Possible to fly the Tomcat as pilot without switching cockpits?

Cornflex

Before starting to learn the Tomcat I just wanted to know if it is possible to fly the F-14 as a pilot without having to switch to the RIO seat? Is the JESTER ai smart enough to handle all the RIO stuff?

Thanks in advance.

i9 13900K, Asus ROG Z690-E Wifi, 32GB DDR5 6400RAM, Asus RTX 4090 TUF, TM Warthog with F-16 Stick, Trackir 5, Windows 11

It's possible, at least depending on the context. I recently finished the Earnest Will campaign without having to. I did for convenience to switch some items that you can also use the menu for, like waypoints, but I'm not versed enough in the radar to do a better job than Jester does.

Not sure about how he'd do in a multiplayer environment. That's not my forte.

• Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

I play in SP exclusively and I never switch seats. You just have to know Jester's limitations so you can work together, not against each other, and not expect things he cannot do. What he currently does not do is active radar work (search) and LANTIRN operation (not yet). But he's definitely combat ready for both A2A and A2G.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thank you for your suggestions, guys.

I started to fiddle around a bit with the Tomcat and and my biggest problem with Jester seems to be locking up targets. Even when I see them already on his radar he doesn't seem to care. Manually locking up seems to be the only way for me.

I choose the Phoenix and have them warmed up. A-A mode is selected and weapons are armed but he doesn't lock the bandits. I tell him to TWS but nothing.

Any tips? *sigh*

Thanks in advance.

i9 13900K, Asus ROG Z690-E Wifi, 32GB DDR5 6400RAM, Asus RTX 4090 TUF, TM Warthog with F-16 Stick, Trackir 5, Windows 11

Make sure these are actual radar contacts (^) not datalink ones (v). In TWS they don't get locked - they will just have assigned priority numbers on the right.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I have a switch on my HOTAS to switch TWS/RWS ... search in RWS, get the bandits centered in the screen at roughly co-alt, then switch to TWS. The WCS should assign them priority numbers automatically, Jester should IFF them automatically - now shoot and keep the bandit in the TWS scan cone ... crank up to about 50 degress to reduce closure. Works in SP and MP 🙂 No need to hop into the back.

Jester is pretty good within his limitations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kula66 said:

I have a switch on my HOTAS to switch TWS/RWS ... search in RWS, get the bandits centered in the screen at roughly co-alt, then switch to TWS. The WCS should assign them priority numbers automatically, Jester should IFF them automatically - now shoot and keep the bandit in the TWS scan cone ... crank up to about 50 degress to reduce closure. Works in SP and MP 🙂 No need to hop into the back.

Jester is pretty good within his limitations.

Thanks for the tip with the keys for TWS and RWS, helps a lot. 👍

Obviously flying from the front seat only can also be achieved with a human RIO in the back :wink:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg