P-38 Lightning

phantom0gritz

17 hours ago, rkk01 said:

@Qiou87 I suggest you find a copy of the film “633 Squadron”

Thanks for the suggestion! First I saw "released 1964" when I googled it, so that explains why I haven't seen it. Then I saw some clips of the movie with actual Mosquitos in flight, which sounded like something I would enjoy watching. Now I just got to find it someplace, Netflix and Prime don't have it...

For us French, the P-38 Lightning is so iconic because that is the plane French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery died in (in 44 off the coast of Marseille). 

• Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, UlLIN44 said:

Please consider an Eastern New Guinea/ Solomon Islands map and the P-38 Lightning. There was never a dull moment in that theatre.

Aye, but a Solomons/Slot map would be a different deal/theater than New Guinea.

New Guinea is huge, the Slot is huge.

Hard to beat 'The Slot' though...daily brawls between Wildcats and Zekes, float planes...

• Like 4

Exactly. For example the Solomon Islands (including Bougainville) have a land area of just 38.000 km², that's less than an 200 x 200 km square, sparsely inhabited and mostly covered by jungle. This size is comparable to the current, much more populated, WW2 maps and much less than Syria.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, RenegadeSkip said:

+1 P-38J would be an instant buy for me. No questions asked.

Absolutely.  Could and would be used effectively in both theaters. Not that I think the PTO should be going through any meaningful development atm, but that’s a whole other soapbox speech that doesn’t belong here. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, The_Angry_Fox said:

I would love to see a P-38 in game. FlyingIron - who are now a 3rd party developer - have made an excellent P-38 (and a Hellcat) for one those other sims. I'm hoping they'll consider bringing WW2 modules to DCS once they're done with the A7.

I was going to say the same thing! I did a quick video last night in VR and MAN, do they have what it takes to bring this to DCS! The engine control is spot on and the sounds, well the video demonstrates it.  It can not be fully appreciated until you have the headsets on and are flying in VR.  I did another video of the Hellcat, but will post that on the a Hellcat thread.  I am hoping that after the A-7 (CAN NOT WAIT!) is out, they will dip there toes in the pacific warbirds modules.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah it would be awesome if FlyingIron brought their P-38 to DCS 👍

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5