Best Module to invest time in learning

Lynchsl62

On 4/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, Roosterfeet said:

I own the F-18, F-14, and both A-10 modules. I would not hesitate to recommend all three. 

The best value is the F-18.

• Multirole
  • most weapon systems
  • most content, both premium and user made
  • The user made Liberation dynamic campaign can be played with any aircraft but the multirole F-18 is ideal
  • IMHO easier air to air refueling than the F-14 and it's worth learning for longer missions
  • Easy to fly, moderately complex systems and avionics

I love the F-14, it's what brought me back to DCS years after I lost interest in LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs

• All about air to air
  • Fast
  • pretty simple systems and avionics if you tell Jester what do do with the handy radial menu
  • Jester has a volume nob on the left panel
  • most challenging to fly of the three
  • Very difficult air to air refueling but has very good range so most missions won't need it if you don't go crazy with burners
  • Has some very good campaigns packed with it and some very good premium and user created content as well, but not as much as the F-18
  • Surprisingly effective unguided bomb dropping capability that, to my knowledge, never got combat use in real life
  • Also has laser guided bomb capability that was used IRL but it currently requires jumping back and forth between cockpits and I haven't messed with it

I'd actually contend, in terms of dollars spent per module gains, the F/A-18C is actually a worse value than the F-14.  You get two F-14's, the Forestall, the AI-A6 Intruder, two campaigns, and a soundtrack for ~$80. 

I'd also disagree about the F-14 being "All about air to air".  The A2G capabilities are quite good.  You get a diverse array of weapons, including some precision weapons, but sure, it's not as fleshed out as the F/A-18C became in terms of weapons it could deploy, but the mission sets are still very good.  LANTIRN Pilot Control Mod is excellent and allows for front seat operation of the LANTIRN pod.  Sure, not realistic, but it works.  The Air to Air is also quite good and she's rewarding to fly well.  She'll definitely feel more like a warbird than a Hornet will and there isn't a whole lot of complex shenaniganry you need to worry about to deploy weapons with it.

For me, the F-14 is my natural choice.  It feels like I'd expect an airplane to fly.  The Hornet feels numb, and I'm already flying a "video game" so why would I want to fly a flying "video game" inside of a "video game".  Give me something with character any day! 🙂  You can keep your SEAD/DEAD missions... I'll be on station for 6 hours and still have more fuel than you took off with in the Hornet! 😄

560.jpg

• Like 5

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

I'd say a safer bet would be to pick whatever plane you prefer in real life and you'll probably get the most bang for your buck if it's a plane you'll always want to fly in DCS but it isn't always the case.

Here's ranked by hours spent playing, the type of modules I've played:

It could very well be an aircraft you don't really find interesting in real life and in sim, this was the case with me and the ajs37 viggen and the harrier (I've got by far the fewest hours in those two). 

It could also be aircrafts you liked irl but then never liked flying them around in DCS such as the mirage 2000c, the sa342 gazelle, or the f14 for me.

It could be an aircraft that you want to like because they are very capable and like them irl but simply don't click with you for some reason such as the f16 and jf17 (I have moderate hours in them)

It could be aircraft you didn't really care for at first but after playing them you really started to enjoy flying them just as it was the case with me and the a10c, the mig21, the ka50, mi8 and huey (I have a lot of hours in those planes).

Or you can have the perfect match such as the f/a-18c, I love this plane in real life and I love flying this plane in missions in DCS (I've got the most hours in this one by far).

I'm curious, is there one DCS aircraft you really like in real life ? Which one is it ?

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

Just to be different, the Mi8.

It takes some real time and effort to become proficient in its use, but is massively rewarding when you have.

For jets, in going to say the F18 and Harrier, both of which I love flying 

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I would say the Hornet as well. Carrier ops with the Hornet and Super Carrier are a blast.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Regarding the F/A-18, there is one major question to answer to yourself.

Are you more into electronic warfare and diving into your DDIs or do you want to feel and master actual flying?

There is nothing wrong with the flight model of the F/A-18 but it is fly-by-wire and like any fbw-bird it feels more or less on rails compared to "analog" birds.

For me, the "difficult" analog flying maschines are much more rewarding. Therefore I end up flying 60% rotorcraft (Mi-8/UH-1H), 35% Warbirds and 5% Jets...

• Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, notproplayer3 said:

I'm curious, is there one DCS aircraft you really like in real life ? Which one is it ?

My favourite is Bf-109 G variants - early models, but they are not in DCS. I have all the warbirds though and flt the Bf-109 the most then the same amount for the P-51 and FW-190

For non Warbirds it is without a doubt the F-86F, an all time fan of the aircraft. Visited the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA several times and it was always the one I spent most time admiring. The Bucket List includes a return to the Planes of Fame this time to see an airshow and see the real deal in flight and not just on the ground. This year it has been delayed to Oct 30th and 31st, though with COVID still lurking not sure whether this is the year to try

https://planesoffame.org

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Regarding the F/A-18, there is one major question to answer to yourself.

Are you more into electronic warfare and diving into your DDIs or do you want to feel and master actual flying?

I definitely prefer the attempt to master the plane in flight rather give an input to a simulated computer on a computer

• Like 2

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

16 minutes ago, Lynchsl62 said:

I definitely prefer the attempt to master the plane in flight rather give an input to a simulated computer on a computer

There you go - then stay away from the F/A-18 and go for the Sabre. It's a lovely module in my book.

And if you want something more complex and evenly difficult (or more) to fly - take the Tomcat.

(and for the love of got - pick up the Hip in a sale and try it!)

EDIT:

and another great +1 for the Sabre is, that it has probably the most fitting and contemporary opponent in the whole dcs. (non-wwII)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

18 minutes ago, Lynchsl62 said:

My favourite is Bf-109 G variants - early models, but they are not in DCS. I have all the warbirds though and flt the Bf-109 the most then the same amount for the P-51 and FW-190

For non Warbirds it is without a doubt the F-86F, an all time fan of the aircraft. Visited the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA several times and it was always the one I spent most time admiring. The Bucket List includes a return to the Planes of Fame this time to see an airshow and see the real deal in flight and not just on the ground. This year it has been delayed to Oct 30th and 31st, though with COVID still lurking not sure whether this is the year to try

https://planesoffame.org

Interesting, and pardon my curiosity but between the A-10CII, Mirage-2000, F/A-18 and F-14 planes in real life ? 

Seeing how you prefer older analog planes and own all the ww2 warbirds, I would guess the F-14.

If that's the case I mean, the tomcat is a very good choice and you'll also need to learn the radar system among other rio controls not present in those older planes so it adds to the value. On top of that the F-14 module is stunningly done and the flying is very hands on, no computer babysitter.

I advise, and I hope it's not a deal breaker but jester may be a hindrance gameplay wise, I prefer planes where I interact with all the systems at once and basically half the work during combat is made by jester operating the radar and doing other essential things you might've wanted to do.

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

27 minutes ago, notproplayer3 said:

Interesting, and pardon my curiosity but between the A-10CII, Mirage-2000, F/A-18 and F-14 planes in real life ? 

I went to USS Midway and saw the Tomcat, but was much more interested in the F9F and the F-8. I am hoping that Magnitude LLC eventually complete the F-8 as that would be another plane to attempt to master.

I have tried the A-10 C and enjoyed the sound of the gun, the Mirage-2000 is super handling plane. My only concern is undertaking a “Masters” degree to learn the systems etc, I think the investment in time will be in 100+ hours 

• Like 2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Just bought the F5 module with 50% discount. Other modules are also discounted, but no announcement 🤨

• Like 2

Any module you are interested in will be fun to learn. If you want to go with the flow (the plebs) you would choose any of those famous american planes like F-16 or F-18 or F-14.
Just seeing my name here im sure you would know i only drive the metric system stuff aka the red star machines.

• Like 1

mag.iur.

• 3 months later...
En 14/4/2021 a las 9:48, Whiskey11 dijo:

The Hornet feels numb, and I'm already flying a "video game" so why would I want to fly a flying "video game" inside of a "video game".  Give me something with character any day! 🙂  You can keep your SEAD/DEAD missions... I'll be on station for 6 hours and still have more fuel than you took off with in the Hornet! 😄

Totally agree!! I've always loved the F-18 in real life. I try in DCS but I can't. I feel it too fine. However I fly an L-39 / Mig-29 (FC3) / JF17 / F5 ... and I feel like I'm flying (with differences, of course, that's a game) and in the Hornet ... I don't feel anything. I wish I liked it but...

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

Get the Sabre... learn it.. then get the MIG-15. It's a different kind of entertaining.

Then F5... followed by MIG-21.

That'll take you a while.

Mosquito and F4U Corsair are inbound.

If you want to try helis IMO the UH-1H, Mi-8, and Mi-24 are must haves. They feel good dynamically.

Edited by reece146
  • Like 1

I think both F-18C and A-10C are good choice for now, but F-18C is still in early access although it's almost complete. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

F/A-18c, is the ultimate work truck. Air2Air refuel, Carrier Ops, all kind of gear to throw at others under the wings, ...

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

If you want a jet you first gotta figure out what sort of thing you like. Modern or Cold War? Naval or Land based? A/A, Attack, or Multirole?

F18 for multirole naval

F16 (or j17) for multirole land based

A-10 for attack land based 

Harrier for attack naval

f14 for a/a naval

Mirage for a/a land based

edit: I own f18, f16, f14, mirage. I enjoy all of them and if I were single with no kids I’d deep dive into all of them. But with limited time and having to choose only one to get proficient in, I’ve chosen the hornet. I prefer naval ops, multirole, and robust modern systems to do lots of neat things.

Edited by S. Low

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, ReyCandy said:

Totally agree!! I've always loved the F-18 in real life. I try in DCS but I can't. I feel it too fine. However I fly an L-39 / Mig-29 (FC3) / JF17 / F5 ... and I feel like I'm flying (with differences, of course, that's a game) and in the Hornet ... I don't feel anything. I wish I liked it but...

If you go into combat makes tactical decisions easier.  For just flying around, sure those others are fun, but while I love the Tomcat, I would not want to take it to combat instead of the 18.  The SA of the F/A-18 makes it worth it.  It's a beast to learn all the systems and weapons and be able to employ them effectively.

• Like 1

For sure YES, @jwflowersii. I admit that it's very well done. I love the clear view of the HUD. It's very complete, it's used for everything. But after many attempts it still seems very bland (FOR ME, personal opinion). And you don't think that I don't try (I paid for it ... and I like the plane ...) But... pfff I finally fly more other modules but I'll keep trying and maybe one day the spark will jump.

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

F/A-18 Hornet is highly recommended! The targeting pods are fun, it can use a wide variety of weapons, and it's modeled in great detail as far as systems go. Unlike the A-10, it doesn't fly like a slug and has great handling when it's light--but, it's not nimble or even supersonic when heavily loaded with weapons for A2G missions.

Keep in mind that all these modules are a perpetual work-in-progress, but if you want to try your hand at a really cool module that shows what DCS systems modelling is capable of, check out the Hornet!

The A-10C II is also a great module as far as systems and weapons go, but it flies like a lead cow 🙂

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

3rd generation airraft are the most challenging and rewarding IMO. You have electronic, but still it's all about the man above the machine.

F-5, Mig21, Viggen  are a blast

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog