Cold war restricted F/A-18C

S. Low

4 minutes ago, whiteladder said:

I may be wrong But I thought if you enter a specific date in the mission editor (1990 for example) it would automatically restrict systems and weapons to that time period.

no

30 minutes ago, amalahama said:

Is it possible to disable Link 16 in the mission editor?

no

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

5 hours ago, amalahama said:

Is it possible to disable Link 16 in the mission editor?

Also, unfortunately the way the MIDS system works (or at least, is currently modelled, which is apparently correct), even using the UFC D/L button to turn off datalink doesn’t really work, as it’s tied to the TACN as well. Basically both need to be off to disable DL. 

10 hours ago, whiteladder said:

I may be wrong But I thought if you enter a specific date in the mission editor (1990 for example) it would automatically restrict systems and weapons to that time period.

If you have the historical filter enabled, yes, it will filter vehicles and weapons availability to the time period. Some systems, like GPS, are also disabled if the mission date is too early. Such a system is not, AFAIK, implemented for datalink though. 

8 hours ago, norman99 said:

Also, unfortunately the way the MIDS system works (or at least, is currently modelled, which is apparently correct), even using the UFC D/L button to turn off datalink doesn’t really work, as it’s tied to the TACN as well. Basically both need to be off to disable DL. 

This implementation, I believe, is correct for the Charlie Hornet that we have. When the MIDS was integrated into the Hornet, some of the space used was that of the original TACAN unit. 
There’s a great piece publicly available  from the University of Tennessee about the MIDS implementation, if anyone is interested. 

Basically, you are going to have to suspend a bit of disbelief. You can get close to a late 80’s load out BUT still, many of the systems created in the 80’s that we have in DCS are versions upgraded in the 1990’s. For example, the harpoon you use in DCS is not going to be modeled after a harpoon used in 1987. It will be upgraded. The F/A-18C itself has received a number of upgrades since its arrival that can’t be “rolled back”

so just do the best you can...turn on DL, use iron/cluster bombs and Aim-7s and go nuts

• 1 month later...

'80s F/A-18 would be even more fun than 2005 since it would require lot more skill to be successfull. Without computer controlled long range automatic guided weapon you would be going a lot closer to the enemy both in the air and on the ground for the kill.

Antother thing is Hornet's maneuverability would be a lot more important and actually usefull in '80s scenario without AMRAAM, JHMCS and JSOW.

• Like 2