Jumping clouds

Same happens here.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.0.4625/

• Users may see some vertical ‘jittering’ when looking at distant clouds - This is more visible in VR and we are working to resolve it as a priority.

Similar/same issues as reported within the known issues section of the changelog?

• Like 1

Regards,

Paul "Dodge / LondonLad"

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, Thrustmaster Warthog (Joystick (Backup) + Throttles),VPC WarBRD-D Base,VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC ACE Interceptor Pedals, VKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset & Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset + TrackIR

Group: DCAF

Yep, but for me this doesn't just happen on distant clouds: they jump up and down everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I'm also noticing they jitter, both close and distant, to the point where it's causing me a bit of motion sickness in VR and I had to fly some missions with no clouds for the rest of the evening.  It's unfortunate, because they look great, but it kind of looks like their position is not being updated with the head movement as quickly as the rest of the visual world, so they "stick" to the head tracking position for a fraction of a second and lag behind the rest of the scene.  And since your head is always jittering and moving a small amount in VR, the clouds are always jumping around.  Come to think of it, I'll have to do a little testing this afternoon and see what happens when I put my VR headset on my desk and not move it at all.

12 minutes ago, SlipHavoc said:

it kind of looks like their position is not being updated with the head movement as quickly as the rest of the visual world, so they "stick" to the head tracking position for a fraction of a second and lag behind the rest of the scene.  And since your head is always jittering and moving a small amount in VR, the clouds are always jumping around.

Yes, this was also my assumption, the jittering seems to be tied to micro movements of the head even the minimal movements caused by heartbeat. This is really weird. I really hope there appears some kind of workaround for this, the clouds are litteraly a no go for me in VR because of this unfortunately.

• Like 1

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

2 hours ago, SlipHavoc said:

I'm also noticing they jitter, both close and distant, to the point where it's causing me a bit of motion sickness in VR and I had to fly some missions with no clouds for the rest of the evening.  It's unfortunate, because they look great, but it kind of looks like their position is not being updated with the head movement as quickly as the rest of the visual world, so they "stick" to the head tracking position for a fraction of a second and lag behind the rest of the scene.  And since your head is always jittering and moving a small amount in VR, the clouds are always jumping around.  Come to think of it, I'll have to do a little testing this afternoon and see what happens when I put my VR headset on my desk and not move it at all.

Indeed: I'm about to test if this also happens in helicopters, and if it does, if it's as noticable (less forward speed might cause them to want to "update their position" less often...
If it's as bad as in my F-16, I won't fly until it's fixed for the reason you describe.

*update*

As suspected it's still noticable in helicopters but far less pronounced: you really need to look for it in order to see it.

And perhaps it's just me, but it seems to scale with Visibility Distance as well: it's a bit less bad on Extreme. On the Caucasus map you can get away with that setting but in Syria or The Channel it's uplayable (framerate under 20). I set it back to High after that: that's the highest I can get away with.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
update
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

My clouds, and my F/A-18C HMD, bounce in tune with my heartbeat too!

I can stabilize the clouds a little with rythmic nodding... Ohh Yes.

I had no idea the Reverb G1 was so sensitive. Going to experiment with some foam insulation.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

I usually play with ASW on because i don't like the jittery(i don't know if that is the right word?) head movement with ASW off and FPS below the 80fps(i can't hold that in DCS and VR) range, that makes me motion sick having this vibrating picture every time my head moves a little. 

With ASW on i don't notice the jumping clouds much, only in the distance and looking forward, to the sides it's barely noticeable. I played a little with the OTT tool and ASW off but with that setting the clouds jumped noticeable more on my end, all around me, near or far - like with the external view and ASW on but in cockpit view now.

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Actually I don't know if it's because I was looking closer, but I only started noticing the bouncing clouds issue in the latest batch of Wags videos for the Hornet and the Viper, before that I never saw the effect in any of the videos released (I've seen a thousand times the DCS Clouds video), so maybe it's a side effect of recent 2.7 optimization.

17 minuti fa, cromhunt ha scritto:

Clouds trembling and bouncing even without VR.

It's a little bit less but trembling,anyway.

Yep here too, it's more obvious for middle layers (e.g. in a three layer preset, the bottom and top ones don't bounce, the middle one does a lot)

Why keep going at this guys?

Clearly ED stated it's a know issue and has their highest priority

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH