Flying helicopter in real

cromhunt

18 minutes ago, WillyPete said:

That never was the case before, and completely alien to how I know how to fly and how I've flown this module before.  

It has been for long long time so. Maybe from the start because I don't remember did it require any off-center position for cyclic. What I do remember is that it needed little pedal to stay straight.

That is flying with just one control at the time, there is 12 m/s wind. First just the collective for various altitudes, speeds etc.

Then using a pedals in full for left/right and to make full rotations, turning to both directions etc, all the time the collective is in one position at that moment.

Cyclic is not touched at all. 

SAS is disabled and all channels are off. 

18 minutes ago, WillyPete said:

So after this update I've shifted from "It's quirky but does the job" to "Does not reflect the physical world." in my attitude to the module.     

I'm going to have to triple and double check all module settings, because this truly is wonky to me now.  

I was prepared to give the devs leeway on it based on previous performance, but I think that the patch has cause a landmark deviance in how their interface works with it.  

If it is the case that the latest patch causes issues with their input coding then I'm not surprised they've gone radio silent and are spending a long time reworking their Kiowa.  

We definitely can't have ED code fucking up two modules every time there's a patch.

It is not ED... 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

3 hours ago, WillyPete said:

The obvious difference to me is that I killed myself on lift-off multiple times, using the same technique as always. Really frustrating. 
Then I discovered it rises to hover without moving the cyclic.  

That never was the case before, and completely alien to how I know how to fly and how I've flown this module before.  
The standard pulling a bit of rear and right cyclic does not seem to be needed any more for take off. Perfectly level without any input.  
The cyclic diamond is on the middle of the cross in the controls indicator.  Trying to "fly" it off the FARP in a manner that you normally would resulted in a dynamic rollover. 

I don't remember a single point in time since 2016 where this was different. I can assure you that this is the module's standard behaviour since release. Frustrating, yes. Welcome to the club.

And no, it never is or was ED's fault.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

41 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

I don't remember a single point in time since 2016 where this was different. I can assure you that this is the module's standard behaviour since release.

Same here. I've never seen anything else with the Gazelle.

Well, it needs the least little touch of right cyclic on take-off as it will start drifting left once in the air, but two little clicks on the trim will do. It's barely noticeable.

Edited by Pilot Ike

44 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

I don't remember a single point in time since 2016 where this was different.

I don't know why, or can't give you an explanation how, but this was a completely different aircraft for me.  

Perhaps this is why people quite often appear to be speaking of two different aircraft?

15 minutes ago, Pilot Ike said:

Well, it needs the least little touch of right cyclic on take-off as it will start drifting left once in the air, but two little clicks on the trim will do. It's barely noticeable.

Today, it didn't even need that. I can't explain why.  

When I discovered it, I restarted the mission and simple added a tiny bit of right pedal and lifted the collective to hover.  

Slight left drift due to the tail.

18 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

Yeah, that's it.

Yeah, it only kicks in as collective increases.  
The behaviour overall (again, I can only verify this as sample size = 1) is absolutely different to what I have previously experienced.   

The flight model doesn't puzzle me as much as how it has changed from one patch to the next, as though something fundamental underlying the communication from hardware (which hardware has not changed) has been altered. 

On 6/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, scoobie said:

So, the point is: if you like 30%, NO PROBLEM. But if you tell those who "outright demand" 60% to shut up, it is a problem.

I understand and agree with your points, but isn't that quote exactly what a lot of those against the FM do to those who say they enjoy it?  
Every post where someone comments on how they enjoy it, regardless of faults, always has the same few people turn up to question their sanity and berate.  

This isn't a uni-directional issue.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...