Firmware update failed, next step?

mx22

Just wondering if anyone came across similar issue. I've decided to check VPC software out and sure enough, I needed to flash joystick's firmware - firmware failed on the last step (after flashing the software and auto-rebooting joystcik) with an 'ERROR. Device PCB' message. Sadly, now joystick is no longer listed in Windows 'USB game controller' so I cant use it. VPC Configuration Tool however still sees it, however when trying to re-flash firmware I still get the same error with the same results. I've tried clicking on 'restore factory defaults' in the firmware updater, but it throws the error as well... 

firmware-device pcb error.jpg

Thanks a lot, I actually stumbled across this page yesterday. Unfortunately resetting my firmware by shortening the pins did not resolve my problem. It looks like joystick flashes and updates firmware just fine via either VPC software or by first removing existing firmware via shortening pins as described in the link - I can see name update based on the firmware version in VPC software.

3 hours ago, mx22 said:

Thanks a lot, I actually stumbled across this page yesterday. Unfortunately resetting my firmware by shortening the pins did not resolve my problem. It looks like joystick flashes and updates firmware just fine via either VPC software or by first removing existing firmware via shortening pins as described in the link - I can see name update based on the firmware version in VPC software.

#This firmware has been patched as of today. Not sure if you are using the earlier version. Worth a try.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

30 minutes ago, rapid said:

#This firmware has been patched as of today. Not sure if you are using the earlier version. Worth a try.

Thanks a lot for the heads up - sure was worth a try. Sadly, same result as before.

And i take it you only have one Virpil device connected while trying to flash?

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

18 minutes ago, rapid said:

And i take it you only have one Virpil device connected while trying to flash?

Yes, I only have Virpil's T50 base and grip. I've actually tried flashing on my other computer too where this would be the only joystick to be connected at all...

Just a quick heads up if anyone gets into the same problem... Virpil Support rescued the day for me - in Configurator tool settings (CTRL + F12) I had to enable 'Show Developer information (SetPCB)' option. This enabled manual selection of the base's PCB via a dropdown near the bottom edge of the app window. Once proper PCB was selected, everything started working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got it sorted and taking the time to post the answer.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:02 PM, mx22 said:

Just a quick heads up if anyone gets into the same problem... Virpil Support rescued the day for me - in Configurator tool settings (CTRL + F12) I had to enable 'Show Developer information (SetPCB)' option. This enabled manual selection of the base's PCB via a dropdown near the bottom edge of the app window. Once proper PCB was selected, everything started working.

So number 40 in the link supplied in the first reply to your thread sorted out the problem, good to know

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.