Air to air refuelling for AI does never finish

Hi everyone,

since the 2.7 open beta patch today, I faced a bug where AAR would sometimes not end so that the AI planes stay connected to the tanker and never seem to rejoin a formation.

I have seen this in a mission which I setup myself and it happens to a flight of two Hornets (both AI), where sometimes both planes would never finish, the flight lead however never finished in my testing sessions, not a single time. It also happened to my AI wingman, for whom I could "fix" it by ordering him to rejoin and then go to tanker again. Then he would normally finish refuelling.

Strange, however is that I have a second flight of two Hornets for which the refuelling process was totally fine every time. So far I have no ideo what could be the reason.

Before 2.7 everything was working fine.

Has anyone else noted this? If you need more information, I will of course provide whatever I can.

Cheers.

• Like 3

I’ve noticed extremely long refuel rates (as in 100lbs per 30-60 secs) on the right hose only, using the KC-135. The lights on the refuelling hose pod are also not working on the right side, so maybe this is an indication of a general bug with this side?

The left hose always seems to refuel at a normal rate.

I also noted some abnormal behaviour after disconnecting. This was all present pre v2.7 so it may or may not be the same issue you are experiencing.

Edited by norman99
  • Like 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Hypersteff:

Hi everyone,

since the 2.7 open beta patch today, I faced a bug where AAR would sometimes not end so that the AI planes stay connected to the tanker and never seem to rejoin a formation.

I have seen this in a mission which I setup myself and it happens to a flight of two Hornets (both AI), where sometimes both planes would never finish, the flight lead however never finished in my testing sessions, not a single time. It also happened to my AI wingman, for whom I could "fix" it by ordering him to rejoin and then go to tanker again. Then he would normally finish refuelling.

Strange, however is that I have a second flight of two Hornets for which the refuelling process was totally fine every time. So far I have no ideo what could be the reason.

Before 2.7 everything was working fine.

Has anyone else noted this? If you need more information, I will of course provide whatever I can.

Cheers.

Confirmed from my side. KC-135 MPRS, AI Wingman F/A-18C. Only order to return back into formation helped.

Did some tests. I see inconsistencies in Ai behavior. Before 2.7 I had no issue with wingman AAR (but not since a long time, and no testing because no real issue except external tanks not refuelable). Now some strange things came back, misalignements, speed mismatch, fuel still received after disconnect, sometimes Ai can achieve AAR and continue, sometimes no.

AI-refuel-kc135mprs.trk AI-refuel-S3b.trk

Have had this issue when trying to complete my current campaign. Have reported it. 

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Yep !

Happens to me with a custom AAR mission with a KC-130.

Note that I just disconnected when the transfer was complete and did not ''abort rejoin'' before telling the wingman to refuel.

That's why my wingman used the right hose I think.

Wingman using the right hose never disconnects and I have to order him to rejoin.

I'll add a trigger to monitor when he's full to see if it is the right hose that doesn't go well.

Something to try :

- Refuel with the right hose and monitor transfert rate,

- Abort rejoin, get the wingman to refuel and see if he uses the left hose and how it's going.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, toutenglisse said:

Did some tests. I see inconsistencies in Ai behavior. Before 2.7 I had no issue with wingman AAR (but not since a long time, and no testing because no real issue except external tanks not refuelable). Now some strange things came back, misalignements, speed mismatch, fuel still received after disconnect, sometimes Ai can achieve AAR and continue, sometimes no.

AI-refuel-kc135mprs.trk 74.87 kB · 3 downloads AI-refuel-S3b.trk 78.52 kB · 3 downloads

Reproduced.  It seems the AI has a hard time refueling when the tanker is doing an orbit.

Here's the same KC-135MPRS mission , only this time the tanker doesn't orbit: the AI Hornet refueling succeeds.

AI-refuel-KC135MPRS_no_orbit_OK.trk

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Can someone confirm if this is fixed in today's update? I'm going to be away from my PC for a while. 😞

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

58 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Just tested with tracks above: this is not fixed yet.

Thanks for checking. I really appreciate it.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I'm having the same issue. I've been trying to create a mission where the player and wingman in Hornets (technically another group so as to make it lead) refuel on their way back over Syria. From reading the posts above, I've also been in v.2.7, using KC-135 flying in a race-track orbit, refuelling one at a time from the left basket and both carrying an external fuel tank. I have tried using 'Push AI Task' to next waypoint or follow, and stop refuelling task, but the AI Hornet is stuck refuelling.

• 1 month later...

Been dealing with this issue for some time now.  Just tested another mission I've been working on.  It takes place on the Marianas map which of course means long distances.  Here is a track of my flight from the carrier to the tanker.  I Air-2-Air refuel first, fill up all three externals.  I then command my AI wingman to "hit the tanker" and he does.  Except he stays connected to the tanker for a very long time.

He basically fills his internal tanks on the Hornet but does not fill up the external tanks of which there are three.  He sits at 10.8 on the tanker.  You can see this clearly on the track file which is provided below.

Sorry, I cannot upload the track file for you.  Size limit is 5MB and my track is 13.

6 hours ago, enigma6584 said:

He basically fills his internal tanks on the Hornet but does not fill up the external tanks of which there are three.  He sits at 10.8 on the tanker.  You can see this clearly on the track file which is provided below.

That is a separate bug but has been around for quite a while now. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

8 hours ago, Grimes said:

That is a separate bug but has been around for quite a while now. 

Kind of pointless then to utilize AI wingmen in missions then.  I mean they basically run out of fuel before you get to the AO making deep strike missions impossible in single player or multiplayer with AI assets.  It's a "immersion killer," game killer for any kind of mission which goes beyond the most basic parameters.  I would say same kind of issue like the one where AI wingmen are running into you when on the ground taxiing to the runway.  This should be a priority fix IMHO.

AI refueling still is kind of bugged for me. It's hard to replicate though. If I test it in various little scenarios, it works. But in the mission I'm working on, AI still gets stuck and sometimes hornets fly above the KC130's wings as if the refueling probe is above the wing...  The mission was created before the update. Maybe I should delete those aircraft and re-enter them. But that sounds a bit silly... or not.  Either way. Something's wrong in the state of Denmark...

Screen_210715_205229.png