Is the flight dynamics ever gonna get fixed?

chief

1 minute ago, Scarecrow84 said:

There is no "winning" an argument with those who still defend it.  The appeals to "authority" while ignoring logic and evidence are tedious to say the least.

I agree. IMHO it comes down to whether one has fun with the module or not. After getting an FFB stick, it's impossible for me anymore, as the FFB implementation doesn't work I might try again with an ordinary joystick, as I now have a 40cm extension. Might be fun. 

Anyway, for what it's worth, all the long and heated discussions about the FM has taught me a lot about how helicopters work. So thanks to all you knowledgeable people! 😄 

Cheers! 

You Know you need to press the AP button on the stick before you take off right ?...
Then it flies half decent otherwise is SAS over doing it's thing

It does need some work but it's not that bad with 60 saturation on both axis

• Like 1

Nothing on the user side, procedures or tinkering with axis settings, will change the absence of a helicopter flight model.

• Like 5

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

360 video, you can look around and down at the cyclic all the time. Look how loose it is and how far it needs to be moved all the time and trimmed later (when he takes his hands off). See that there is no constant rolling in the direction the cyclic is offset from center and it has to be pushed and trimmed forward to get and hold speed. The Gazelle in DCS can't be further away from the real thing and it's 6 years already.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 10

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 1 month later...

One new customer, I like the way to operate it and use it in a mission.
You are welcome to use my money to fix the FM, finally.

Besides the obvious joke, people still buy it and enjoy, c'mon guys.
Easy to say, but pls get someone and put some work into it, the thing deserves it.

• Thanks 2

Alias in Discord: Mailman

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Bananabrai:

One new customer, I like the way to operate it and use it in a mission.
You are welcome to use my money to fix the FM, finally.

Besides the obvious joke, people still buy it and enjoy, c'mon guys.
Easy to say, but pls get someone and put some work into it, the thing deserves it.

It is getting some love. New extenal sound, new Pilots, NVG for the Lima.

The next thing is better variability of armament of the Lima. The Mistral variant is to disappear and the L can then also carry Mistral as a mix with other weapons. That would be a great thing. But yes, I'm waiting for the FM adjustments as well. Soon. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

• 3 weeks later...
Am 17.8.2022 um 22:14 schrieb Avimimus:

Well, it has a flight model. Albeit one with a few issues and which is becoming increasingly obsolete compared to other modules.

However, compared to pre-2010 helicopter flight simulators it is clearly superior to a lot of them.

Nice joke 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, RealDCSpilot said:

360 video, you can look around and down at the cyclic all the time. Look how loose it is and how far it needs to be moved all the time and trimmed later (when he takes his hands off). See that there is no constant rolling in the direction the cyclic is offset from center and it has to be pushed and trimmed forward to get and hold speed. The Gazelle in DCS can't be further away from the real thing and it's 6 years already.

On the whole I agree, but I was actually surprised at about 3:35 during the first major turn how tiny the cyclic input was for such a large amount of roll, and how the pilot then puts the stick back to center and even left a bit to arrest the roll to the right. But that is of course just one turn on a long flight.

21 hours ago, jubuttib said:

but I was actually surprised at about 3:35 during the first major turn how tiny the cyclic input was for such a large amount of roll

In a helicopter, all inputs count, all the time. Look closely, he also gives the right torque pedal a good kick for this quick change of attitude. And the cyclic input was quite large if you look closely. It's also good to see the typical latency of the air frame reaction to controls input. In a helicopter you are basically always steering ahead of what will happen shortly after your controls input.
It's actually a good example to show how the DCS module fails. In DCS the Gazelle acts like a quad copter, where the rotors on the sides can produce constant negative thrust to induce a roll. In real life the main rotor just reduces lift in the directional quadrant of the rotor disc and increases lift on the opposite side (but only to a physical possible extent!). In DCS i can put the Gazelle completely upside down and push the collective down to produce negative thrust and positive lift! This is absolutely ridiculous for a helicopter flight model. Only RC quadcopters and aerobatic RC helicopters with high negative blade pitch angles can have such a weight thrust ratio.
If you want to see what we should have gotten years ago and what the minimum is we should expect from the Kiowa, check the "beautiful simulator's" latest addition of helicopters. The Bell 407 with all helpers and assists deactivated demonstrates a pretty good helicopter flight model of this class, with all the basics done right.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd love to fly the Kiowa, but after enjoying all of the helicopters in DCS except the Gazelle I think I'll wait until I can see that they can create a realistic FM for the gazelle before getting excited over a module I probably won't fly. And by no means am I frugal with my module purchases as I own them all except 4 at the moment. Being a pilot in RL and flying many rc helicopters I just can't come to terms with how the gazelle handles. If I hear great things about the Kiowa I may reconsider (obviously) as it looks awesome, but so did the Gazelle and I just can't bring myself to fly and enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS