Engine Surging in flight, sounds horrible on take-off, engine surges yanking the Jug's nose all around.

Ts & Ps in the green, (warmed up, pressures in range).  Supercharger lever locked to the throttle mapped to only one axis, which is my calibrated HOTAS, and no keyboard keys.  On takeoff, it's popping and surging like it's about to quit, raspy sounding, like a Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engine that's burning oil and too lean on the pilot jet.  So then I make sure my cowl flaps are closed.  And the canopy.  Because it sounds horrible.

After that, the engine continually goes VRRRROOOm vruuughm VRRRRROOOm vruuughm ....

and with every surge, the aircraft yaws back and forth, the nose pitch switches, and it's terrible to fly.  This is a change I noticed from about three updates ago.

The Jug has become a bug to fly for me,  It's like trying to ride a crotchety cockroach.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can you provide track ??

Check if you locked primer, thins one can induce engine surging.

I can tell that on my side Jug is a joy to fly i just did high alt flight 230nm.

So there is something that you missing out then.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Ah!  I did ensure I locked the primer this time.  It flew much smoother, but it still did sound the same after takeoff.  With the canopy open during the landing pattern, the WASP radial sounded like an ailing VW Bug...

Gah!

I'm going to have to upload the .trk to my OneDrive, and post the link here.  It's too big, and I don't know how to truncate it!

DCS-Troubleshooting Folder

It's in the folder linked above

• 2 weeks later...

Can you elaborate on surging engine, what actually is happening beside weird sounds ?

Before take off while doing engine test, any anomalies ??

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

4 hours ago, grafspee said:

Can you elaborate on surging engine, what actually is happening beside weird sounds ?

Before take off while doing engine test, any anomalies ??

Engine RPM rises and falls constantly.

No issues during warmup but as soon as I introduced the power for takeoff my engine RPM consistently fluctuated and surged.

It's happended to me twice since owning the P-47 from release but I still haven't figured out why it happened.

5 minutes ago, _Spad_ said:

Engine RPM rises and falls constantly.

No issues during warmup but as soon as I introduced the power for takeoff my engine RPM consistently fluctuated and surged.

It's happended to me twice since owning the P-47 from release but I still haven't figured out why it happened.

Send a track and we may be able to help you. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, grafspee said:

For me it looks like not locked primer.

When climbing, i.e. speed is lower than 190..200 mph the engine RPM goes down frequently by around 50 RPM for a short moment. This causes considerable torque and the plane is yawing/rolling due to that. Tried with a locked primer and this behaviour was gone.