Can't play: C101EBSys.dll exists but is missing according to logs

andyn

I'm unable to fly the C-101 at all. When starting a single player mission I get thrown to the map instead of the cockpit; in multiplayer the slots are light blue like other available aircraft but cannot be selected. According to logs the C101EBSys.dll EFM file is missing but it exists on the hard drive. I've tried the usual repair and logout/login troubleshooting steps. Windows 10 Defender does not detect the file as malware nor does it quarantine it, and other programs such as 7-Zip are able to read the contents. Other aircraft work just fine.

See the attached file from a quickstart mission. The relevant lines are as follows:

2021-04-03 01:26:32.044 INFO    EDCORE: Loaded E:/DCS/Mods/aircraft/C-101/bin/ABase.dll
2021-04-03 01:26:57.794 ERROR   EDCORE: Failed to load E:/DCS/Mods/aircraft/C-101/bin/C101EBSys.dll: (53) The network path was not found.

dcs.log

Looks like an antivirus issue. On Windows Defender, establish an exclusion for the /program files/eagle dynamics/ path.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I've already tried the following with Windows Defender:

• Excluding E:\DCS\ (the installation directory) and the Saved Games profile directory
  • Excluding the whole dcs.exe process
  • Disabling real-time protection altogether.

What bugs me is the error message "The network path was not found" which suggests that my E: drive was on a network share. It's an NTFS partition on a local NVMe drive and without any junction points or other trickery whatsoever. Permissions for the DCS installation directory have not been touched either.

Alright. Found the culprit. It's not C101EBSys.dll whose loading fails, but its dependency C101FM.dll. The GetLastError return value 53 just propagates through.

image.png

Removing network paths from the user's PATH env fixes the DLL loader. Normally PATH would be very last place to be crawled, but apparently the C-101 uses a custom DLL loader for easier development & debugging.

image.png

Ironically enough, the tools that triggered this issue are the very same ones I ended up using to debug it.

• Like 2

Thanks for your research, @andyn!
I had basically the same problem and was able to solve it through what you found out.

The error message in my dcs.log was:

2021-04-02 20:53:50.289 ERROR   EDCORE: Failed to load D:/Games/DCS World OpenBeta/Mods/aircraft/C-101/bin/C101EBSys.dll: (87) Falscher Parameter. 

The German "Falscher Parameter" just means "Wrong parameter".
In my User Path variable I found an old entry which was not a valid path anymore. After removing it, all went fine.

I hadn't used the C-101 for a longer time and it seems they have changed their loading algorithm for some reason.

• Like 1