2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

59 minutes ago, Toastman said:

Yes , exactly what I experience , I can play a few missions then when changing theater / map it stalls and I have to CTRL ALT DEL back to the Desktop .... DCS not responding in task manager , forcing a hard reset !!

Usually happens in the F14A caucasus dogfight mission load !

The Caucasus map does seam to be most prone to these crashes yes, but i'm not sure if it's the map itself, or just that most servers are using it....

12 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

In a way, I'm not surprised at this. My crashes come about 24-36 hours after I have deleted FXO and the folder in TEMP...and closed and restarted the sim at least once. I'm currently leaving it running and, so far, no crashes for the last 48 hours. Wondering if can last the weekend.

For me deleting the DCS folder inside TEMP seams to be enough, though instead of running DCS without stopping, wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the folder each time before running it?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Can it be one of the triggers that causes the crashes?

изображение.png

Just noted that in case DCS does not crash for the second mission run, then this running instance does not crash for any following runs.

Specs:

изображение.png

Edited by leon737

18 hours ago, Ironhand said:

Hopefully it’ll still being working for you 24 hours from now. Others haven’t had long term luck with that.

Well, I got the crashes until I executed the whole process again. (Enabled fullscreen optimization on both DCS.exe DCS_updater.exe applied and then disabled again. Then enabled fullscreen in DCS options, applied and disabled again.)

So far so good.

57 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

...though instead of running DCS without stopping, wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the folder each time before running it?

That’s what i’ve been doing. In fact, created a batch file to do it for me and save time. Just experimenting to see what happens. If the crashes stop, that would seem to suggest that the sim is holding something over (that we’re not deleting) that’s conflicting with the new start. Haven’t a clue what it might be but...

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 minutes ago, Sean Archer said:

Well, I got the crashes until I executed the whole process again. (Enabled fullscreen optimization on both DCS.exe DCS_updater.exe applied and then disabled again. Then enabled fullscreen in DCS options, applied and disabled again.)

So far so good.

I’ve been running only in full screen, since I realized awhile ago that every “fix” seems to be only temporary anyway. The root cause lies elsewhere, I think, and whatever we do only eases the pressure on the system (so to speak).

• Like 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 minute ago, Ironhand said:

I’ve been running only in full screen, since I realized awhile ago that every “fix” seems to be only temporary anyway. The root cause lies elsewhere, I think, and whatever we do only eases the pressure on the system (so to speak).

It seems like whatever causing the problem, comes back after a pc shutdown for me. I was getting 2nd mission load crash constantly. Yesterday I tried Taz1004's method and for whole day I did not get a single crash until I turned on my pc today. I will stick to the method as far as it keeps me away from crash. Though you are right, the root cause lies elsewhere else.

Guys , I just tried disabling Game Mode in Win10 and I have had no crashes after running different missions , Quick start F18C case 1 in the Gulf , Conventional bombing in Nevada ,Strike Fighter in the Gulf , Banklers Landing Practice 7.0, followed by F14A dogfight in Caucasus all with no problem . ( Vsync off , Fullscreen enabled , as always )

3 minutes ago, Toastman said:

just tried disabling Game Mode in Win10 and I have had no crashes after running different missions

I’ll have to doublecheck when I get home tonight but I believe i’ve had game mode turned off for the last year or so.

• Like 1

_____

43 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

3 days with no crash so far.  This type of crash is usually (but not always) related to running out of some type of resources whether it be system RAM, VRAM, or swap file or whatever.  Of course the best thing to do is to fix the leak.  But you can alleviate it (not fix it) by reducing the amount of resources it'll be running out of.  It may be that I optimized textures.  It may be that I launch the game with batch executable that shuts off all unnecessary process (tons of Adobe crap).  I can reproduce the crash reliably by enabling fullscreen but there might be more than one type of bug at play.

Edited by Taz1004

22 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

..,This type of crash is usually (but not always) related to running out of some type of resources whether it be system RAM, VRAM, or swap file or whatever...

If that’s the case with this “bug”, then I would think that never closing the sim or restarting the computer should make it happen sooner rather than later. So far, I’ve had my longest run without the crash by not closing DCS.

_____

6 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

If that’s the case with this “bug”, then I would think that never closing the sim or restarting the computer should make it happen sooner rather than later. So far, I’ve had my longest run without the crash by not closing DCS.

Hence "but there might be more than one type of bug at play."

On 5/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, zampe said:

Finally!!!!!!

After installing Windows 10 20H2 KB5001391 Cumulative Update Preview (april 2021), crash problems after the 2nd launch of the mission magically disappeared....

Unbelievable but true!!! I've been playing for two days and since haven't had a single crash problem 😀

No second mission load crashes for me anymore since I installed the newest Nvidia display driver and this windows update.

Wish I could say the same!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

52 minutes ago, imacken said:

Wish I could say the same!

Yes same here...

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

2 hours ago, Toastman said:

Guys , I just tried disabling Game Mode in Win10 and I have had no crashes after running different missions , Quick start F18C case 1 in the Gulf , Conventional bombing in Nevada ,Strike Fighter in the Gulf , Banklers Landing Practice 7.0, followed by F14A dogfight in Caucasus all with no problem . ( Vsync off , Fullscreen enabled , as always )

No game mode......ever.....still crashes 😕

1 hour ago, Migo said:

No second mission load crashes for me anymore since I installed the newest Nvidia display driver and this windows update.

Both installed in the last few days, crashes as usual.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I forgot to add this solution in my summary the other day. You all may want to check this:

On 4/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, Rmnsvn said:

Hi all,

I used to have the same problem and solved it the following way:

I did not have full screen enabled in settings but I did have “full screen optimisations disable” in the compatibility options for DCS. Removing it solved the crash issue completely. 

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

33 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I forgot to add this solution in my summary the other day. You all may want to check this:

tried to figure out where to find full screen optimizations disable. but under settings, I have no clue

Howdy folks,

Someone on the ED Facebook group mentioned a "Band-Aid" solution to the 2nd load crash that seems to be working for me, at least for the moment. 

After you finish the first mission, instead of clicking "Fly Again", exit all the way out to the main game menu, then click the "Options" tab where all of your settings can be found. Don't change any settings, but simply click the green "Okay" button. Then go back and fly the mission you want. Do this between each mission you fly. So far, going into options and clicking "Okay" between flights has stopped the crashes. 

It's super annoying to have to do this, and it's obviously not an actual solution, but it's better than crashing to the desktop. Let me know if this alleviates the problem for anyone else. 

Best,

JN

Edited by jfnelson0127
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Hi Flappie, my crashes are back. Every second mission load DCS consistently crashes. So it doesn’t “completely” resolve it. I’ll try deleting DCS folder again and see if it helps. Deleting  FXO and metashaders doesn’t do a thing. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Flappie said:

So basically, uncheck "disable fullscreen optimizations" in compatibility, and leave fullscreen disabled in the in-game settings. Am I understanding that correctly? 

Yes, these are two workarounds that did work, for some time, for some people, at least for Rmnsvn . But he just came in to warn us he's having the crash bug again...

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, jfnelson0127 said:

Howdy folks,

Someone on the ED Facebook group mentioned a "Band-Aid" solution to the 2nd load crash that seems to be working for me, at least for the moment. 

After you finish the first mission, instead of clicking "Fly Again", exit all the way out to the main game menu, then click the "Options" tab where all of your settings can be found. Don't change any settings, but simply click the green "Okay" button. Then go back and fly the mission you want. Do this between each mission you fly. So far, going into options and clicking "Okay" between flights has stopped the crashes. 

It's super annoying to have to do this, and it's obviously not an actual solution, but it's better than crashing to the desktop. Let me know if this alleviates the problem for anyone else. 

Best,

JN

Will try it in SP tomorrow. It's late now. Hopefully it works. Still, not a solution for MP, especially not fast paced like dogfighting servers and these seam to be hit the hardest 😕

18 hours ago, Flappie said:

Your first log shows the second mission loading crash (CleanScenes -> FreeeUnusedResouces->crash). You also have the Lua crashdump some users are having with it.

Your second log shows a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crash during a mission. It happened as your PC was trying to compile a shader. Try deleting your current NVIDIA driver (457.30) using DDU, then install the latest version (466.27).

Hi Flappie,

Thank you very VERY much for the help!  Greatly appreciated!  Updated the drivers this morning to 466.27 using DDU and all is well.  I spent the better part of today flying, and was in and out of the Mission Editor a whole lot.  No crashes at all... not one!

I had always kept up with the latest NVIDIA Drivers... that is, until Microsoft Flight Sim came along🙂   In trying to sort out performance issues, I found that some users swore by 457.30, so I held-up at that version.   This PC is really for MSFS and DCS, but I hadn't loaded up DCS in 8 or 9 months while I was heavy into the "new Sim on the block".  But then, I heard the buzz about the release of 2.7, updated, and haven't played anything else since.      

Out of curiosity, is there any info around on interpreting the DCS log files?  I'm fascinated by it, but don't know where to start.

Thank you again for checking out the log files for me!!

Michael

Edited by Mike77
Typo

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.