Oculus 2 or Rift S?

DirtyB

I know reading through here,this has been asked many times, but I'm on a very limited budget and these are the only two HMDs in my price range, I realise support for the Rift has ended but looking for recommendations for entry level headsets

Help!!

Modules owned - A10C / A10C II / FCS / F14 / F 18 / Harrier / Mosquito / Ka 50 / Huey / Su 33 / Supercarrier / WW2 Assets
Maps - Caucasus / Persian Gulf / Syria / Marianas / Nevada / Normandy / The ChannelProcessor    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz / Installed RAM    16.0 GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TM T Flight Rudder / Delanclip TIR / Oculus Quest 2

Either will work. You would probably get better performance with the Rift S as it is a native PC-VR headset. Quest 2 will have a little better resolution but the cost of having to run through the USB via a Link cable , where the video gets compressed and decompressed on the fly.

Also be aware, either now requires you to have a Facebook account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Quest 2 hands down. Twice the resolution of the Rift S, but needs a pretty good PC to run it at it's native resolution. I play DCS on my Quest 2 wirelessly using virtual desktop and a dedicated 5GHz router and the visuals are stunning. The Quest has lots of exciting development goodies in the pipeline too like 120hz framerate and custom portals that will allow you too see and access keyboards/controls while in VR.

• Thanks 1

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

1 hour ago, Lensman said:

Quest 2 hands down. Twice the resolution of the Rift S, but needs a pretty good PC to run it at it's native resolution. I play DCS on my Quest 2 wirelessly using virtual desktop and a dedicated 5GHz router and the visuals are stunning. The Quest has lots of exciting development goodies in the pipeline too like 120hz framerate and custom portals that will allow you too see and access keyboards/controls while in VR.

I did not realize the Quest 2 resolution was that much higher than Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Only recently added if i'm correct.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Keep in mind a higher resolution requires a beefier machine, but you can adjust the render in DCS trough the pixel density slider under vr. My 7700k also struggles badly running the video encoder of the Q2 (the Q2 is not a pc native vr headset so it encodes display as a video, unlike the Rift), but using virtual desktop works fine although induces some wireless latency, your mileage may vary. All in all im very satisfied with the Q2, its cost value is just unbeatable at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind that Quest 2 has a mechanical IPD adjustment.The Rift S hasn't.

My IPD is around 73 mm and I can tell it's impossible for me to have both eyes properly focused on the rift.

Depending which direction I pushed the riftS, I always had a blurred view on one eye. Software IPD is rubbish and dishonest. There is no optical or physical ways this could ever work.

The Rift S was sold for a Quest 2, and the problem is gone with the wide IPD setting.

• Thanks 1

Also keep in mind Rift S is currently being discontinued, all software development will be focused on Quest line.

• Thanks 1

Don B

I've owned Rift S since it came out and just this weekend bought Quest 2 to see how it stands up to Rift S and if it's worth upgrading.

Picture quality and screen door effect - Quest 2 wins hands down. I'm on a somewhat older machine this day (16GB RAM and 1080ti) and performance between two is compatible when I set Quest 2 to 90Mhz. This is through third party 'Link' cable, I have not tried Virtual Desktop yet. I have ASW locked at 30Mhz and the only time I see fps drop is when I'm on a large airfield with a lot of ground units or flying over large cities at very low level - but I had the same problem with Rift S so it's a moot point...

As far as DCS goes, I simply fail to see any reason to go with Rift S over Quest 2. In my racing sims, I still need a bit of tweaking for a final decision - the most obvious problem for me is that all objects in the distance are somewhat fuzzy (for example road in front of me is sharp, but a tower over the same road in a bit of a distance is noticeably fuzzy/blurry) and I can't figure out how to fix that. It's a bit annoying given that picture otherwise is better that what I get with Rift S.

As it stands at this moment, I will probably go ahead and sell my Rift S in the next week or so. I've been really impressed so far with Quest 2 and personally think it's a much bigger jump for me then what I had when I went from CV1 to Rift S... G2 is probably better, but it's twice the price and my system probably won't be able to handle it as good as Quest 2...

P.S. Probably worth noting here, with Rift S the whole screen is evenly sharp, but with Quest 2 I found that center is sharp, but things get blurry towards the edges. Perhaps a smaller sweet spot. I really need to experiment more and probably get alternative face shields to see if I can fix it. It was really bothering me the first time I put the headset on, but I got used to this in about an hour/two and no longer notice it all that much.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mx22 said:

I've owned Rift S since it came out and just this weekend bought Quest 2 to see how it stands up to Rift S and if it's worth upgrading.

Picture quality and screen door effect - Quest 2 wins hands down. I'm on a somewhat older machine this day (16GB RAM and 1080ti) and performance between two is compatible when I set Quest 2 to 90Mhz. This is through third party 'Link' cable, I have not tried Virtual Desktop yet. I have ASW locked at 30Mhz and the only time I see fps drop is when I'm on a large airfield with a lot of ground units or flying over large cities at very low level - but I had the same problem with Rift S so it's a moot point...

As far as DCS goes, I simply fail to see any reason to go with Rift S over Quest 2. In my racing sims, I still need a bit of tweaking for a final decision - the most obvious problem for me is that all objects in the distance are somewhat fuzzy (for example road in front of me is sharp, but a tower over the same road in a bit of a distance is noticeably fuzzy/blurry) and I can't figure out how to fix that. It's a bit annoying given that picture otherwise is better that what I get with Rift S.

As it stands at this moment, I will probably go ahead and sell my Rift S in the next week or so. I've been really impressed so far with Quest 2 and personally think it's a much bigger jump for me then what I had when I went from CV1 to Rift S... G2 is probably better, but it's twice the price and my system probably won't be able to handle it as good as Quest 2...

P.S. Probably worth noting here, with Rift S the whole screen is evenly sharp, but with Quest 2 I found that center is sharp, but things get blurry towards the edges. Perhaps a smaller sweet spot. I really need to experiment more and probably get alternative face shields to see if I can fix it. It was really bothering me the first time I put the headset on, but I got used to this in about an hour/two and no longer notice it all that much.

Quest with Link does sort of a form of foveated rending on outer areas to help performance, this would be why it appears that way as compared to Rift S.

• Like 1

Don B