pretty labourious process!)  but no...still damn nothing, nada, niet, nicht, rien 🤬 

gonna post something in case someone came across the same issue

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

So I found 10 minutes to try the new build. Unfortunately it crashes DCS on startup for me. It looks like dxgi.dll in the new archive has been modified (it is slighty larger). If I swap in the dxgi.dll from the original (working) mod DCS starts but the sharpening is not right. The ini file also contains two additional lines:

SharpeningRadius=0.500000
SingleImage=1

First release (working)

image.png

Latest release (DCS crash on launch)

image.png

I suspect the newer dxgi.dll is to support these features as mentioned by the author.  Not sure why it borks DCS, but for me at least it does. Would be great if he released one for DCS specifically I suspect there is a bunch of other tweaks that could be made to further enhance the visual experience in VR. Perhaps we could have a whip round for him 🙂

11 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Arghh.... tried that (pretty labourious process!)  but no...still damn nothing, nada, niet, nicht, rien 🤬 

gonna post something in case someone came across the same issue

And the archive contents are definetely extracted into the bin directory something like this (ignore the fact that this is my OvGME mods directory the structure should be the same DCSdir/bin) :

image.png

Edited by zildac

9 minutes ago, zildac said:

So I found 10 minutes to try the new build. Unfortunately it crashes DCS on startup for me. It looks like dxgi.dll in the new archive has been modified (it is slighty larger). If I swap in the dxgi.dll from the original (working) mod DCS starts but the sharpening is not right. The ini file also contains a two additional lines:

SharpeningRadius=0.500000
SingleImage=1

First release (working)

image.png

Latest release (DCS crash on launch)

image.png

I suspect the newer dxgi.dll is to support these features as mentioned by the author.  Not sure why it borks DCS, but for me at least it does. Would be great if he released one for DCS specifically I suspect there is a bunch of other tweaks that could be made to further enhance the visual experience in VR. Perhaps we could have a whip round for him 🙂

And the archive contents are definetely extracted into the bin directory something like this (ignore the fact that this is my OvGME mods directory the structure should be the same DCSdir/bin) :

image.png

yep all in the right place (and using the older - non crashing dll). 

1 minute ago, Brainfreeze said:

That is bizzare. Sorry, can't think what else it could be. If the requisite hot keys are not mapped in DCS and the files are where they're supposed to be it should *just work* 😕

6 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Is your DCS folder (bin in particular) excluded from Microsoft Defender AV scan?

just a shot

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

1 minute ago, Sr. said:

Is your DCS folder (bin in particular) excluded from Windows Security scan?

just a shot

Good call actually, certainly in the past some of the UI's for these DX "hooking" type apps could be mistaken for keyloggers and such. Worth a try for sure.

Think I made it work. Used the previous non-crashing dxgi.dll (after reading Brainfreeze's reply) and now the new settings for radius and SingleImage turn up in the menu. The sharpening wasn't right at first, but switching SingleImage off made it work. The new radius setting works too - confirmed by setting it to a very low value. So far the performance improvement is minimal (with the default radius of 0.5). The previous version had a frametime impact of about 0.8ms - this one about 0.6-0.7 in the same scenario, so could be measurement error.

Edited by Col. Kernel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Is your DCS folder (bin in particular) excluded from Microsoft Defender AV scan?

just a shot

Yep it is.  well DCX.exe is listed there.  Seems to be app specific rather than folder

Edited by Brainfreeze

Think I made it work. Used the previous non-crashing dxgi.dll (after reading Brainfreeze's reply) and now the new settings for radius and SingleImage turn up in the menu. The sharpening wasn't right at first, but switching SingleImage off made it work. The new radius setting works too - confirmed by setting it to a very low value. So far the performance improvement is minimal (with the default radius of 0.5). The previous version had a frametime impact of about 0.8ms - this one about 0.6-0.7 in the same scenario, so could be measurement error.
Good find on the "singleimage" issue. I'll try that. I only swapped out the dll to start and could see something was still off.

Ok ... lucky google search got me on a trail...

Seems citrix is interfering with reshade keybinds... So I only have Printscreen as available key... but menu will appear but be frozen so cannot modify anything in it 🙂

anyway...good news is binding End to printscreen allows to toggle on off the reshading...  Now can you post me you Reshadepreset.ini parameters so I can ammend mine and get the right effects plse? 🙏 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Seems citrix is interfering with reshade keybinds... So I only have Printscreen as available key... but menu will appear but be frozen so cannot modify anything in it 🙂

anyway...good news is binding End to printscreen allows to toggle on off the reshading...  Now can you post me you Reshadepreset.ini parameters so I can ammend mine and get the right effects plse? 🙏 

These are 2 I'm currently using:  I tend to like #1 best

PreprocessorDefinitions=
Techniques=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx
TechniqueSorting=VRSharpenColor@VR_CAS_Color.fx

[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=0.985000
CASContrast=0.600000
Contrast=1.001000
MaxDelta=0.100000
Saturation=1.100000
Sharpening=1.700000

======================

PreprocessorDefinitions=

[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=1.000000
CASContrast=0.500000
Contrast=1.000000
MaxDelta=1.000000
Saturation=1.000000
Sharpening=1.000000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

--Arthur C Clark

Seems citrix is interfering with reshade keybinds... So I only have Printscreen as available key... but menu will appear but be frozen so cannot modify anything in it

anyway...good news is binding End to printscreen allows to toggle on off the reshading...  Now can you post me you Reshadepreset.ini parameters so I can ammend mine and get the right effects plse?  
Out of curiosity, and off topic. What are you using Citrix for?
These are 2 I'm currently using:  I tend to like #1 best

PreprocessorDefinitions=
[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=0.985000
CASContrast=0.600000
Contrast=1.001000
MaxDelta=0.100000
Saturation=1.100000
Sharpening=1.700000

======================

PreprocessorDefinitions=
[VR_CAS_Color.fx]
Brightness=1.000000
CASContrast=0.500000
Contrast=1.000000
MaxDelta=1.000000
Saturation=1.000000
Sharpening=1.000000

I'm using the first listed here but with sharpening at 1.9. Still tweaking colours though tbh so the other values are likely to change