Just ordered a new computer. Will it run DCS?

Dell G5 Desktop, NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6, 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700F processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.8GHz), 128GB  M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA 7200RPM HDD 3.5", 16GB, 1x16GB, DDR4, 2933MHz

I am not a serious gamer. I have been with DCS for more than 10 years and have always had just enough hardware power to run the game. So this setup (although not a serious one for many of you) is very much an upgrade from my old i5 2.5Ghz Quad core and my Nvidia 660Ti. 

I do not use VR, I use Track IR. So my question is: How much better off am I? I was at the point with the old computer that I couldn't really play without deadly low FPS, and Dubai wasn't even an option.

I use my computer for work mostly but I still want to have my guilty DCS pleasure. Any input on what I might need or how well this will perform is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Well it definitely will run DCS @ 1080P but the one pressing thisg I see is the RAM you should get 2 stick Not 1 as the RAM is dual channel and will suffer performance loss with only 1 ram chip..

Also I would put DCS All on the SSD, a Platter drive will kill performance in DCS..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Should def run much better than your old rig.  As far as storage, I agree an SSD is far better, but I got decent performance on a mechanical drive until I got an SSD to dedicate to DCS.  Depending on your content 128 may not be nearly enough.

8 GB RAM is marginal to play DCS, consider a 32 GB kit to replace what you have, but do not simply add to it, RAM chips can change from batch to batch even with the exact same model and you'll take the risk to have booting failures because of incompatibility.

Buy a new 32 GB RAM kit and sell this one.

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

This may be interesting to you

Heed RAM comments.

Should be a perfectly serviceable machine at 1080 or maybe even 1440 with the simpler flights/missions and aircraft.

Larger NVME/SSD is definitely worth doing. If it were me, Windows + Pagefile on the M.2 SSD, get another M.2 drive for DCS, use the installed HDD for everything else non-game related.

Edited by reece146

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 2:41 AM, Thinder said:

8 GB RAM is marginal to play DCS, consider a 32 GB kit to replace what you have, but do not simply add to it, RAM chips can change from batch to batch even with the exact same model and you'll take the risk to have booting failures because of incompatibility.

Buy a new 32 GB RAM kit and sell this one.

I wonder if this is what’s happening to me.  I’ve been pulling my hair out with this thing

..wwwwait, he got 1x16GB RAM and 8GB VRAM, not 8GB total RAM.

Still, only 1 Channel populated, that sux. Either buy the matching other 16GB stick from Dell or sell the one it comes with and buy a 16 o 32GB kit.

Check how high your board goes with RAM MHz before you buy 3200 or faster RAM etc. The default for 10thgen Intel is 2933MHz iirc for RAM speed.

I doubt Dell gives you options with higher speeds.

*edit:  yes, the NVMe is way to small to hold OS + DCS, either live with a slow HDD or get more SSD space in any form.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X