OCR-scanning of SFI AJS37, part 1-3

widen76

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:02 PM, LazyBoot said:

@widen76 So I noticed something a bit odd... The 1975 version of Part 2 has an entire chapter that's missing from your OCRed 1994 Part 2, with things deemed too secret to go into part 1.

Is that something you're also planning on looking at later down the line?

That's interesting, I have to look at that. However, I don't think I have the 1975 SFI Part 2 at hand to check, do you have a link? Thanks!

EDIT: Found it. The 1975 SFI is for AJ37, not AJS37, so that might explain the difference in pages. However, the Aj37 chapter may include common things with the AJS37 variant. Which chapter in the 1975 SFI are we talking about?

Edited by widen76

Update: Halfway mark reached, 300 of 600 pages now completed for SFI Part 1! Yay! The plan is to have it all done by April, including translation into English. This time available file formats for download will be Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF. If there is time I will convert it to LibreOffice as well. Conversion to Google Docs is not planned. Now, where's that coffee... 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 1/30/2023 at 7:54 PM, widen76 said:

This time available file formats for download will be Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF. If there is time I will convert it to LibreOffice as well. Conversion to Google Docs is not planned.

If you save it as .odt then both MS Word, LO and Gdocs can read it. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument)

ODT is the ISO (and NATO) document standard.

Edited by Munin
typo
  • Thanks 1

5 37 39 47 51 52 98 190a ce spit (a4 hab) - 430 ca sc wwii - cau chan mar nor nttr pg syr

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally, it's finished! Saved in .docx, .pdf and .odt format, can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DwOw7jiU3boEWPP-jzZHdauKbJ-7QSC6?usp=sharing

I'm a quite bit burnt-out on this one, so the english translation will not happen, at least not for now. Of course, feel free to translate it. A good starting point is the english version of the JA-37 Viggen SFI (can be found in the forums) that have a lot of overlap with the AJS37 document.

I would like to thank you all for your encouragement in this project, it has kept me going to see the project to the finishing line.

I will now take a much needed break, but the next mountain to climb is the ATIS37 training document, that could be fun!

Of course, the SFI documents are public domain and you are free to do what you want with them. Enjoy!

• Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, widen76 said:

Finally, it's finished! Saved in .docx, .pdf and .odt format, can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DwOw7jiU3boEWPP-jzZHdauKbJ-7QSC6?usp=sharing

I'm a quite bit burnt-out on this one, so the english translation will not happen, at least not for now. Of course, feel free to translate it. A good starting point is the english version of the JA-37 Viggen SFI (can be found in the forums) that have a lot of overlap with the AJS37 document.

I would like to thank you all for your encouragement in this project, it has kept me going to see the project to the finishing line.

I will now take a much needed break, but the next mountain to climb is the ATIS37 training document, that could be fun!

Of course, the SFI documents are public domain and you are free to do what you want with them. Enjoy!

Thanks for going through this epic task! Translating is way, way easier when you have the source in a format where you can just copypasta. I typed so much Swedish text into Google translate before you went on this journey, it is a wonder i am not fluent 😄

A huge contribution that makes this great module even more enjoyable! Truly appreciate the time you sunk into this. Especially when you feel burnt out, best is to pass the flame and let others carry on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Minhal said:

Thanks for going through this epic task! Translating is way, way easier when you have the source in a format where you can just copypasta. I typed so much Swedish text into Google translate before you went on this journey, it is a wonder i am not fluent 😄

A huge contribution that makes this great module even more enjoyable! Truly appreciate the time you sunk into this. Especially when you feel burnt out, best is to pass the flame and let others carry on.

Thanks man! Agreed, this was quite an undertaking and a great journey all the same.

I can imagine you having to do a lot of typing to translate stuff. Copypasta is the way to go 🙂 Soon, AI will take care of all that 🙂

Technical manuals are a challenge to translate, having some references info it can get easier. The english JA-37 SFI has a valuable abbreviation/translation table in the beginning of the document. (Source). I found that DeepL Translate can do a good job translating.

Also, for PDF-docs with just images for text, turning that into editable text, I used a program called ShareX (freeware) that has an inbuilt OCR-scanner. That software has seen some intense use! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks TOViper, you're too kind! 🙂

I have to admit, this was one of the most "nerdiest" thing's I've done, but I do it for the love of the almighty Viggen! 🙂

I love that the Viggen module is still being actively developed, and hopefully the updated sim manual you have been working on will be included in the sim, a much needed addition.

Let's keep this module alive for many years to come! 👍

• Like 1

LOL ... "nerdiest" thing is by far the best description I have heard until today for what you have done on the SFI, and I have to agree when looking at the 600 pages (sorry ... its just 598 😛 pages...)
In fact this term fits perfectly to what I did with the RC2, which I re-built from scratch. Thinking about this, I have no idea what got me sit down for weeks to make it as perfect as possible, but it must have something to do with the love I feel for the module. I don't know why HB didn't include it, maybe they are just super busy ... or they don't like it ... who knows.

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:39 PM, widen76 said:

That's a hell lot of work! Really awesome! Thank you very much for doing this! 👍

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 4/25/2023 at 11:32 PM, TOViper said:

LOL ... "nerdiest" thing is by far the best description I have heard until today for what you have done on the SFI, and I have to agree when looking at the 600 pages (sorry ... its just 598 😛 pages...)
In fact this term fits perfectly to what I did with the RC2, which I re-built from scratch. Thinking about this, I have no idea what got me sit down for weeks to make it as perfect as possible, but it must have something to do with the love I feel for the module. I don't know why HB didn't include it, maybe they are just super busy ... or they don't like it ... who knows.

Yeah, I hear you man. I really like the marriage of the real world and the sim itself, so closely mimicking reality. I've had Viggens fly over my head, just surprisingly popping up out of nowhere. I remember one time, in 1989, it was almost dusk, I was outside our house, playing around with a soccer ball, when I heard a roar. Instinctively I looked up across the roof of the house, then a splinter-camouflaged Viggen swooped over in a slight left hand turn. I could clearly see the red light on the spine, and the lit "slime lights" as it continued its turn. My jaw dropped and I followed it with my stare as it roared away from the area. Now, that's a single Viggen, at dusk, flying low and slow over a densely populated area. Stuff like that really leaves a mark.

I've had a couple more experiences like that, one was with a JAS 39 Gripen. I was living in a two story building, in Linköping of all places, around 1995 and one morning I heard what could be a jet fighter engine. So I ran into the kitchen, looked up and outside the window, it was rather random. The next second a Gripen passed directly overhead, I could basically see inside the engine outlet as it flew by. Strange timing but really cool! At this time the 39 was new and it flew regularly at the SAAB airfield, so I got to see it fly a few more times, which was cool.

Another cool thing I witnessed was on a summer vacation trip. We were driving with our car and caravan in the southern parts of Sweden, driving through a small village. Suddenly, there was a roar like thunder as a Viggen passed over us. The roaring continued, so we pulled over and went outside to have a look. There was now four Viggens in a dogfight, right over us! What!? That just doesn't happen! The manoeuvring continued for at least five minutes until they left the area. We got back in the car and continued on our way. I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed, so cool! I kept looking outside the car window as we drove away, looking to the sky, maybe there was more action to come....but that was it.

These are just a few of my memories of the Viggen and it may be the reason for it being my favourite fighter jet of all time 🙂

• Like 4

Hey widen76! Thanks for sharing your stories!

I always think of the high risk the guys were exposed when flying low ... birds, model planes, etc ...
My experiences with the Viggen were far less specatucular, but nonetheless impressive. I visited litterally every Airpower event in Austria, so starting with - I guess - 2000, I saw many displays. My favourites were from 2000 (https://youtu.be/V2IMdFkK3O0?t=826) and 2003 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIg7C2EWS8k), they flew a bit more aggressive than the historic versions of today. Nevertheless, the Viggen - for me - is still the most impressive aircraft of all times.

I hope HB finds some more time to take care about their module ...

• Like 2

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

11 hours ago, TOViper said:

they flew a bit more aggressive than the historic versions of today.

For a long time Swedish Air Force Historic Flight's main display pilot for the Viggen has been Stellan Andersson, who I believe is over 70 years old this year. I'd say both he and Gustav 52 are pretty spry for their age 🙂

Edited by renhanxue
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 12:50 PM, TOViper said:

Hey widen76! Thanks for sharing your stories!

I always think of the high risk the guys were exposed when flying low ... birds, model planes, etc ...
My experiences with the Viggen were far less specatucular, but nonetheless impressive. I visited litterally every Airpower event in Austria, so starting with - I guess - 2000, I saw many displays. My favourites were from 2000 (https://youtu.be/V2IMdFkK3O0?t=826) and 2003 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIg7C2EWS8k), they flew a bit more aggressive than the historic versions of today. Nevertheless, the Viggen - for me - is still the most impressive aircraft of all times.

I hope HB finds some more time to take care about their module ...

So cool that you were at the Airpower events in Austria, especially in 2003, that is a legendary airshow! Are they still doing those?

Well, I've had enough of a break and have now started converting the ATIS 37 document 🤪 

So let the madness begin once again....this time there is "only" 230 pages, but with many pages of graphics that I will draw in Microsoft Publisher...

Here is the first work-in-progress (just text, no Publisher images done yet):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zb2Y1nzj0l7eOLsfTFJhKwzqvZFUxWez/view?usp=sharing

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TOViper said:

YOU ARE CRAZY.

But I love you man!

Ha ha ha! Thank you! Yes, I have come to realise that there are levels of crazy and we're moving on up there quite quickly 🤪 😀

EDIT: Nevermind, I chose the A4 format but with wider margins, seems to be a reasonable size.

Quick question: Does anybody know what paper format was used for the inserts for the two leg pockets on the Viggen pilot suit? Looking in the ATIS37 document, the flight manoeuvre charts does not seem to be in full A4 format, rather looks like A5 format. But comparing to real images of pilots, the charts looks abit larger that A5, more like A4 sheets that have been folded to fit in the pockets. I'm looking at pictures such as:

https://sffsto.se/Vaelkommen-till-foeredrag-av-Leif-Aastroem-35-aar-i-Flygvapnet-varav-25-aar-med-Viggen.htm

https://twitter.com/PennanSvardet/status/932687440757903366/photo/1

https://swafhf.com/organisation/

Viggen display pilot Stellan Andersson

Edited by widen76