ME inconsistent menu logic - leading to overwriting missions permanently

Meyomyx

It's as simple as this - when you start DCS and go to the Mission Editor, you have the option to open an existing mission or create a new one. This is the correct behaviour.

Open an existing mission, fly it or edit it and return to the main DCS menu page. Now when you open the ME you are presented (illogically)with an "EMPTY" version of the map you were just using. That's not consistent with the behaviour detailed above.

Now here's the really dangerous bit. That "EMPTY" map has the filename that you were just flying. So if, for whatever reason, you inadvertently save this "EMPTY" map, it permanently overwrites that mission with an empty map. You can't recover it.

I've lost two missions in the last couple of months - days of work - because of this.

Whenever you go back to the ME, it should give you the option to open or create new, NOT present you with a blank map that has the default filename of the mission you were just working with.

Very frustrating.

Edited by Meyomyx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Meyomyx said:

I've lost two missions in the last couple of months - days of work - because of this.

It happened to me too .. to prevent this, I moved the Missions folder onto Cloud Storage, so that I can have versioning ... it helps a lot to recover from all sort of user errors & other disasters 🙂

XUfS8he.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB