MiG-21 radar/gyro gunsight solution incorrect

some1

It is not possible to hit a target using the radar/gyro sight, even a non evading one. All bullets fly behind the target.

I set up a mission with AI set to a constant, level, 3g turn. I followed the target with a stable tracking solution, zeroed closure rate, textbook conditions, yet despite that all bullets miss. 

Screen_210409_230451.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-10 100353.jpg

Then I tried with gyro sight at fixed range (300m), but again, the lead given by the sight is inadequate. I managed to score a hit only at point blank range, when the target got so big, that the bullets hit the engines while I was aiming for the cockpit. 

Track attached.

Screen_210409_230531.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-10 100420.jpg

21.trk

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I will look into that. Thank you for reporting!

• Like 5

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Right, apologies for late reply. I did some tests over the week but had no time to give this more attention. I got somewhat confirmation of this but I think this is due to different reasons. 

From my observation it appears that below 2 G gyro calculates lead properly. But above 2 G small error gets in and shots fell short. Not much, just a little. According to ASP manual gunsight in Gyro mode should provide accurate results up to 3.5 G, so it is likely that information on acceleration are not fed properly. Might be underestimated a bit. I will forward that to the devs.

As for radar. You see, the problem is that Su-27 despite being huge aircraft for a fighter, is not particularly large for a bomber. It's diameter and combination of range at which you were shooting (~560 m) means that piper ring was at minimum diameter. Diameter would start increasing as you close to Su-27 but there comes another problem, 500 m is minimum range for radar to maintain tracking. It frequently looses track around that range. 

So I would try with a larger aircraft and likely wait for the first part to be fixed, before repeating tests 🙂 

Firing5(greaterturnerrorradar).trk Firing4(greaterturnerror).trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Thanks for the explanation 🙂

Yes, valid point that Su-27 is a bit short for a bomber. On the other hand, the amount of error currently introduced is significant and even against a bigger target will result in a miss. Pictures from Tacview are a bit misleading as the objects in this program are scaled up for visibility. Bullets in the simulator pass several aircraft lengths behind.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It doesn't matter in radar cue gun shot what is target wingspan. Pipper dot is placed according to radar range. In 300m fixed range mode target is assumed at 300m again ring has nothing to do with it. Only big assumption is that target is pulling same G as MiG. I don't know if MiG assumes co-speed or not in situation that radar is locked. Theoretically radar could modify for closing or opening speed difference.