Questions about some HOTAS modes (HMCS B/S, MSG and TAD) and functions

Hi there,

I'm currently working/experimenting on my own quick reference checklist for the A-10. While studying the updated HOTAS functions of the A-10C II in the manual (page 90), I noticed the differentiation between HMCS and HMCS B/S mode. But I couldn't find anything in the manual or Chuck's Guide describing what that B/S mode actually is or how to activate or even use it.

I gathered that B/S stands for boresight, I found a 'boresight' page in the Cockpit by clicking 'next' on the HMCS page, but could not make sense of what is displayed there either.

Could someone please explain what the HMCS B/S mode is for, how it is different from the regular HMCS mode and what all of the described actions for DMS and TMS are supposed to do in that mode? I pressed them and could not notice any effect. What text can be rotated and what for?

The TMS commands especially are a complete mystery here. What does for instance "Comp. BS/sett Occl Pt." actually stand for in plain english?

I may come up with some meaning for "comp BS" from an entirely different context, but I fear that might be just that... complete B.S. 😄

Could it be that that is some Real-life functionality not (yet) modeled in DCS? For alignment maybe?

Additionally, I could not make the MSG page SOI, as I am also unclear what 'Change Shape' or 'Drop Shape' are supposed to do. Same here? Real-life functionality not (yet) modeled? These two commands seem to be the only ones different from functionality in other modes.

Lastly, when TAD is SOI, I was unable to reproduce the function of 'map quick toggle' (DMS fwd long). What is supposed to happen there? I tried various zoom levels and MAP modes, but could not see any reaction to my button press inputs. I certainly couldn't make the map show temporarily, what I assumed it would.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 hours ago, Tinman said:

What does for instance "Comp. BS/sett Occl Pt." actually stand for in plain english?

Occlusion point (where the HMCS will "blank" or disappear when encroaching with the HUD).  Comp BS is not modeled in DCS (that I can tell, at least not yet).

Additionally, I could not make the MSG page SOI, as I am also unclear what 'Change Shape' or 'Drop Shape' are supposed to do. Same here? Real-life functionality not (yet) modeled? These two commands seem to be the only ones different from functionality in other modes.

Message page is unable to SOI, that is normal.  To interact with the MSG page, you need to use the UFC or CDU keys (to type letters for message and receiver) - and use OSB(s) to interact with fields/functions of the MSG page.

Lastly, when TAD is SOI, I was unable to reproduce the function of 'map quick toggle' (DMS fwd long). What is supposed to happen there? I tried various zoom levels and MAP modes, but could not see any reaction to my button press inputs. I certainly couldn't make the map show temporarily, what I assumed it would.

Not currently modeled in DCS (at least not yet) - but I do believe there is a thread somewhere here on the forum that is has been "reported/acknowledged" as a lacking feature at this time.  Do not believe there was an estimation on when/if it will be implemented for DCS.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

So effectively, for now at least, the last two columns can be omitted completely then, as they are not (or not yet) modeled. That makes it more readable as well. Just wanted to check. Thanks or the info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 years later...
On 3/31/2021 at 5:56 PM, Tinman said:

Additionally, I could not make the MSG page SOI, as I am also unclear what 'Change Shape' or 'Drop Shape' are supposed to do. Same here? Real-life functionality not (yet) modeled? These two commands seem to be the only ones different from functionality in other modes

3 yrs later....
Could not find details on this "shape" thing in both manuals or in YouTube tutorials. I guess it's not simulated and never will be? Am curious what it does though.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64