Ball call clarifications

captain_dalan

Hey lads, i never really payed too much attention to the LSO grading as i didn't consider myself to be that good at trapping before.
However, a couple of weekends ago i started working on my CASE I's, and i can't seam to get the aspects of the ball calls quite right. We are supposed to call it wings level, behind the boat, 3/4 to 1 NM from the deck, as soon as we spot it right?

But, what if we bank afterwards? Is the ball call nullified? Or what if we we sink/float bellow/above the glide path? Do we lose the ball call then? Does it have to made again? Can it be made again? Do the wings need to be completely level when we make the call? Does the comm menu need to be open? I have the ball call command assigned to a button BTW.

For some reason, i often get the (BC) in the grade, as if i hadn't made the call at all. Could it be a matter of comms procedure? Am i omitting some step? I usually go:
1. Request inbound, wait for the pilot to acknowledge bearing and instructions;
2. See you at 10 within 10NM;
3. Wait for report to tower and tower to declare Charlie as automated steps;
4. Leave the holding pattern and go behind the boat 3-5NM
5. Start the upwind-downwind approach
6. finale break and enter the groove
7. call the ball and fly the ball

Thanks in advance for tall the hints and corrections. Mastering this is a real joy! Happy flying and a lovely weekend everyone!

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 hours ago, Pieterras said:

It’s as simple as, when you see the ball you call the ball. You don’t have to be wings level and definitely don’t call it twice. 

Hmmm...... i must be doing something wrong then, as from time to time, i do get the (BC) notification in the grade 🤔

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Ah, thanks guys! I thought i was doing something wrong!

Try call the ball at 0.7 nm. Not before or you get [BC].

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, fagulha said:

Try call the ball at 0.7 nm. Not before or you get [BC].

I just can't tell. I've called the ball anywhere from 1.0 to 0.5 NM and get the [BC] regardless of distance. But if it's bugged......

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

I just can't tell. I've called the ball anywhere from 1.0 to 0.5 NM and get the [BC] regardless of distance. But if it's bugged......

Did you set your TACAN? it gives you the distance to the carrier. It helps me a lot, so, i know when i´m at 0.7nm and call the ball. But in your case can be bugged. Sorry i can´t help you more.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

17 hours ago, fagulha said:

Did you set your TACAN? it gives you the distance to the carrier. It helps me a lot, so, i know when i´m at 0.7nm and call the ball. But in your case can be bugged. Sorry i can´t help you more.

Yep, it's set. That's ok mate, much appreciated!

Edited by captain_dalan
  • Like 1