VR online unplayable with 3080 and G2 REVERB - pls help

tapi

I can play offline fairly well with stable 45 FPS (reprojection ON) and smooth experience. But as soon as I spawn on WWII SoW server (I play only warbirds so this is the only server I use) and only sitting in a cockpit without touching anything I have unplayable 20-30 FPS with very frequent spikes on GPU timing and CPU timing over 20 ms. See attached SteamVR graph. As soon as I ALT + TAB to desktop SteamVR graph turns to green (see the last part of the graph). If I hop again into the cockpit FPS goes down again. Also very often spikes on GPU (and less than 30 fps) continues even when I return to GUI. I have to restart VR SW and fresh start DCS to be able to play at least offline.

BTW: I have no  problem to play DCS on SoW server on Desktop - I have stable (locked) 60 FPS (unlocked cca 60-80) with fairly high graphic setting and smooth experience with TrackIR.

Any help or hint appreciated. THX

Specs of my RIG:

HW: i7-7700K@OC to 5.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, MB ASUS Z270-A, GTX 3080, WINDOWS 10 64-bit

Latest NVidia drivers 465.89 (with clean reinstall)

Windows updated with latest updates to 20H2 (OS Build 19042.906)

REVERB G2 connected to USB 3.0 powered UB (iTec USB 3.0 48W)

DCS PD set = 0,9

SteamVR SS = to 100%

My nVidia settings - see attachment

My DCS settings - see attachment

WINDOWS 10
Power plan = High Performance
Game mode  = OFF
HW Accelerated GPU scheduling = OFF

Device Manager -select Hidden -> System device - disable High Precision event timer

Registry:

Deleted GameDVR keys

WMR Portal
Optimized for performance

DCS Open  Beta Optimization
Disabled hotplug

Deleted directories in Saved Games:  fxo, Metashders2

Deleted directories in DCS: \Mods\terrains\[mapa]\misc\metacache\dcs\ 

DCS.exe - Properties - Compatibility -> checked -"Disable Full screen Optimization"

Steam VR - tried both Beta and not beta

VMX for SteamVR - tried both Beta and not beta

TapiVR.jpg

NVcp03.jpg

NVcp02.jpg

NVcp01.jpg

DCS-01.jpg

DCS-02.jpg

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Set DCS PD to 1.0

Set SteamVR SS to 50% (Reverb G2 has higher native res, try 50% first and try and get it as close to 2160 x 2160 as possible for starters)

As for NVCP none of you settings really have any effect in VR. Recommend that you roll all back with restore function and only set Power Mgmt Mode to High Performance and Texture filtering - Quality to High Performance. Most likely they have no effect in VR but cannot hurt.

Besides these you can play around with the SteamVR SS lvl and DCS settings to see performance impact. Remember to restart DCS after every change to make sure settings "bite".

Good luck

Edited by jonass1
  • Like 1

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

Have you tried it with the antialiasing turned off in NVidia? Yes it will look pretty horrible.

I'm on a GTX 2060 and cannot use any AA in VR on medium textures.

I was hoping that a future upgrade to a 3080 might solve this for me, but this has made me a bit sad that DCS just seems to run like a dog (and a slow one) in VR.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

What is your ping to that particular server?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@Sr.: Actually my ping to SoW server is very good - only 26 ms.

@jonass1: I tried your recommendations. With PD = 1 and SS = 50% and MSAA = OFF (tried with and without NVCP AA = 2x) the graphics look very bad, but I was able to fly on SoW. Later I tried to push SS to 75% and it is on the edge. When I spawn on server, everything is OK, GPU and PCU under 15 ms, 45 FPS. But as soon as I start moving, CPU timing goes red (over 20 ms) and GPU timing has frequent spikes. FPS drops to cca 30. BTW GPU load is still only 50-60%. So I have to stop my taxi and wait cca 60-120s for everything to settle down, then I can continue. As soon as I am in the air and well above terrain I have stable 45 FPS. But if I go low, or planes are near, CPU timing goes to red while GPU is still under 20 ms. But FPS drops to cca 30-35 and scene is (of course) not smooth. GPU load is even under 50%. So my conclusion is that my CPU is not powerfull enough to cope with the server's agenda effectively and hamper my powerful GPU...

@jib: well, DCS compute a lot of stuff, that is why it needs powerfull CPU... Base on my own example I'm afraid that your CPU will be much more severe bottleneck for VR than mine...

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Do you have anything in your export.lua; tacview, simshaker, helios? If yes, comment out the lines and test again. Tacview recording can kill FPS by nearly half for VR users. If no, sorry it was my first thought when reading your post. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

has that i7 been delidded?? IF not you could be getting too hot and it is throttling you. you could also be Power limit throttled..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Just curious are you hardwired in or wifi connection? maybe try WMR @ 60hz and as jon said SteamVR @48-50% closest to 2160x2160  - DSC visual @ low to medium.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thank you very much for all comments and tips:

@=Panther= very good tip! I did not realize this. So I disabled Tacview in the DCS Special menu and commented out SimShaker and VAICOM lines in the export.lua (no tackview line in this file). Now the spikes on GPU appear a while later. Now I am able to start the engine, roll to the runway a and even take off with 45 fps but just after take off the CPU times go high and GPU spikes appear and FPS drops to 30 and it is the end of the game for me...

@The_Nephilim Yes, I let my CPU profesionally delid. Hopefully throtlling is not my case.

@Burt I have optical wires internet connection 500 MBit up/down. Yes I am testing on PD = 1 and SteamVr = 50%

@Red_Rex THX very interesting article, I am going to go through it...

Edited by tapi

well the best way to see if you are throttled in any way is to get Intels XTU and use that to monitor the throttling section it has.. then run a stress test and see if any of the CPU gets throttled during the test..

Don't use the XTU to set your OC it is mainly for laptops but it is good to see if your CPU is being throttled in any way.. I just used it an found out I was power limit throttled and did not even know it until I ran XTU and a stress test..

I would most likely say you could be Power limit throttled and not even know it.. Hopefully throttling is not your issue as you should be getting better FPS with your system..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Throtlling test:

CPU_throttlin_test.jpg

Here is how it looks on SOW server for me:

VR data.jpg

Edited by tapi

What do you think guys about my RAM? Could it be possible bottleneck? Would be RAM with higher clocks useful?

CPUZ-1.jpg

CPUZ-2.jpg

CPUZ-3.jpg

CPUZ-4.jpg

CPUZ-5.jpg

CPUZ-6.jpg

Edited by tapi

On 4/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, Red_Rex said:

@tapi if you have not read before:

For my 2080ti (under water) it was helpful.

Well, I tried step by step all the tips. Especially turning off the Hyperthreading in BIOS seems to be helpful...

Now if I ALT + TAB out and back to game after the spawn at SoW I have this typical situation:

SoW-01.jpg

CPU looks good enough now (all four cores are in activity and not in red) but strangely my 3080 have frequent spikes thought it is only 66% load (earlier I thought it was caused by slow CPU, but probably it isn't). On the screen there is 45 FPS but the rendered scene is jerky, probably due to the fluctuation of GPU timing...

I do not now what is the cause, because in SP I do not see this anymore....

LFDM server - similar situation:

LFDM-01.jpg

Edited by tapi

THX, but I do not have legacy motion smoothing checked for DCS but the new one. I also tried disable reprojection completly but it is much worse.

Nothing active. I even went through all my processes and write script to kill many of them before starting DCS to be sure my system is as clean as possible...

Well, I reinstalled Windows 10 to be sure I have everything clean.

The only settings I have now are:

NVCP: Image Quality - High perofrmance
           Power Management = Prefer maximum performance

Windows: Turn off HPET

MODS: Variant o Kagety's mod:  https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/257795-vr-shaders-for-ic-pass-clear-water-and-texture-fixes/

Mustang's mod: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/241412-256xxxxx-adjusted-shaders

I run PD = 1 and SS = 54%, reprojection = ON

My testing (benchmark) missions:

For SP: P-47D mission Yardstick (many objects and AI aircrafts, The Chanel map)

For MP:  connected to SoW, Spit IX, Saint-Croix airfiled

SP: With moderate graphic settings I can do 45 FPS in Yardstick. GPU is about 70-80%, CPU just below 20 ms. 

MP: is still unplayable even with the nearly lowest (i.e. very ugly) DCS graphic settings (ie. no shadows, AF = 2x, MSAA = OFF etc.) - CPU is above 20 ms and GPU has spikes above 20 ms too, Utilization of CPU is 100% with 2 cores active (if I ALT + TAB out and in, all 4 cores are utilized at about 60%). GPU is utilized 80-90%. On SOW I have cca 30-35 FPS. Tried LFDM server with the same result...

I still wonder how demanding is MP comparing to SP. Why so big difference?

Edited by tapi

• ED Team

Hi, 

Can you try this, 

In NVIDIA setting set max frame rate to 200

then set background application frame rate to 200

save and test. 

Let me know if you notice any change. 

Regarding multiplayer, there is a lot more going on, especially busy servers, and on top of that net sync also. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Very helpful tip! Thanks a lot, Bignewy.

There is noticeable performance improvement on my PC, especially regarding GPU stability, i.e. I do not have now those frequent spikes on GPU and the GPU timing is lower.

I even hope to be able to play online now but unfortunately it is not the case. If I spawn I have now nice low timing for CPU and GPU and stable 45 FPS, that is an improvement! But after some short time after take off CPU timing starts to rise above 20 ms and though GPU still remains in teens ms, my FPS drops to unplayable 35 FPS. The same increase of CPU timing (and subsequent FPS drop) also happen to me in SP while in combat and there are damaged WWII planes (new DM seems to be very CPU demanding). 

Well I learned a lot about tuning DCS during last two weeks 🙂 and hopefully, after CPU & RAM upgrade later this year, I will be able to enjoy the sim fully in VR.

Once again THANKS TO ALL for help in this thread!

Edited by tapi