DCS 2.7 VR performance

Charly314159

I am getting stuttering now where as before I was not getting stuttering. I was getting a smooth 36fps but now in 2.7 I am getting a stuttering 36fps. Its annoying. And im not feeling the clouds right now.

Im running i9 10th gen, RTX 3080 and 32gb Ram. Its annoying.

3 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

I am getting stuttering now where as before I was not getting stuttering. I was getting a smooth 36fps but now in 2.7 I am getting a stuttering 36fps. Its annoying. And im not feeling the clouds right now.

Try that ReBAR thing. This is the only one of all tweaks I tried which brought me almost to 2.5.6. level. 

11700KF, 6900XT and 64 GB of 3600 MHz DDR4, and the game is unplayable due to microstuttering caused by broken reprojection on the Reverb G2 with the same graphics settings as on my previous rig (10600K and 2070S) on 2.5.6. With "unplayable" here I mean that my eyes literally hurt after a few minutes of playing and make me want to rip the HMD off my head.

I've spent five full evenings trying to find the correct settings to no avail.

RTX3090 on a native SteamVR HMD (Index) running fine here. I guess switching to OpenXR is the best next option for DCS's engine.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

16 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

Are you aware that ED is working on a Vulkan update (currently) due Q3 this year ?

ED are working on vulkan. Q3 is a target. if we're lucky we'll see it next year. best put the dust covers on my Hotas then ;-/

I've changed/trailed enough settings to get it reasonably smooth.

Things i've learned....

Clouds on standard, they dance around more on low and in VR higher setting doesn't look better but really cost you.

Don't turn of Hyperthreading like some say, makes it slightly worse (i have 10900k)

Legacy Reproduction mode in steam vr doesn't help.

In G2 turning down native resolution to 80% helps massively and doesn't effect picture noticeably enough to care..plus you can keep MSAA at x 4 with really helps get rid of shimmer/jaggies (highly recommended)

Turn shadows to medium, terrain shadows off (you get used to it almost immediately) terrain textures to low (you wont notice trust me).

Turn preload radius down to 4000 (it helps and you won't see a difference in game)

Turn wake turbulence off in gameplay section as it uses a lot of comp power to work out wake for all aircraft.

Don't use antialiasing as it just makes shit blurry and is labour intensive. (the MSAA setting works way better)

Keep textures and cockpit resolution high as why play DCS if the plane looks pants!?

Make sure you RAM has XMP profile (in bios or tuning app) on as you need all the speed you can get with RAM.

Set reprojection mode to forced on in steam vr as it switching on and off will make you sick and have extra judders.

OC your CPU a little if poss inc Cache a little.

Keep forest details to max as it makes trees do weird distracting shit if you dont.

Scenery details for me is 0.5 as it doesnt do distracting stuff at that level.

Forest visibility is VERY labour intensive so have as low as you can stand, mines at 80% (trees popping up outa no where is crap).

heat blur off (looks weird in VR)

no SSAA SSLR SSAO on.

no lens effects (pants in VR anyway)

Water to low, helps a lot plus helps stop jaggies with rivers and streams (unless when you dogfight you look for little wave tops like a tourist?!)

Civ traffic off.

Resolution in dcs system page to a low setting as this is just the resolution it displays in that little window on your desktop (remember this is for VR people only).

cockpit illumination off as its crap.

no vsync .

no rain droplets unless you really want it.

Pretty sure you may want to argue against a lot of this as there's things you think you can't live with out but hey ho.

Fire animations/smoke and anything running a script... like moving ground forces etc are gonna play a part that we can't avoid easily but this setup alowwed me to play steady on a MP sever on Channel map and Normandy map plus do carrier ops in an F14b and just about hold in there when things got hectic.

One last thing if you use a targetting pod of any kind thats looking at an area with smoke, fire, ground forces etc you will enter the "flick book" zone.

Edited by eUK Nibbler
  • Like 2

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/axbrdz/asw_mode_30_fps/

for anyone using OTT (oculus tray tool) this might be a workaround if 45FPS is not achievable with 2.7

(at least it softens the 2.7 VR frustration a bit and maybe DCS becomes flyable again)

Edited by JumpinK
  • Like 1

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

12 hours ago, andyn said:

11700KF, 6900XT and 64 GB of 3600 MHz DDR4, and the game is unplayable due to microstuttering caused by broken reprojection on the Reverb G2

Replying to myself: Today's (Wed 2020-04-21) Radeon update removed the reprojection-independent stutter for me. It also fixed a ton of other shenanigans in the compulsory Adrenalin crapware, so I highly suggest hitting that update button.

Note that DX11 mode still needs to be enabled in WMR for SteamVR settings.

12 hours ago, andyn said:

I've spent five full evenings trying to find the correct settings to no avail.

But at least it's working now...

On 4/21/2021 at 6:31 AM, eUK Nibbler said:

ED are working on vulkan. Q3 is a target. if we're lucky we'll see it next year. best put the dust covers on my Hotas then ;-/

I've changed/trailed enough settings to get it reasonably smooth.

Things i've learned....

Clouds on standard, they dance around more on low and in VR higher setting doesn't look better but really cost you.

Don't turn of Hyperthreading like some say, makes it slightly worse (i have 10900k)

Legacy Reproduction mode in steam vr doesn't help.

In G2 turning down native resolution to 80% helps massively and doesn't effect picture noticeably enough to care..plus you can keep MSAA at x 4 with really helps get rid of shimmer/jaggies (highly recommended)

Turn shadows to medium, terrain shadows off (you get used to it almost immediately) terrain textures to low (you wont notice trust me).

Turn preload radius down to 4000 (it helps and you won't see a difference in game)

Turn wake turbulence off in gameplay section as it uses a lot of comp power to work out wake for all aircraft.

Don't use antialiasing as it just makes shit blurry and is labour intensive. (the MSAA setting works way better)

Keep textures and cockpit resolution high as why play DCS if the plane looks pants!?

Make sure you RAM has XMP profile (in bios or tuning app) on as you need all the speed you can get with RAM.

Set reprojection mode to forced on in steam vr as it switching on and off will make you sick and have extra judders.

OC your CPU a little if poss inc Cache a little.

Keep forest details to max as it makes trees do weird distracting shit if you dont.

Scenery details for me is 0.5 as it doesnt do distracting stuff at that level.

Forest visibility is VERY labour intensive so have as low as you can stand, mines at 80% (trees popping up outa no where is crap).

heat blur off (looks weird in VR)

no SSAA SSLR SSAO on.

no lens effects (pants in VR anyway)

Water to low, helps a lot plus helps stop jaggies with rivers and streams (unless when you dogfight you look for little wave tops like a tourist?!)

Civ traffic off.

Resolution in dcs system page to a low setting as this is just the resolution it displays in that little window on your desktop (remember this is for VR people only).

cockpit illumination off as its crap.

no vsync .

no rain droplets unless you really want it.

Pretty sure you may want to argue against a lot of this as there's things you think you can't live with out but hey ho.

Fire animations/smoke and anything running a script... like moving ground forces etc are gonna play a part that we can't avoid easily but this setup alowwed me to play steady on a MP sever on Channel map and Normandy map plus do carrier ops in an F14b and just about hold in there when things got hectic.

One last thing if you use a targetting pod of any kind thats looking at an area with smoke, fire, ground forces etc you will enter the "flick book" zone.

Did you really mean 4,000 for preload radius or 40,000?

I keep having an issue that occurs after switching aircraft or mp server. The framerate drops to 1 or 2 fps and stutters. The odd thing is that if I click off dcs, open task manager or display advance frame times in steam vr the issue sometimes goes away. Anyone had anything like this?

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Resizeable BAR technology, a software enabling better PCIe communication between GPU and CPU. You need to update your GPU bios, motherboard bios, take the latest driver and enable it in bios and in nvidia profile inspector. 

Ok Gents,

I will try to keep this one short.  Since 2.7 came out, I am blown away like everyone else with the clouds and new stuff added.  It truly is a dream come true with VR and DCS.  Something I have noticed is when DCS releases a new patch, it always seems like there is a tug of war with the NVIDIA drivers.  I have read every possible advice known to DCS players on tweaking the VR settings to get max performance.  As shown below, I know it can be done.  These were videos shot not to long ago in my PIMAX 8K running in the 50 to 60 FPS range running high settings.  My specs and settings are posted on another forum I started.  I really hope ED can push VULCAN out this year.  I have not changed any setting since the videos below and I am now rolling with an average in the 30's and dipping into the jagged 20's in populated city areas.  I am going to try to reduced the cloud settings as everyone on here has stated and see where that gets me.  If anyone from ED is reading this, can you possibly comment on Vulcan and when it may be ready?  I am fired up for DCS to actually be able to utilize the full potential of my Intel i9.  This first video was the day 2.7 released.  Not bad at sea, but FPS drops pretty good inland.  

• Thanks 2

So I just shot another video which I will post below tweaking the setting as some mentioned above.  I did see a decent improvement in the FPS, at least pulling in the 40's now.  I will continue to mess around with it but these are my settings so far in game.  Time stamps are in the YouTube video to jump ahead to the combat.  Also listed the owner of the music in the video description.  

image.png

image.png

Edited by Devil 505
Copied to much

On 4/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, Viciam1 said:

Gotta be some settings causing this.  Your system is better than mine and I'm running a smooth 50-70fps on a Reverb G2 with graphics nearly maxed.   I have my 3080 set to override in-game settings if that helps.   Otherwise my Steam VR settings are pretty standard.  

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

I had super-smooth performance in 2.7 until i allowed a Windows update today . HUGE mistake . Stuttering like a kinetoscope , blurry , controllers going berserk , had to redo usb power settings , pc power , game mode off , game bar off , recalibration etc , etc . Thought for a while i'd have to do a total wipe .Took me quite some time to get back to 95% of what i had . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

7 hours ago, Full Refund said:

Gotta be some settings causing this.  Your system is better than mine and I'm running a smooth 50-70fps on a Reverb G2 with graphics nearly maxed.   I have my 3080 set to override in-game settings if that helps.   Otherwise my Steam VR settings are pretty standard.  

i reduced clouds to LOW and this seems to make a differenec and seems to be smoother now. Im not a very technical person so don't know how to play around with much of the settings. What STEAM VR Settings? Can you help?

On 4/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, Full Refund said:

Full Refund,  

Can you post a video on here of your 50 FPS to 70 FPS?  I would like to see what your settings are at.  Used to be able to pull it off but since 2.7 and NVIDIA driver updates, I am hovering in the lower 40's upper 30's.  Here was a refresher course flying the Black Shark on the Syria map.  If you have the Syria map, I would love to see a video with the FPS counter on to see how smooth its running.

Really bad Performance after Update to 2.7. Unplayable for me. High settings from ~45FPS down to 30´s

Now, clean Win10 install + clean DCS > before Patch 2.7 Level, even a little better. I did not expect. Happy now !

AMD 7800X3D | Asus TUF Gaming X670E Plus | Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64GB @6000MHz| NVIDIA 4090 FE | DCS only @ M.2 WD SN850X 1TB | Quest 3 & Virtual Desktop | TM Warthog | TM Pedals | | My F-18 Rogers SimPit

3 hours ago, LtSpoon said:

Really bad Performance after Update to 2.7. Unplayable for me. High settings from ~45FPS down to 30´s

Now, clean Win10 install + clean DCS > before Patch 2.7 Level, even a little better. I did not expect. Happy now !

clean Win10 install - thats what I haven't tried yet.

What exactly did you do? Settings / recovery / recover this PC / remove everything?

Windows KB5001330 update, and the previous KB5000842 preview update are known to cause in-game stuttering for some.  Fortunately, I do not have this issue with my setup but there are numerous reports and this has also been acknowledged by Microsoft.  DCS VR experience on my Valve Index has been spectacular since the introduction of Reshade VR and SteamVR's fix throttling.  

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

16 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Windows KB5001330 update, and the previous KB5000842 preview update are known to cause in-game stuttering for some.  Fortunately, I do not have this issue with my setup but there are numerous reports and this has also been acknowledged by Microsoft.  DCS VR experience on my Valve Index has been spectacular since the introduction of Reshade VR and SteamVR's fix throttling.  

That issue *should* be resolved now, providing you're up to date with Windows:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/windows-10-fixed-the-recent-game-performance-problems

I have a 2080 super, i9700 and 16GB RAM HP G1.  One thing the guides always do to make the game better, run smooth etc is mess with NVIDIA panel settings.  Last night I defaulted them all to original recommended settings.  With the exception to max power and always selecting my GPU (not auto select).  In game I turned off MSAA.  In steam I have in game SS set to 180%. I have textures to high, shadows to high, vis range to low, static reflections in and PD set to .7. In the steam "default.vrsettings" file I commented // out the "motion vector smoothing" line to allow the steam VR app to take control of changes.  I now have motiin smoothing on "enable" and I could not be more pleased.  Although MSAA 2x just looks amazing in quality for line sharpening and colors I just dont like the shutters and lag time.  To anyone debating utilizing steam to SS and having issues double check NVIDIA and try without no MSAA.  

• Like 1