DCS 2.7 VR performance

Charly314159

I have no doubt there will be optimizations , this is what the Beta is for. But I am a little concerned. in stable release I have really worked on VR settings where I have got it to a decent FPS/Graphical fidelity. The problem is with the lower FPS'es in VR there isn't much wiggle room. I do not want to reduce any in game settings and I can only afford to lose a few FPS ( I would rather lose none and see a performance increase through general behind the scenes optimizations)

With the current hardware shortages, upgrading may not be possible for over another year or so (even though I think my system is still pretty good). There will be users with even less wiggle room then me and even those that managed to bag the latest hardware , having to reduce settings will be just as much of a bummer for them as even with top tier hardware i.e 3080's you are not getting any major boost in performance. 

I do have faith in ED but they must understand that getting the game to run well in VR is hard work and for most any performance hit may well be a show stopper. 

Edited by Clogger

2 hours ago, Clogger said:

I do have faith in ED but they must understand that getting the game to run well in VR is hard work and for most any performance hit may well be a show stopper. 

For that they would first need to acknowledge the issue. Look at the second post, that's their typical answer...

• Like 1

I’m another that had performance drop significantly. I had just recently got my frametimes in the very low teens and today’s update has pushed those into the high 30s, and mid to low FPS as well. I’m going to wipe the config, gpu driver, and retest this coming weekend. 

2080ti

32gb

G2

• Like 2

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

8 minutes ago, Aries said:

Noticably better performance in VR here...
4790K@4.5GHz, 32GB DDR3, Quest 2 (at highest in Oculus Link 1.5 setting), 2080Ti

Can you please post your settings in DCS and Nvidia CP? What version of the Quest PC Software and Quest Software are you using. 

Would be nice to see what works for you. 

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

8 minutes ago, Max Thunder said:

Can you please post your settings in DCS and Nvidia CP? What version of the Quest PC Software and Quest Software are you using. 

Would be nice to see what works for you. 

I think he is just one of the lucky guys not sensitive to stutter. No way he is not getting any with that cpu.

I am also having a major stutter increases and higher timframes when looking at the therrain ,

Mt specs :

HP REVERB G2 : motion smoontness on

9900K@5.2 GHZ

3090 asus strix OC

2 NVME ( 1 dedicated for OS and 1 for DCS only)

nvidia drivers : lates available

Before 2.7 with the latest nvidia driers and my settings IT was all butter smooth , with  2.7 now  my timeframe in fpsVR shows an average of 20-22ms which is causing a lot of stutters expacially when looking down on the ground from the plane .

I cannot attached a dc.log as I am in the office.

• Like 1

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

My fps are relatively stable but I have a lot of stuttering when I'm above the clouds. I also have an image shake effect when I look at the clouds on the horizon

INTEL Core i7-10700K 3.8Ghz - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GAMING X TRIO 8G - CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED DDR4 - 3200 Mhz 4x8go - Be Quiet ! 850W - Hotas Warthog - Fox Spirit PGM 340 - Oculus rift S

Depending on which preset I choose for the clouds I get either 7fps or 20 FPS. Either way it’s a bit of a loss for me also 😞 . Hopefully there will be a fix/optimisation settings we can follow to try tweak to the best we can.

tried playing with my settings but not too much changes.. 

i7 8700k 3.2GHz, 1080Ti, 32GB ram.

Matt Jensen

i7 8700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10, 1TB SSD, Saitek X-55 Rhino, Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 Pro Clip

Hello, 

I have also experienced quite substantial performance loss in VR (9900k, 2080ti, HP Reverb G2).

I managed to trace it down to a possible issue with FPS capping/locking.

Example 1: motion reprojection set on auto in WMR settings for SteamVR (default.vrsettings file)

- MiG 29, Instant Action Cold Start in Nevada: flips between 90 and 45 fps - so ALL OK

- Su 27, Instant Action Bomber Intercept in Caucasus: fps locked at 60 - causing unplayable judders

Example 2: motion reprojection forced to always on ("motionReprojectionMode": "motionvector") thus forcing DCS to run at 45 fps and letting motion reprojection do its magic

- ALL OK in both scenarios above

I checked also for L 39 with the same resultd as for the Su 27.

Maybe worth checking this in your WMR related settings and perhaps something for ED to look at?

Thanks!

Edited by apollon01

vor 1 Stunde schrieb apollon01:

Hello, 

I have also experienced quite substantial performance loss in VR (9900k, 2080ti, HP Reverb G2).

I managed to trace it down to a possible issue with FPS capping/locking.

Example 1: motion reprojection set on auto in WMR settings for SteamVR (default.vrsettings file)

- MiG 29, Instant Action Cold Start in Nevada: flips between 90 and 45 fps - so ALL OK

- Su 27, Instant Action Bomber Intercept in Caucasus: fps locked at 60 - causing unplayable judders

Example 2: motion reprojection forced to always on ("motionReprojectionMode": "motionvector") thus forcing DCS to run at 45 fps and letting motion reprojection do its magic

- ALL OK in both scenarios above

I checked also for L 39 with the same resultd as for the Su 27.

Maybe worth checking this in your WMR related settings and perhaps something for ED to look at?

Thanks!

Where exactly did you change it? 

44 minutes ago, rizo said:

Where exactly did you change it? 

I believe it's here. I wonder if this gets changed during SteamVR updates?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

As a VR user this update is disappointing in the visuals department to say the least.  I shan't say any more because its just too disheartening and others have already said it anyway.  Back once again to flying other flight sim titles for me and I shan't be purchasing any new aircraft for DCS for the time being.

Happy landings,

Talisman  

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Test conditions :

- Caucasus

- Only one aircraft 

- overcast preset

- settings as attached

- Ryzen 4600x @ 4.8GHz, 32gb @ 3700MHz, RTX2080ti @2.1GHz, DCS on a dedicated 1to 970 evo pro nvme SSD

- HP reverb G1

Everything was fluid on the last 2.5.6 versions (the first one were terrible...) using motion smoothing at 45fps.

I deleted the saved game folder and did a cleanup and full repair

With 2.7 I am seeing dips to low 30s with unacceptable stutter. 

I don't have the track as it was disabled to maximize perf. The flight was simple flying around Batumi. Looking down under over over the clouds causes a FPS dips and stutter.

@BIGNEWY I have given you all requested data I hope this will be analyzed and that it's not just something to get us to wait for months like last year .

Screen_210415_185155.png

dcs.log WeatherTest.miz

• Like 1

So, I had a lot of stuttering issues the first play through also, but I turned PD to 1.0 and increased Steam VR SS instead.  I have a Vive Pro, so my global SS is set to 50% which is the native Vive Pro resolution, and for Per Application->DCS World SS I increased to 200%, which should be close to PD of 1.5. All of the stuttering is gone and it runs very smoothly. I have all settings maxed out as well, though I noticed that there is no difference for the clouds between low and ultra, so the clouds must be stuck on low as a bug since they look way too smooth and almost no detail like in 2D.

Rig:

AMD 5950X

RTX 3090

G. Skill Trident Z 4000 mHzx4 (128GB)

M.2 980 Pro 1TBx2 (2 TB)

Asus ROG crosshair viii formula

HTC Vive Pro

Edited by kelmcguir
  • Like 1

I seem to be seeing increased CPU Frametimes by about 10% 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for the tip but 'appear' and 'smoother' doesn't help me much 🙂 
Just by turning the clouds on (few puffs, overcast, low quality high quality not matter) will cost me 30% performance loss . (In VR) . 

i7@ 5,2 ghz, 32GB Ram and RTX 3090 . 

I would just turn them off but they're server side (and the populated servers all want to play with new clouds) so now i'm kind of out of multiplayer right now unless i drastically low every other setting which i'm not willing to do. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

I was having dips to 30-35 fps with the 466.11 driver I am now pretty much locked at 45.

I think 466.11 it has some strange interraction with 2.7 as it was working fine with 2.5.6.

give it a try.

What I don't understand so far is why some people with radeon cars have suffer are suffering as well with 2.7.

for me the increased CPU frame times, seems to have been associate with the BIOS for Rebar, that being reverted seems to gave fixed it...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I haven't changed anything on my end. 
Just turning on clouds from "nothing" to "anything" is -30% perf .
This is in VR , haven't tested in 2d yet. 

I'm watching 104th_bullet stream, i think GS server must be down or something because the 104th is packed but not fairing well desync wise. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

9 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

for me the increased CPU frame times, seems to have been associate with the BIOS for Rebar, that being reverted seems to gave fixed it...

Nvidia 466 was rebar introduction I think, that might be linked even if my 2080ti doesn't support it