Will this sale that’s going on, be on steam as well or can I buy a module here and use it there?

Skwirl865

I highly recommend transferring all purchases from steam to standalone. You will always have the updates sooner, the sales are better and usually go for an extended period of time. I think steam limits sales to 1 or 2 weeks max. IMO there is no benefit to running the steam version when all your modules can transfer to standalone. 

F/A-18C | F-16C | JF-17 | F-14 | FC3 | AV-8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | M-2000C | Mig 15bis | C-101 | F-86 | A-10C | P-51D | Fw 190 A-8 | Christen Eagle II | Bf 109 K-4 |

Ryzen 5 2600 | MSI RTX 2070 Super | ASROCK B450m Pro | 16GB G.SKill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 | 500GB WD Blue Internal SSD | 1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD | Logitech X56 HOTAS | PSEYE Track IR | Delan Clip | :joystick:

17 hours ago, mmoccio said:

I highly recommend transferring all purchases from steam to standalone. You will always have the updates sooner, the sales are better and usually go for an extended period of time. I think steam limits sales to 1 or 2 weeks max. IMO there is no benefit to running the steam version when all your modules can transfer to standalone. 

Yes, more sales and more time on standalone but please, stop with the lie that updates goes first on standalone cause is not, they release on same time.

Anyone can confirm if there will be a sale or not on Steam this time?

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

11 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

Yes, more sales and more time on standalone but please, stop with the lie that updates goes first on standalone cause is not, they release on same time.

Anyone can confirm if there will be a sale or not on Steam this time?

Usually the Steam sale kicks in a few days later and then ends on the same day as the standalone. And I have had updates that came later on Steam than the standalone, but never by more than about 12 hours I think. Not a big deal.

2.7 was available on Steam at exactly 4:04PM EST yesterday. Not sure when the standalone was, but I think it was a bit earlier.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

15 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Usually the Steam sale kicks in a few days later and then ends on the same day as the standalone. And I have had updates that came later on Steam than the standalone, but never by more than about 12 hours I think. Not a big deal.

2.7 was available on Steam at exactly 4:04PM EST yesterday. Not sure when the standalone was, but I think it was a bit earlier.

Ok thanks, so maybe starting the 18th of April and then running until the 2nd of May, because im pretty sure Steam has a 14 day sale max length, with 6 weeks in between each sale. minimum.

29 minutes ago, Kadulous said:

Ok thanks, so maybe starting the 18th of April and then running until the 2nd of May, because im pretty sure Steam has a 14 day sale max length, with 6 weeks in between each sale. minimum.

I think you're right about the 14 day thing. 

A while ago I looked at which platform to use, standalone or steam. The following were relevant features.

Modules bought on steam can be transferred to standalone.

Modules bought on standalone cannot be transferred to steam. 

Updates are automatic on steam.

I don’t know how updates are managed on standalone. 

Both standalone and steam offer the same content - nothing exclusive.

There is no DCS performance difference between standalone and steam. 

I decided to use steam as my master in case I decide to transfer to standalone later. I like the auto update feature.

6 hours ago, paulw10 said:

Updates are automatic on steam.

I don’t know how updates are managed on standalone. 

I decided to use steam as my master in case I decide to transfer to standalone later. I like the auto update feature.

DCS Standalone has an updater, when you launch after an update has been released it will ask if you want to update.

Hardware: Saitek X56, TrackIR, HP Reverb G2

I would imagine both systems have their conveniences. I can't even remember why I started with DCS on Steam, but years later I'm still on it and it works and I'm used to it, so I stay.

One thing I like about Steam is the wallet function. I like to pay for things in advance and the wallet lets me do that. So I keep it full and it just sits there waiting for new modules. I see... I want... I click... I have. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, mmoccio said:

I have fewer launchers if I use steam. Steam has very good customer-friendly policies for refunds. Steam has very very good file management.

I’m not leaving steam.

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

21 hours ago, Relic said:

I have fewer launchers if I use steam. Steam has very good customer-friendly policies for refunds. Steam has very very good file management.

I’m not leaving steam.

Agreed. I returned the Normandy map after I bought it and got a refund pretty quick. The map was atrocious. Bought it again a year later after they fixed it. 

Hope the sale starts today. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I'm waiting for Mi-8, having been short on funds during the last sale. Maybe Syria, while it's still discounted (still on the fence on that one, I'm short on HD space). However, I'm pretty much set as well. 

Curiously, right now Syria is pretty much the same price on the E-shop even with the sale, than the non-sale price on steam.

I think that's because it's technically still in EA and thus discounted. It's likely impossible to put a "permanent sale" for a given product on Steam, so they altered the base price. The E-shop can display the price however it wants. I know I can get Syria anytime. 

Honestly its annoying how ED treats the steam users.  I get it, it costs them money; but they made that decision when they released on steam.  It's never a surprise how ED "has technical trouble" working with Steam and no other game seems to suffer as much.

Yes, I could move to stand alone and all would be well, but I was brought to DCS with steam and I prefer to have my steam friends see me playing DCS so that they are enticed to come as well (which happens a lot).  

At least IL2 only has the launcher on steam, and the products can be bought on the website and it simply works with steam.  Now that would be something.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, redcoat22 said:

Honestly its annoying how ED treats the steam users. 

There might be a few inconveniences, like the lack of a sale right now, but I've been "treated well by DCS" on Steam. I got the free trials, done some pre-orders, and have bought lots of stuff on sale, and even returned one item with no hassle.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is a lack of a Mosquito. :happy:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Beirut said:

There might be a few inconveniences, like the lack of a sale right now, but I've been "treated well by DCS" on Steam. I got the free trials, done some pre-orders, and have bought lots of stuff on sale, and even returned one item with no hassle.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is a lack of a Mosquito. :happy:

Yeah, steam is great; and it works great.

But to have a large 50% sale for weeks online but "cant figure out how to do it on steam" is what is persistently annoying and quite suspect.  

Edited by redcoat22

2 hours ago, redcoat22 said:

Yeah, steam is great; and it works great.

But to have a large 50% sale for weeks online but "cant figure out how to do it on steam" is what is persistently annoying and quite suspect.  

I don't see it as suspect. Just inconvenient.

Now where's my Mosquito!?! :happy:

• Like 1