Problems with AA missiles on F18 ?

Shuenix
Go to solution Solved by Shuenix,

Hi

The other day I flew together with a guy online. It was one of the popular servers in EU. I was in the F18 for some bombing. My wingman said he would do CAP and the he further said "then I will take the F16, cause the missilis are broken on the F18". I did not question it, I was busy.

I haven't done much A2A in F18, but I think it's about time to do some A2A training. Now I wonder, is there any issuses with F18 and A2A? In case it's true, it would be nice to know, when training.

See you

There are no "broken" missiles on the Hornet. Some people report having issues with the radar, as seen here, e.g., but I can't reproduce that, the A2A-environment works absolutely fine for me.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

That isn't really "broken" either.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

6 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

There are no "broken" missiles on the Hornet. Some people report having issues with the radar, as seen here, e.g., but I can't reproduce that, the A2A-environment works absolutely fine for me.

yeah no, the AIM-120 is effectively broken for the Hornet. Doesn't go active if it loses lock before pitbull and extremely susceptible to chaff atm.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:37 AM, Shimmergloom667 said:

That isn't really "broken" either.

If you think the AA radar is functioning correctly, can you explain what pilots need to do differently now than just a few months ago to be effective in BVR? When I go up in a very basic, head to head, nose-hot BVR engagement with bandits that should have objectively worse AA radars than the Hornet, I am routinely failing to even see the bandit on my scope before I get an incoming launch warning on my RWR. I am 100% sure that my antenna is correctly elevated and looking right at the bandit. PRF is set to Intl. 

If others don't see an issue with the radar, that must mean I am making some kind of an error, so I would sure love to figure out what it is. 

• Like 1

I used the F-18 quite extensively for BVR training yesterday. Zero issues whatsoever (that i noticed anyway). Its honestly the best its worked in ages in terms of bugs (TWS-A fixed, etc). You simply need to get used to the new realistic detection ranges; people (including myself at one point) got way too accustomed to the old F-18 radar that saw targets nearly twice as far as it should. Now when the maximum you'll see someone is 45-50nm assuming their nose hot (that could be sub 40 if they are cranking), it does change the dynamics quite a bit. Yes, you may be fired on before you can see the guy. Yes, thats why heavyweight fighters exist IRL.

My bet though is that you arent adjusting elevation correctly @Tree_Beard. Could you post a video?

On 4/14/2021 at 3:25 AM, Shuenix said:

is there any issuses with F18 and A2A?

No, there are no hornet specific, game breaking issues in A2A. The issues known are general AMRAAM issues for all AMRAAM carriers.

• Like 3

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The radar works fine for me as well. The detection range is reduced, but it was brought down to realistic levels. The problem with MP is that not all radars are adjusted accordingly, with the biggest offender being the Viper, which has very unrealistic detection ranges.

TBH, such things should be handled at a central level and simultaneously for all modules, to ensure that all radars are operating under the same principles and limitations. Even better, ED should just have a general radar code, where they plug radars in, with everything controlled by parameters specific to the radar itself. Unfortunately, that'd mean that third-party devs couldn't implement their own radar code, but if that system is done well, maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps third-party devs could work with ED and introduce improvements to the code as well.

And to go slightly OT here, the above logic could and should be applied to most things in DCS, because all aircraft, sensors etc should be subject to the exact same physical principles and limitations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

32 minutes ago, Harker said:

The radar works fine for me as well. The detection range is reduced, but it was brought down to realistic levels. The problem with MP is that not all radars are adjusted accordingly, with the biggest offender being the Viper, which has very unrealistic detection ranges.

Good to hear... and yes, the problem really is that the other jets haven't been brought down to the realistic levels.... hope they will soon: Especially for those Eagle Drivers out there. 😉

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• Solution
4 hours ago, Harker said:

That makes sense. That's why my wingman preferred the F16.

Thnx

20 hours ago, Harker said:

TBH, such things should be handled at a central level and simultaneously for all modules, to ensure that all radars are operating under the same principles and limitations. Even better, ED should just have a general radar code, where they plug radars in, with everything controlled by parameters specific to the radar itself. Unfortunately, that'd mean that third-party devs couldn't implement their own radar code, but if that system is done well, maybe it wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps third-party devs could work with ED and introduce improvements to the code as well.

+1 👍

• 2 weeks later...

About the radar, quoted from official manual:

PRF. Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF) selection between Medium (MED), High (HI), and INTL (Interleaved). Medium PRF minimizes “blind zones” reduces false targets, better all-aspect detection, but has less detection range. High PRF has greater range but has inferior low to medium aspect detection. Interleaved alternates Medium and High bar coverage.

---

I'm new to F/A-18, coming from Su-27, there in the manual is specified that HIGH is more suitable to used for hot, while MED for cold targets. Is this also the case here?

Just now, mitja_bonca said:

About the radar, quoted from official manual:

PRF. Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF) selection between Medium (MED), High (HI), and INTL (Interleaved). Medium PRF minimizes “blind zones” reduces false targets, better all-aspect detection, but has less detection range. High PRF has greater range but has inferior low to medium aspect detection. Interleaved alternates Medium and High bar coverage.

---

I'm new to F/A-18, coming from Su-27, there in the manual is specified that HIGH is more suitable to used for hot, while MED for cold targets. Is this also the case here?

yes

• Like 2

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg