VR Mask in 2.7

Mover

what is a VR mask?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

1 hour ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

what is a VR mask?

Black outline around the mirrored image from the VR headset (on the desktop).  It used to just be a rectangle in the center of the screen, now there's a black mask.

• Thanks 1

This one. The problem is that I need those black pixels to be rendered propertly in OBS. With that mask I have to move the capture area more to a side, so in recordings/streamings appears all in a full side and less pixel density. I also am trying to find where to remove the mask. There are new options in the VR area, but none of them fix the issue (feature). Even we could use the new render mirror in DCS resolution, but it deforms the image.

NewVRMask.jpg

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great! I removed the mask!! :)))

You have to edit the HMDMask.fx  that is in the bazar/shader folder and modify the line:

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
    return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

to

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
    return float4(pos, 0.1, 0.1);
}

and save.

it seems to pass IC (has to make more testings here)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Yes this works. I am also having an issue where some of the image in the headset at the bottom of the G2 is being cutoff and there is a pale blue background that is showing throw the sliver of uncovered area

• Like 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• ED Team

the VR mask does help with FPS, but it will depend a lot on your headset and how many pixels the resolution is pushing, higher res headsets will see higher fps when using the mask.

we are discussing the mask internally as some streamers are not keen on it. 

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks @BIGNEWY for the answer, Maybe an idea to make an option to switch between the mask and the normal screen in the future? so we can select in the options if we want to have the mask or not?

it will be a really nice outcome for us.

• Like 3

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

Also would be nice to fix the distortion in the render to DCS resolution option. That way I can use my 1920x1080 resolution instead of changing to 3840x2160 one to capture the full pixel density in the area it is given to us in the correct aspect ratio default mirror view.

0b4444cad554faa127e2fa3fb33b6e69.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

the VR mask does help with FPS, but it will depend a lot on your headset and how many pixels the resolution is pushing, higher res headsets will see higher fps when using the mask.

thanks

Mask does not bother me on this end and anything that helps performance is welcome for me.. I can certainly understand the streamers not liking it though.

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

vor 1 Stunde schrieb BIGNEWY:

thanks

I am very pleased that the mask is now implemented without any extra mods! Great work!

• Like 2

Diferent view. I am not pleased. It affect the OBS recording, and that is the reason I look for how to remove it. Of course I am glad they develope it, but they should include an option to activate/deactivate it if the user want to.

34 minutes ago, ECV56_Luberenko said:

Just reporting, I´m not seeing any mask, but wish to enable it. Any clues?

LOL. Me too. I'm like - where is this mask? I don't seem to have it, but from the posts above it seems as though it's on by default and there's no way of turning it off - yet I don't have the same square 'mask' that screenshots are showing above. I figure I'm just missing something and it is on - otherwise if there was an 'on/off' option it would have already been mentioned.

I don´t see it either.

Maybe because I have set the resolution in DCS to 1280x768 while my Oculus Quest is set to 4128x2096.

I have also set my oculus Quest to FOV to 0.70x0.75. Changing tis to 0x0 (1.00x1.00) does not make the Mask appear.

Nevertheless my performance with 2.7.0 is about the same as in 2.5.6 with the shader mod (Kegetys), so I´m not worried about the missing appearance of the Mask.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:56 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

I'm fine with anything that pushes more frames and doesn't impact the view through the headset.

If streamers want an option to disable it, they should have it but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater please.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

I'm fine with anything that pushes more frames and doesn't impact the view through the headset.

If streamers want an option to disable it, they should have it but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater please.

Fully agree.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

I agree also, the mask needs to stay, but the option is something we are considering 

• Like 8

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Just now, ECV56_Luberenko said:

@BIGNEWYAny clues on mask not working for everyone by default?

I run a Rift S through SteamVR.

Great update by the way, really big step forward!!

Thanks

if you are on open beta it should work, if not remove all unofficial mods and do a cleanup and repair or verify if steam 

thanks