How to Hover . ?

KoN

How do you get this thing to hover . I find it nearly impossible . . is there a cheat switch to push so i can just hover instead of frustrating hours of trying . 

Miss the whole battle trying to hover . what am i doing wrong here . far too sensitive for me  .

KA-50 i have no problems . 

Edited by Con

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

It can be really difficult. Especially if you have been used to flying other helicopters. Here are some tips that helped me.

1.   Reduce your X- and Y- saturation. Here are the settings I used.  https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/202979-the-key-to-zhe-gazelle/?do=findComment&comment=3889219   The video in that post is also worth watching.

2.  Make sure you have the necessary stabiliser/gyro on (p99 of the manual). If you are starting out, create a hot-start mission so it is already on for you (it removes the ambiguity of whether you turned it on or not).

3.  Set the artificial horizon to "DOP" (= doppler, p78 of the manual). This lets you know if you are going too fast or not to get into auto-hover.

4.  Enable the control indicator (I think it is Rctrl+Enter). This will let you check if your controls are too extreme, but it also lets you see the position of them when you are in autohover.

5.  Start by practising from a hot-start, lift off and immediately go into auto-hover on takeoff.

6.  Fly with maximum load. Unlike other helicopters, where this is usually a problem, the SA342 has so much power-to-weight ratio, that adding a dust filter, full fuel, full weapons, IR suppressor, and everything will actually give it some inertia and make it (very slightly) more manageable.

Finally, I assume you've taken at look at Chapter 11 of the manual (p129). This as the details fro the autopilot (incl. auto-hover) controls.

Ref: Polychop/DCS: SA342 Gazelle Flight Manual (the one that comes with the module).

Maybe this could help:

Apply power slowly and continuously.

Look forward and keep your nose straight with your feet.

Do not touch the cyclic.

You will notice that the helicopter is lifting nicely almost in a hover position. The helicopter has a tendency to move slightly forward and right (IIRC). This movement is easily cancelled with the beep trim but this can come a bit later on.

Long story short, apply power gently, keep your nose straight and don't touch anything else.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That may help you alot:

Hover tutorial and background  and take your time to watch the whole video.

Set curves as suggested and tune it to fit your joystick/throttle (i.e. collective) hardware. And the rest is all practise. In battle take your time, look for a sweet spot to explore the AO outside the range of AAA/AA units, search for high priority threats, check distance using the laser, move in, pop up in auto hover mode (if you are flying without a copilot) by de-selecting (auto)- collective, hide again.

I recently came back to the Gaz and it´s my favourite helo righ now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Thank you i shall dig deeper into this . 

Edit . 

Just can not get into this . The hover is way too twitchy for me . Seems you got to be dead on to engage hover mode . Too frustrating for me . 

If I can land on a FARP why cant it go into hover surly I'm going slow enough . 

We all have different joysticks and different settings , surly we can have some kind of cheat key that's near the required air speeds . To get this dam thing to hover . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 weeks later...

i never have a prob with it, but you do need to be slower/more precice with your movements, if setting up for an attack for example then coming towards your "spot as you would to land, just at the point of landing or whatever height behind a tree, just tilt forward slightly, as you would have been tail back and it will settle then hit the button and voila, did take me a time to get this just right 

I'm not convinced . lol going to give it one more try I'm trying to complete the campaign . I'm only on the second mission and its night time , in VR looks amazing , But i cant get this to hover . I don't think I'm going to even complete this . I don't see many Gazelles flying about on multiplayer  . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

1 hour ago, KoN said:

But i cant get this to hover

Are you using DOP mode on the ADI to show the needles for lateral and longitudinal drift, they along with the VVI are the key to easily entering auto-hover.

• Ground speed lower than 18 km/h

• Roll and pitch lower than 30°

• Vertical speed lower than +/- 0.6 hm/min

The controls display (RCtrl+Enter) is also handy as it gives instant feedback on when Auto-hover engages and what mode it's in i.e. Collective and Slave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_ZRXieGKk&t=154s

Edited by Ramsay
VVI is in hm/min

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

This from a rotary wing friend of mine . . . 

Have you tried doing some “push ups”?

Literally, start on the ground and get into a 5FT hover slowly by rising slowly and then holding there, then land.

Do this a few times until you can hold position more often than not.

Then whilst in the hover, try a slow on the spot turn though 90* either way without losing height.

When you can reliably do this, then go up to 50FT and do it again, then 100FT.

Then move onto translations - going from the hover at whatever height to another point (one end of runway to the other maybe) and back again, visualise the piano keys as the desired points of hover and touchdowns.

Practise at this as much as you need - you can’t practise too much!

Then practise flying away from the airfield, and circle back to come to the hover exactly above the piano keys as before.

Then you can move onto more complex manoeuvres, like sideways flight, rear wards flight (level!).

In all events though, small movements and pre-empt the result.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

DCS in general is a niche.  Flying helicopters in DCS is an even smaller niche.  Most people want to jump into a jet and spam 100 AMRAAMs, or Phoenix's; measuring their e-peens by how many kills they have more than the next guy.  

Fact is, anyone can jump in and fly a plane; but it takes a pilot to fly choppers.  😁  I'll take FLAK for that statement I'm sure.  Don't measure the value of any bird by how often it's seen in multiplayer.

I enjoy flying the Gazelle very much.  I use it as a light scout chopper, and as a means to put the fast movers where they belong with the MISTRAL variant.  Point is, don't give up on it so quickly.  Stick with it, and eventually you'll have an "AH HA" moment where it just clicks.

• Like 2

Going to give it a few more tries . I have  DOP mode on the ADI to show the needles for lateral and longitudinal drift . White lines . 

Edit ....

ok after watching videos I've noticed that there is no way my Gazelle is behaving like it is in them videos  .

I can remember when I first bought this module  that i had no problem flying or hovering . 

I'm now reading here that the FM is broken and will be fixed when the release of the new Kiowa .  I'm playing on open beta 2.7 . Has this effected the controls . 

If I move my joystick there is like a delay in the Gazelle movement  -  Virpil Mongoose . with hard center cams . 

ok" I dropped down my sensitive to 45 on Y axis in pitch and roll . Seems to be doing the trick " still a pain in the ass to hover but managed to get there . 

Campaign finished last mission wont end did twice .. landed but wont end .. ?? lol 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Unless you post a vid of you hovering with the inputs displayed , I don't think many here are going to be able to really help that much unfortunately.

I see someone posted a link to curves, have a look at this vid where Casmo has a play in the Gaz, in the vid description is set of curve's. If they are different to the ones above maybe give them a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3sntZXRbU

Although the FM is not the best , it doesn't IMHO make it harder to hover compared to the other Helos in the game.

Helicopters at slow speeds will always have a slight delay between stick input and aircraft response.  The slower it is, the longer the delay. You need to anticipate what its response is going to be, before it actually does it.  

That being said, two things I was taught years ago when trying to learn to hover:

1 - Light hands.  You're not trying to choke the shit out of the stick.  If you're knuckles are white, you're holding too tight.  You wouldn't treat your junk that way, right?  🤨 Right??

2 - Very small stick movements.  Push the stick in the direction you want to go, hold for just a moment (literally like half a second), then back to center.  It's easier to fix a small mistake than a big one.  This will help keep you from over correcting.

Other than that, it's as @BaD CrC said, "Practice again and again."

Good Luck!

P.S.  One more thing. Through it all, just try to relax.  It's a game... correction, simulation, after all.  There will always be a reset button when we fail.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Jags1041 said:

Just found out that my problem was the Fuel flow not being at 100% because I had it assigned to an axis. After changing that, Auto-hover works. go figure.

Assigning that function to an axis has been broken for quite some time. It never reaches the full 100% and causes many to ask the same question. 

Glad you figured it out.

• 1 month later...

So you can land. Do you hover to do it or just "fly" it down to your landing spot?    

Are you asking about the auto-hover function?

One thing to check, I discovered the other day that FFB got turned on in the Gazelle tab in options. It might have happened in the last update. 
I'm 100% sure it was off before hand.  

This screwed me up no end, never allowing a "zeroing" input value from the stick, never letting the aircraft become stable.  

A light touch forward kept nosing it down until I corrected, which kept raising the nose, which required a light touch forward... ad nauseum.

Are you asking to do a long term hover while you use the optics? You’re going to have to use the auto hover I’m sure. Manual however requires constant focus.

my control curves are:

cyclic x/y axes +10 curve , no dead zone, no saturation changes

collective: default, no changes

Pedals: -15 curve, +4 deadzone, no other changes 

I didn’t like the gaz when I first bought it a year or so ago. Just tried it again last night and I’m enjoying it

Even with the curves though I was flying with just index finger and thumb on the cyclic doing gentle inputs, unless I did a harsh maneuver like a j hook. I can hover just fine 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg