UPDATE IS TOO BIG!!!!!!!

Hey,

Well it looks like I won't be seeing the Hind I preordered. THESE UPDATES ARE TOO BIG!!!!! I have a gaming laptop that I use which only has 500gb on the SSD. Because of these stupid HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE 

updates I cannot update Openbeta anymore. Not without deleting the whole program and reinstalling which is RIDICULES! I lose important squad and game data/tweaks/info, every time! I do this and it usually opens a can of worms since I own everything DCS. Thing's that I tweak get lost but really, from someone who has financially and emotionally supported this sim it is ridicules to go through a major REINSTALL for EVERY update.

Please ED I am BEGGING YOU, STOP using GIANT updates! Or at least allow users someway of installing smaller increment's!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend,

Not A Happy Camper

1 minute ago, Fang333333 said:

Well it looks like I won't be seeing the Hind I preordered.

The Hind is not part of this 2.7OB update, you are "only" missing out the clouds. Update size was under 65GB for me(i guess because of map updates - map updates are always the biggest updates). If you own all/most maps but don't use them all just deinstall the ones you don't use to get some free space.

• Like 2

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

1 hour ago, Danny_P said:

Then uninstall some modules/terrains... Or buy a new ssd... Not really the devs fault mate

Completely agree. I had to buy a new SSD for DCS last year... a 500GB portable SSD really isn't that much these days. Probably less than what a module costs.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

"Software sells hardware". Keeping up with storage is common place for gaming PCs. 

Today, I felt the same "pain" and ended up uninstalling Star Citizen to regain some space for DCS. Granted, my measly 512GB SSD is too small these days to keep my fav games installed at the same time. Looking to upgrade my PC later this year anyway, but in the meantime I'll grab a larger drive and clone the existing one's content to tie me over.  

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

On 4/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, Fang333333 said:

Hey,

Well it looks like I won't be seeing the Hind I preordered. THESE UPDATES ARE TOO BIG!!!!! I have a gaming laptop that I use which only has 500gb on the SSD. Because of these stupid HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE 

updates I cannot update Openbeta anymore. Not without deleting the whole program and reinstalling which is RIDICULES! I lose important squad and game data/tweaks/info, every time! I do this and it usually opens a can of worms since I own everything DCS. Thing's that I tweak get lost but really, from someone who has financially and emotionally supported this sim it is ridicules to go through a major REINSTALL for EVERY update.

Please ED I am BEGGING YOU, STOP using GIANT updates! Or at least allow users someway of installing smaller increment's!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend,

Not A Happy Camper

Just buy external an storage ssd, they are not terribly expensive like the M2 drives.

Edited by BioZ
  • Like 2

Dont try to make your problem ED's problem. How can one realistically expect to be able to live with only 500gb SSD? Upgrade your storage.

• Like 2

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I have a 500GB M.2 SSD, but it's only the OS and flightsims on there. Everything else, including the swap file, lives on a 4TB HDD. This has an additional effect of helping preserve the SSD lifetime, both in terms of write cycles and in terms of obsolescence. While I don't have every single DCS module and map, I've got 72GB left, which should be plenty for the near future (and I've still got some cruft I can kick out to the HDD if I really have to).

2 hours ago, Fang333333 said:

Hey,

Your friend,

Not A Happy Camper

Well if you have a other drive in your computer, you could move some modules to it and they would still be playable. Look at this guide: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/692/#3314952

My skins

All bs aside, if 500gb is all you have for both OS, software, and games? Yeah, that's not gonna stretch far these days. I figured that out 7-8 years ago, before DCS even really entered the picture for me. 500gb isn't enough these days. The good news is, when I bought my 500gb SSD back then, it cost $300. These days you can get several TB for that :D

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

When it comes to storage, always buy more than you need. There’s nothing worse than getting a small drive to ‘save some money’ only to need another 12 months later.

These days 500Gb is simply no where near enough. My laptop already had 256Gb & 1Tb drives, but they were getting full, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2TB Samsung Evo last year (I’m lucky it has space for 3 drives). Best decision I could make.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, razo+r said:

That obviously depends on how many maps and modules you have. 

I had 54GB, a friend had 15GB, others like you inbetween. 

Mine was 84GB.. Thank f$%k for gigabyte fibre connection.. took about 15 mins total for DL and install

• Like 1

Hey,

Your friend,
Not A Happy Camper

Edit: Strange things happens when you're girlfriend has access to your phone...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 4/15/2021 at 12:45 PM, razo+r said:

epends on how many maps and modules you have. 

I had 54GB, a friend had 15GB, others like you inbetween. 

Strange. My Steam update was 37,4 as well. I have NTTR, PG and Syria while my friends update was exactly the same and he owns the same maps i do plus normandy. So he has one map more than me and didn't download a single MB more than i did. So it's only the Channel wich would make the difference to:

20 hours ago, Spetz said:

Mine was 84GB..

and i realy doubt that Channel increases the update by 47GB

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Still dosen't explain why my buddy downloaded exactly the same GB while owning more maps than i do (he also has more modules than me in general). 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, VpR81 said:

Still dosen't explain why my buddy downloaded exactly the same GB while owning more maps than i do (he also has more modules than me in general). 

mgc.gif

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2