AI won't RTB to Kuznetsov - bug or user error?

themonster

I'm working on a mission where opposing (super)carrier air wings go at each other.    The Blue team works fine.  AI aircraft launch, fly their CAP missions, fight as necessary, then RTB to their ships.  The Red team Su-33's, however, after fighting will only fly vaguely back towards their carriers then just head out to sea till they run out of gas and die.  This is frustrating because I'm intending to use the warehousing system to track how many aircraft are available as reinforcements, so I need them to land and de-spawn.

On a simplified mission they behave as expected, but with everything going onthey seem to prefer to fly off into the sunset and die, making this tough to diagnose.  Any suggestions?

Things I've tried:

1.  Added a landing waypoint at their ship rather than letting them decide where to RTB.  No dice.

2.  Thinking maybe they're so low on fuel they can't fly a landing pattern I tried launching them with full tanks (which severely limits the rate the kuznetsov can launch aicraft since that violates the weight limits for the forward ski jump spots).  No dice.

3.  Thinking maybe they're so low on fuel they can't fly a landing pattern, I provided a recovery tanker.  No dice.

4.  The red fleet is a little closer to the action than blue.  Thinking maybe the Su-33's can't get fully disengaged I backed the fleet up quite a bit.  No dice.

Are the Flankers flying toward an airbase to land, or just a seemingly random direction? If they might be heading for an airbase, then try setting the airbase to be part of the Blue Coalition so that they don't try to land there.

Posting your mission and what DCS version it is might be helpful.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I was able to reproduce the problem on the attached very simple mission.  The problem seems to happen only if the aircraft decides on its own to RTB due to bingo fuel.  In the attached example I have two groups:

Group 1:  "Plenty of gas" - this group flies out to waypoint 1 and orbits for 15 minutes then RTB's.  They are able to land normally, as expected.

Group 2:  "Low gas" - this group flies out to waypoint 1 and orbits indefinitely, RTBing of their own accord.  This group flies towards the carrier pattern entry point, but then continues out to sea and dies.

In spite of my OP subject heading, I also confirmed this happens with Nimitz and Tomcats as well and I'd guess all other CV based aircraft.  It does NOT happen for shore-based aircraft. 

I welcome any clever workarounds.  It seems I need to get my CV based aircraft RTBing before they hit bingo fuel but I can't predict how much fuel they'll use up dogfighting.

RTB_problem.miz

I would suggest putting an end condition on your flights' attack tasks. I always do this, usually an end condition by time. This is realistic as the flights would probably be briefed to only engage for a certain amount of time.

You could also try to force RTB based on ammo.

If you're inclined to try scripting you can read AI's fuel levels. With that, you would be able to tell them to RTB at any fuel state you want. I know how to get fuel amounts but I haven't used it to influence AI behavior.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Ah.... till now I hadn't realized you could but a stop condition on an enroute task like CAP.  It looks like this is going to mostly solve my problem.  Thanks.

Though I'd certainly say the automatic RTB for carrier based aircraft needs some work on ED's side.