Anton Vs Dora

StevanJ

Long time BIG Dora fan, I have NO issues with the Dora, she's my favourite Warbird.
Im curious to the Anton though, I can do much in the Dora, and never felt im limited by its munitons or guns..

Is the Anton a huge variation from the Dora? Will i fly it, and will it feel like a new module?
Or more of an upgrade? Does it run a totally different mission?

The AI, seem to make it look like a completely different unit when comparisons are made in missions.

Those who have both, could you share your views please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Dora has a High Altitud Fighter with lineal engine heavy automation and secoundary ground attack capability. Was the base to the Fw Ta-152 interceptor.

The Anton has a more commun fighter version with radial engine and secoundary ground attack capability. A F-8 ground attack rol version can be added in a future to the A-8.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

The Anton has a less powerful engine. It's therefore less capapable in dogfights; I find it much more difficult to defeat the AI Mustang. In fact, I can only defeat it because it's a bit stupid. Exception: If you manage to control the Anton perfectly in a head-on approach, a single burst of fire from all 4 guns will destroy any opponent. The Anton is easier to keep on a straight course to target, she feels more controllable. That, combined with her fire power, makes her a great platform for strafing attacks. The Anton is my first choice for engaging ground targets.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, LeCuvier said:

The Anton has a less powerful engine. It's therefore less capapable in dogfights; I find it much more difficult to defeat the AI Mustang. In fact, I can only defeat it because it's a bit stupid. Exception: If you manage to control the Anton perfectly in a head-on approach, a single burst of fire from all 4 guns will destroy any opponent. The Anton is easier to keep on a straight course to target, she feels more controllable. That, combined with her fire power, makes her a great platform for strafing attacks. The Anton is my first choice for engaging ground targets.

If you prefer dogfighting, would you pick the Dora?

18 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

If you prefer dogfighting, would you pick the Dora?

If I want to be successful in dogfighting I'll certainly pick the Dora. If I want it to be challenging then I might take the Anton.

• Thanks 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

@StevanJ

The Dora is an high alt, +15k ft energy fighter (racehorse), the Anton is an low alt, -10k ft turn fighter (workhorse).

Completely different areas of application.

horrido😉

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/8/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jandar said:

the Anton is an low alt, -10k ft turn fighter lawn mower

fixed your typo 😉

• Like 2

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

As to the rest of the design philosophy, Tank wanted something more than an aircraft built only for speed. Tank outlined the reasoning:

The Messerschmitt 109 [sic] and the British Spitfire, the two fastest fighters in world at the time we began work on the Fw 190, could both be summed up as a very large engine on the front of the smallest possible airframe; in each case armament had been added almost as an afterthought. These designs, both of which admittedly proved successful, could be likened to racehorses: given the right amount of pampering and easy course, they could outrun anything. But the moment the going became tough they were liable to falter. During World War I, I served in the cavalry and in the infantry. I had seen the harsh conditions under which military equipment had to work in wartime. I felt sure that a quite different breed of fighter would also have a place in any future conflict: one that could operate from ill-prepared front-line airfields; one that could be flown and maintained by men who had received only short training; and one that could absorb a reasonable amount of battle damage and still get back. This was the background thinking behind the Focke-Wulf 190; it was not to be a racehorse but a Dienstpferd, a cavalry horse.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_190

Testing the Fw 190

On 23 June 1942 Leutnant Arnim Faber of III./JG 2 became disorientated during a dogfight with Spitfires over southwest England, and landed in error at the RAF airfield at Pembrey, south Wales. After undergoing trials at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, the captured fighter went to the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU) at Duxford for tactical trials against each of the British and US fighter types that was likely to meet the German aircraft in combat. An abridged version of the resultant report, issued in August 1942 and reproduced below, shows how the German fighter compared with its contemporaries. It should be remembered that the words were not those of Focke-Wulf salesmen trying to boost their company's product, but came from those forced to give grudging admiration to a product of their foe.

Fw 190 vs Spitfire Mk VB

The Fw 190 was compared with...

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/21980-testing-the-fw-190/

Attention: The captured version is A3 not A8 with MW-50!!

🖖😉

Edited by Jandar
  • Like 2

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Couple of my reasons and I don't think I can be more than subjective on this, sorry to disappoint 🙂

The 190A is a newer DCS module, the cockpit textures appear better in my opinion. It's a tad better looking in my opinion. The skin selection looks pretty awesome, thanks to the community skinners contributions (long may that system continue).

I also like the appearance of the classic shorter nose, it's quite iconic. The loadout is more varied I found, it was nice to have something with good ground attack also.

I prefer it over the Dora because I find it easier to fly for landing, takeoff and generally mooching about. It's very stable, forgiving and i'd say the second most docile after the P-47's.

One of the other key reasons I have it in my stable is becase it fits better with the existing flock. The Dora and the Kurfurst are very late on in the last 6 months of the war. The speeds and performances are easier to work into a matchup

Edited by Pikey
  • Like 2

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, Istari6 said:

Yes, you can't call the Fw 190 A-8 a turn fighter.  That's what it's absolutely worst at.  

Sure it's a great turn fighter:

1. You make a gun pass at the enemy, follow through and extend.

2 Land at a field in front of you.

3 The ground crew turns the plane around.

4. You take off in the opposite direction to make another pass at the enemy.

Edited by Bozon
  • Thanks 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Anton turn performance...

1. Bank the aircraft

2. Watch the ASI bleed back to 300km/h

3. Shake, stall and roll over

🙄

I’d be interested in everyone’s level speed comparisons between the Anton and Dora...

Comments above suggest the Dora has seen some loss of performance compared to early versions of the module.  OTOH the Anton seems to struggle to get over 500 km/h in level flight 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Anton turn performance...

1. Bank the aircraft

2. Watch the ASI bleed back to 300km/h

3. Shake, stall and roll over

🙄

I’d be interested in everyone’s level speed comparisons between the Anton and Dora...

Comments above suggest the Dora has seen some loss of performance compared to early versions of the module.  OTOH the Anton seems to struggle to get over 500 km/h in level flight 

It's a plane with a 'weird' behavior.. for 1944 technological level.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Flew the Dora for the first time in years (couldn’t master take off and landing when it came out ☺️)

the Dora really shows what a step change it is over the Anton - faster, more manoeuvrable, less prone to stalling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been flying both Anton and Dora - a lot…

still can’t quite figure why there is such a discrepancy in performance???

Sure, at max revs / boost and MW50 the Dora massively trumps Anton for power, but even at 1.1ATA /2500(?) rpm the Dora will bowl along at 500kph in level flight at 300m

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Been flying both Anton and Dora - a lot…

still can’t quite figure why there is such a discrepancy in performance???

Sure, at max revs / boost and MW50 the Dora massively trumps Anton for power, but even at 1.1ATA /2500(?) rpm the Dora will bowl along at 500kph in level flight at 300m

Less drag for example, different prop, etc

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Tried the same flight as above, but using Anton not Dora…

Level flight at 300m, no load out, fuel load adjusted to same TO weight as the Dora run, and yes the Anton would also just about hit 500-510kph - but absolutely maxed out, whereas the Dora was considerably throttled back…

That’s only 315mph 😕

At low alt, 350 is very fast. P-51 or Dora maxed out are doing something like 360 mph ish and those are hot rods of ww2. Dora is a bit faster down low.

I managed to get up to 538 kph which is 334 mph not too bad.

hA0DmPF.jpeg

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor