Ergonomic issue with the ORION throttle - Opposite angle. Winwing, any feedback ?

FZG_Immel

6 hours ago, Brother_Leb said:

from the photos I've seen, I think this is still present on the Orion 2.

Would be a shame if true. Especially with all the trouble they went with the finger lift addition for the F/A-18 grip.

6 hours ago, Brother_Leb said:

I'm upgrading from a TM T16000 throttle, which has no angle at all so this issue doesn't bother me personally

No angle is worse than correct angle, but better than OPPOSITE angle. WW has opposite angle, the grip is angled away from the hand. 

Somehow I'm still in the queue for pre-order myself, but...

Edited by Katmandu

On 4/17/2022 at 2:44 PM, Katmandu said:

No angle is worse than correct angle, but better than OPPOSITE angle. WW has opposite angle, the grip is angled away from the hand. 

Somehow I'm still in the queue for pre-order myself, but...

Fair. I'll let you know when mine arrives and I'll try to provide pics for reference.

I was in the preorder queue as well, but just got order confirmation today and paid. No shipment info yet, but should be soon. They are getting through through those preorders so hopefully soon for you.

Edited by Brother_Leb
  • Thanks 1

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...got mine last week and I did read this thread before and was a bit worried.

But honestly, even though I know that the angle is wrong, it doesn`t really feel bad at all. If I had not known, I probably would not have noticed it.

Note that I have my throttle on a sidemount of my gaming chair and the position feels pretty much right on compared to the actual position when in VR.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

I said I was going to provide pictures once mine arrived and I forgot to do that. Sorry.

That said, I don't think pictures are necessary, as it's clear that WW is still using the same manufactured parts for both the F/A-18 throttle grips and throttle arms (you can see the old detent protrusions on the throttle arms from the way the Orion 1 did the AB detent). So, since the parts have not been updated (the fab for the Throttle base and the addition of the plastic finger lift kit are the upgrades, the rest of the build is identical from what I can tell), the ergonomic issue is unchanged.

After owning it for two months and flying with it a lot, I stand by what I said previously, it doesn't bother me at all. BUT, I recognize it bothers some folks here and it IS NOT strictly identical to the real hornet throttle grip angle. I respect those concerns even though I don't share them. For you guys concerned about the ergonomics, you'll want to stick with the Orion 1 and buy @01G8R's aftermarket throttle arms. Note however, they won't work with WW's new finger lift kit. Maybe 01G8R and his company will come up with a clever 3D printed alternative, but for now, that's the tradeoff you'll have to make.

Edited by Brother_Leb

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

• 1 year later...

Hello to everyone here. Recently I have purchased a VKB Gunfighter Mk.IV MCE Ultimate in order to replace my still perfectly functional Thrustmaster Warthog stick; my decision to replace a perfectly functional stick was simply because the Gunfighter looks awesome. I was also looking at various throttles that are available in Australia in order to assess potential future replacement of the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle; this is pretty much limited to WinWing and VKB as they have direct sales hubs here in Australia. I do like the Warthog throttle mainly due to the boxy design and the toggle switches that I think are generally more useful than say single push buttons or rotary encoders (although a couple would be good still). 

I was considering the WinWing Orion2 Throttles with the F18 grip. Reason one: Because the design is the same boxy format that I like about the warthog, along with enough toggle switches and appropriate buttons to get the job done. Reason two: The only post-cold war jet that I have is the hornet so I would want the hornet grips. Third reason: I am considering getting the WinWing Ka50 collective in the future as it looks great, looks solid and I believe is made of metal. I also have three helicopters in DCS.

This all said. The incorrect angle on the hornet throttle grip is a deal breaker for me. When I use my warthog and rotate it to emulate the incorrect angle of the WinWing design, it is noticeable more annoying compared to even a neutral grip angle. My question here: Has WinWing fixed this problem yet; or have they mentioned any planes to fix this problem? I get that there are tooling costs for producing what would be a new grip, but since this product has been out for a while they would have retooled production a fair amount of times already; each time having the option to use the new tooling with correct angles instead of the same incorrect tooling.

Intel Core i5 13600K (not OC'd) (cooled via Noctua NH-U12A) | Asus Strix 4070Ti (not custom OC'd) | Corsiar Vengeance 64GB (4×16GB) 5,600MTs CL36 DDR5 | MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard | Corsair RM850x PSU | Windows 11 <|||> ThrustMaster H.O.T.A.S Warthog | VKB T-Rudder MkIV | VKB Gunfighter MkIV Ultimate | DelanClip Headtracker | Razer Tartarus V2 <|||> Normandy 2.0👍 The Channel | Syria👍 | WWII Assets Pack👎 | Combined Arms👎 | Super Carrier👍 | Mi24P Hind👍 | Ka50 BlackShark3❤️ | AH-64D Apache👎 | FC3👍 | Spitfire LF MkIX👍| F5E Tiger II❤️ | F-14A/B Tomcat👎 | F/A-18C Hornet❤️

I'm about to order the Orion 2 F18 HOTAS. I hope i'm one of the ones who won't be bothered by the wrong angle of the grips.

I stopped reading this thread after 2 pages. Was anything discovered that could be called a fix?

Buzz

On 1/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, BuzzU said:

I'm about to order the Orion 2 F18 HOTAS. I hope i'm one of the ones who won't be bothered by the wrong angle of the grips.

I stopped reading this thread after 2 pages. Was anything discovered that could be called a fix?

Yes and no. There is a mod that solves the wrong angle part, but at the cost of increasing the gap between the handles.

2 hours ago, Katmandu said:

Yes and no. There is a mod that solves the wrong angle part, but at the cost of increasing the gap between the handles.

I have this for the Orion 1 and IMO it works very well.  BUT unless I'm mistaken, due to the design differences between Orion 1 and 2 it won't work on the 2.  Definitely the case if you want to use the new detents.

Not to excuse winwing if the angle is indeed opposite to what it's supposed to be, but I am simply using the throttle rotated by 15-20 degrees counterclockwise. This matches the rail angle of the throttle on many planes, and is comfortable for me. I do agree that the angle is a bit uncomfy if you have the throttle unit straigh.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my WW and the first thing I checked was the angle. I have the 16EX grips. I don't know if all grips are straight now but mine is dead straight with the base. WW fixed the problem or the 16EX grips never had the problem.

Buzz

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 11:50 PM, FZG_Immel said:

I dont know how you guys that do not notice it, dont, because its pretty obvious why in the real Hornet the throttles are angled that way. The angle of the Winwing throttles are the OTHER way around.

rotate your throttle 30 degrees to the left (or turn your body 30 degrees to the right,  and notice how much better they fit in your hand. 

Just want to point out that hands are different 🤷

My system:

Win 10, Amd Ryzen 3700@stock GTX1080 Ti, 34" Asus G-sync ultrawide monitor, Ipad Air, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, complete CH HOTAS setup, Oculus Rift CV1/Trackir5 and a Saitek Quadrant

Been simming since the Commodore 64. A few million polygons ago.