[NO BUG] Cannot input Initial Position on INS after DCS 2.7 update

Figadas

Hello,

Like the title said, I cannot clear up the position on the INS when I first start a mission (tried on instant action and campaign), clicking with the mouse on 1(+) or 3(-) on the PCN keypad is not clearing up the coordinates, has the procedure to input coordinates for the INS changed by any chance?

thank you

regards

RTFP!!!

The last big change on the PCN is with the BUT (waypoint) 00. Selecting BUT 00 in PREP mode displays the current aircraft’s coordinates, altitude and true heading but this BUT is read only and cannot be edited on the ground or in flight. This means that now in order to start the alignment process you have to select a BUT with your current coordinates and altitude set. The simplest solution for now is to use the BUT 20.

49 minutes ago, myHelljumper said:

Hi, did you read this post ?

Hello helljumper thank you, I read on March when Elmo posted it but I must have stopped before I could finish it.

Just out of curiosity, is that a real world procedure or a compromise that the team had to make so other things would work properly?

thanks again.

regards

Edited by Figadas
*team

20 hours ago, myHelljumper said:

From our information, the waypoint zero cannot be edited so you have to use another waypoint for alignment.

That's weird as I saw a YT INS tutorial from the Grim Reapers and he was able to do that in Feb this year. Doesn't really make sense as to why you would align an INS to a different WP other than the one your at.  Guess I will stack WP0 and WP1 on top of each other in the ME.

4 minutes ago, Sl3dge said:

Doesn't really make sense as to why you would align an INS to a different WP other than the one your at.

Good question that should be asked to Dassault 🙂 !

WP 0 is not really a waypoint, it has way less data. It's just a way to display your current position.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:11 PM, Sl3dge said:

That's weird as I saw a YT INS tutorial from the Grim Reapers and he was able to do that in Feb this year. Doesn't really make sense as to why you would align an INS to a different WP other than the one your at.  Guess I will stack WP0 and WP1 on top of each other in the ME.

There was a huge update called 2.7.

That being said, a lot of videos in YouTube are outdated. Stick to the changelogs, not to YouTube videos   

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

IRL, WPY 0 is not editable. Other can be modified.

So you have 2 solutions:

1. Quick alignment enable in settings (in sttings/special/M2000): WPY00 is configured with current position
  2. Normal alignment: As IRL pilots do, you have to manually enter the current position in a editable wpy from 1 to 20. Usually, 20 is the one used

Last update had a lot of improvement to fits to IRL. And seems Razbam will continue in this good mood.

Edit: Error in the list of modifiable WPY

Edited by reptile92

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RTFP!!!

The simplest solution for now is to use the BUT 20.

I just got back to the mirage after the last update. It strikes me as a bit odd having to select a random waypoint (I guess it doesn't have to be wp20) in order to align. Or is it indeed a haphazard solution "for now" because they're working on something else?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, john4pap said:

is it indeed a haphazard solution "for now" because they're working on something else?

No, this change will be permanent.

waypoint 00 is the INS's "present position" and isn't editable in the real, rather it is "updated" using the co-ordinates from a stored WP (01-20) i.e. during the initial alignment or while in flight i.e. INS overfly updates or offset updates to correct gyro drift.

AFAIK mission waypoints 01 - xx are loaded from a data cartridge and the real SOP's use waypoint 20 (last editable WP ?) to avoid overwriting a mission WP but there is nothing stopping one of the other WP's (01-20) being used.

While the changes may seem "haphazard", a detailed functioning INS is likely important to the AdA (also using the DCS Mirage) to avoid negative training.

It's also possible Razbam simply have more information/permissions now they are working with the AdA.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, myHelljumper said:

From our information, the waypoint zero cannot be edited so you have to use another waypoint for alignment.

Sorry, maybe I get this completely wrong, but doesn`t alignment only means that you SET the aircraft on exact place in the world? You actually do NOT change anything with doing an alignment to waypoints. And why would you do the alignment for the waypoint 2, which is not you current waypoint (you are still standing still on the take-off airport)? You should supose to do the alignment for your actually current position. Only that way you and your aircraft will know exact position. All else means you will only do the off-sets from your current position?

Am I right, or not?

2 hours ago, mitja_bonca said:

Sorry, maybe I get this completely wrong, but doesn`t alignment only means that you SET the aircraft on exact place in the world? You actually do NOT change anything with doing an alignment to waypoints. And why would you do the alignment for the waypoint 2, which is not you current waypoint (you are still standing still on the take-off airport)? You should supose to do the alignment for your actually current position. Only that way you and your aircraft will know exact position. All else means you will only do the off-sets from your current position?

Am I right, or not?

For a cold start, waypoint 00 will not show your current position. It simulates the last known position of the aircraft when INS was switched off after a previous flight, and that your aircraft was then moved to another parking for example. 

So you have to enter your current position (the one given in the kneeboard)before you can start your alignment. But, as waypoint 00 can't be edited, you have to use any of the other waypoint (01 to 20) to enter your current position and then start the alignment. 

Exception: if you have enabled fast alignment in the options, then waypoint 00 will display your current position and you can use it too start alignment (normal or fast) without entering any coordinates. 

Edited by Steph21

Thanks for the explanation. Its just odd why waypoint 00 cannot be edited. And as I have read here, thats the same on the Real Life Mirage 2000C airplane. With so much of the high tech incorporated into it, and waypoint cannot be edited? LOL, just 🤣

Thats the pure basic to start fyling from somewhere, and to know your location in the world, at least for my knowledge.

The BUT 00 is not a standard BUT it's the aircraft position, it has particularities, like not being editable.

When you are inputting your starting coordinates in another BUT and start your alignment with that BUT in PREP, the INS will copy the PREP BUT coordinates and altitude in the BUT 00, setting the initial coordinates for the aircraft.

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Like 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• myHelljumper changed the title to [NO BUG] Cannot input Initial Position on INS after DCS 2.7 update