[PLANNED] FBW G-Limiter AA else CHARGES not working as expected

=36=Witcher

It seems that the "FBW G-Limiter AA else CHARGES" does not work as expected. As I read it, it should go AA as long as the key is pressed, and CHARGES if released, and this actually works for a long-press of the key. Instead, when I just press the key and release it immediately, it acts like a toggle. I expect it to do a quick AA/CHARGES cycle and stay down instead.

Edited by =36=Witcher

This kind of bind is normally used for 2 position switch and allow to mimic the real switch on the aircraft. So it works as expected. 

There's another bind that is doing what you want and that I'm currently using. Should be used with push button.I'll get you the name.  

Edited by Steph21

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid this is not what I'm talking about.

You see, all this comes from the fact that through Thrustmaster TARGET I'm "simulating" a two way-switch: if I quick press a button on a Thrustmaster MFD I quicly send 1 and then 0 (to "reset" the switch, because it seems that the 0 is not registered if I enter the cockpit in AA position until I send 1 at least once), if I long press it I send 1. So I expect that when I send a 1 and immediately after that a 0 (which mimics a physical switch up/down), the switch should stay CHARGES in the end, not toggling every time.

Edited by =36=Witcher

Ok so that might be linked to Target. I stopped using it a while ago.

Anyway, here is the bind for FBW Limiter toggle: "FBW G-Limiter Mode TOGGLE".

Just map it to your OSB on the Thrusmaster MFD, and you will be fine.

Yeah, but this way I will have a toggle, which is not what I would like to. Of course I will resort to it if I should find any other solution... that could be to add a small delay between press and delay.

Thanks for the inputs, it's been a constructive discussion 🙂

Ok, the more I play with it, the more I realize that probably the better thing would be to introduce "single state" alternative bindings. In other words, now we have "FBW G-Limiter Toggle" and "FBW AA else CHARGES". Well, in order to accomplish what I want, the cleaner way would be to also have "FBW AA" and "FBW CHARGES". By the way, it seems that other switches already have those (e.g. Master Arm, TDC Mode) while others don't (e.g. FBW Charges, Gun Arm, Radar B-Scope).

Is there a chance we could get these bindings in the future?

Edited by =36=Witcher

If you look at the default.lua bind file, this bind is doing nothing else than moving the cockpit switch, to AA when the device sends a 1, to CHARGES when the device sends a 0. If you think you are sending quickly a 1 then a 0, and it doesn’t end up at CHARGES, that’s either because you are not sending what you think with TARGET, or because DCS or DirectX mess up the events, by filtering out the 0 or swapping them because they are simultaneous. You should check with a joystick event logging tool what TARGET is really sending.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason for this is that the "up" action isn't recognized while the switch is animating from 0 to 1. During the animation sequence it's not possible to command the other direction. The motion up to the charges position continues despite the "up" command sending it back down. It's not yet in the charges position.

There's nothing wrong with his input it's just changing your mind like that isn't supported. There are switches in DCS which are interruptible despite being mid-transition, but I don't know how that's done.

The quickest solution I can guess is to make a custom command for switch state 0 and 1 and bind them explicitly to separate button inputs. I think that will allow explicit mid-transition switch state commands to go through instead of being ignored.

As a semi-whiz in TARGET I'm trying to conceive of a solution that allows the "off" command instantly except in cases where on hasn't been on long enough. I'm also a bit curious if this applies in the reverse, the on command not being recognized if the switch is in transition from on to off.

include "target.tmh"

char onLongEnough;        //tracking if switch on long enough to turn off
int chainedFunction;    //function run on 1
int delayedRelease;        //function if quick release

int main()
{
    if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

onLongEnough = 0//initialize false
    chainedFunction = CHAIN(DOWN+DX1, D(1000), EXEC("onLongEnough=1;"));
    delayedRelease = CHAIN(D(1000), EXEC("if(Throttle[EACOFF]) ActKey(KEYON+UP+DX1);"));

MapKey(&Throttle, EACON, EXEC("ActKey(PULSE+KEYON+chainedFunction);"));
    MapKeyR(&Throttle, EACON, EXEC("if(onLongEnough==1) ActKey(KEYON+UP+DX1); else ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+delayedRelease); onLongEnough=0;"));

}

int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)
{
    DefaultMapping(&o, x);
}

Best I can do. If you rapidly flip the switch on/off it gets confused because there is no lock on the delayed actions and they overlap. I could introduce a lock but that would mean more problems I think. Simply changing the switch again calmly resyncs it though.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but you should probably chance this:

chainedFunction = CHAIN(DOWN+DX1, D(1000), EXEC("onLongEnough=1;"));

To this:

chainedFunction = CHAIN(DOWN+DX1, TEMPO(0, EXEC("onLongEnough=1;"), 1000));

Since that will prevent the flag from turning on if the button is not held for a full second.

With a DELAY the flag will turn on after one second regardless.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
Il 4/4/2021 at 19:09, Kercheiz ha scritto:

If you look at the default.lua bind file, this bind is doing nothing else than moving the cockpit switch, to AA when the device sends a 1, to CHARGES when the device sends a 0. If you think you are sending quickly a 1 then a 0, and it doesn’t end up at CHARGES, that’s either because you are not sending what you think with TARGET, or because DCS or DirectX mess up the events, by filtering out the 0 or swapping them because they are simultaneous. You should check with a joystick event logging tool what TARGET is really sending.

Hey, sorry I didn't reply to this... I must have missed the notification.

I already checked with the Thrustmaster Device Analyzer. I am definitely sending the 1 and the 0, the issue is with the timing because if I add a pause of, let's say, 200ms it works. So it should be as @Frederfsaid: as long as the switch is animating it will reject the next input. But honestly, to me sending a 1 and then a 0 looks like an hack. Of course, if it's my only option I guess I'll have to live with it, no problem 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

They probably will. But let me point out that I had a different solution in my mind: 

Il 3/4/2021 at 12:01, =36=Witcher ha scritto:

Ok, the more I play with it, the more I realize that probably the better thing would be to introduce "single state" alternative bindings. In other words, now we have "FBW G-Limiter Toggle" and "FBW AA else CHARGES". Well, in order to accomplish what I want, the cleaner way would be to also have "FBW AA" and "FBW CHARGES". By the way, it seems that other switches already have those (e.g. Master Arm, TDC Mode) while others don't (e.g. FBW Charges, Gun Arm, Radar B-Scope).

Is there a chance we could get these bindings in the future?

So... I'm sorry anyway.

Edited by =36=Witcher

• 1 month later...
  • myHelljumper changed the title to [PLANNED] FBW G-Limiter AA else CHARGES not working as expected