No contrast with new clouds (2.7 / Reverb G2)

Vanguard

Stuck my head in to test 2.7. On my flat screen, the clouds look, okay'ish I guess, I'll leave my opinion for another day, but in my G2 HMD, they look almost completely white and cartoonish, there's practically no contrast. On the reflector/mirror, it can see much more gray and depth in the clouds, but in the headset they're almost featureless white puffballs. Standard or ultimate, and adjusting gamma did nothing to solve it. Anyone else, any ideas? PD .5, Steam SS 400%, 2080 Super.

• Like 3

I just ran a repair to see if perhaps textures didn't load or something, but I have the same issue in VR.  I'm running a reverb G2 and set the clouds to ultra and no difference, the sky looks like featureless white puff balls.  I suspect they haven't gotten around to optimizing the clouds for VR yet, but as it stands 2.7 sadly doesn't rate as an improvement when it comes to the VR experience.  I tried running a variety of scenarios and different presets in custom missions and the results were consistent... white, featureless puff balls.  On the plus side frame rates appear solid, but the appearance is most definitely not as advertised in VR.  I rarely jump in to comment on the forums and most just read posts for useful information, but this is a significant disappointment given all the buildup.  One would assume they tested VR performance before release, but for VR pilots like me this doesn't cut it.  On the plus side I didn't notice texture rotation when looking at the sky and turning my head, so that is something.  I really don't like leveling criticism and I know the team busted their behinds to get this out, but after all the hype this is a serious bummer.

• Like 6

Same issues as many have described here. What ads to frustration is many are not having these issues so what is the difference between systems? Gotta find that one thing. lol

no shader mods

i7-8700k

2080Ti

Rift S

update: did a complete clean reinstall of 2.7 and added nothing to it. Still same. One way to describe bug in VR is if the image of the clouds was on

a clear cell as in used on old animation and the cell is jiggled around over the image of Caucus map. All clouds in the image move around at once. Had acft

at different altitudes.

Edited by kefor
  • Like 1

Yes, very sad implementation for VR 😞

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

1 hour ago, kefor said:

Same issues as many have described here. What ads to frustration is many are not having these issues so what is the difference? Gotta find that one thing. lol

no shader mods

i7-8700k

2080Ti

Rift S

That's what I was hoping. There are so many people posting how great they look, but they look absolutely terrible for me, I am sincerely hoping there is "that one thing" that is simple missing in settings or something. 

• Like 3

It might only me, but I see the clouds like pixelated, like if they were rendered ar 640x480 or something XD.

Could it be a MSAA tyhing (mine is at 2x), also my PD is 0.5 and I bump up the steamVR supersampling cause in DCS2.5 made the same visual experience but better frames. But maybe this is hurting the cloud look.

6 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

It might only me, but I see the clouds like pixelated, like if they were rendered ar 640x480 or something XD.

Could it be a MSAA tyhing (mine is at 2x), also my PD is 0.5 and I bump up the steamVR supersampling cause in DCS2.5 made the same visual experience but better frames. But maybe this is hurting the cloud look.

Try running the in-game PD at +1.0, the whole running at 0.5 and then using steamVR supersampling has already been debunked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gcgAXhgtA

I wonder if the cloud resolution is linked to the display resolution, granted even at +1.0 they still don't look detailed and like other posts have mentioned it appears in VR that the graphics>cloud option doesn't actually effect them.. They appear to be locked at one setting.

Thanks Danny_p, just tried that but its the same experience.

Apart from the severe jumping for low clouds, specially noticeable when looking at the horizon, the clouds just look very pixelated (with jaddering and like saw teeth in the borders), specially when looking at the horizon. 

It really needs some more work in VR as all the videos i'm seeing on youtube that are much much better and does not suffer this effect. Btw i have almost everything on low including ground texture, as some say this might play a role, I guess i will play with this settings a bit more, but with a reverb G2 and a 1080ti i can bear pushing the settings up too much for a playable MP experience.

3 hours ago, Silvern said:

Overall the entire VR is noticeably more blurry & washed out than it was.
VR is borderline unplayable in DCS 2.7 with all these bugs.

Concur with your first statement.  It is more blurry and washed-out.  VR...G2.

Suppose it is a bug or a missing feature still to be implemented. It is not sense to leave because performance the clouds all equal in all quality rendering options. If the ultra clouds goes bad in performance, we could choose to jump to lower cloud settings, and that would be nice to be done on hot while flying as I can do in MSFS.

Edit: My text got deleted..

I tried PD 0.5 and 2, while changing Steam SS from 400% to 50% respectively. Perhaps a little nicer with 1.0+ but maybe placebo, either way, not a fix. Picture says 1000 words? Not ideal, but I used my phone to snap a pic of my right lens. Left side is desktop mirror. Here's what I'm seeing:

Cloud.jpg

Edited by Vanguard
  • Thanks 1

Agree with others. Clouds look blown out and low quality even in ultra, they bounce/jitter up and down - giving motion sickness. I'm also seeing strange reflections that slowly flicker like a slide show on the canopy(F16).

Roll on the next 30 patches...

As a VR user (Pimax 5k+) I too am disappointed with the visuals, which are very lack lustre to say the least 😞  This update is a non event for me, which is a shame because I had been looking forward to it and thought I might be tempted to fly DCS more and purchase new aircraft.  However, its back to flying other flight simulation titles for me and not interested in purchasing any new DCS aircraft.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by Talisman_VR

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Having just run a comparison between 1080p and Oculus Rift-S I can unfortunately attest to the same issue with new clouds being very indistinct in VR when compared to their 2D bretheren.

That said, they are still a vast improvement in terms of:

• non-rotating with head roll
  • synchronisation over multiplayer
  • there is now a landscape in the sky and that this drives tactical and piloting decisions like never before in DCS
  • flying into/out of and within cloud looks far more realistic than ever before 

Remember chaps, that:

1. this is a Beta - ergo it is not final and subject to tweaking, optimisation and improvement

2. as VR users you have already accepted a slight degradation in crisp resolution imagery in exchange for a more immersive 3D environment; for the moment at least it seems that the crenulations and detail that excited us, hitherto had been displayed to us in 2D format only, (there was no demonstration of it in VR - we only inferred it) and that this maybe the price of VR - for now (refer to point 1).

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

also my PD is 0.5 and I bump up the steamVR supersampling cause in DCS2.5 made the same visual experience but better frames.

No.  No it didn't.

Watch the Jabbers vid.

As I told everyone the moment that was posted to FB...  Snake Oil.  It does NOT increase frames.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Having just run a comparison between 1080p and Oculus Rift-S I can unfortunately attest to the same issue with new clouds being very indistinct in VR when compared to their 2D bretheren.

That said, they are still a vast improvement in terms of:

• non-rotating with head roll
  • synchronisation over multiplayer
  • there is now a landscape in the sky and that this drives tactical and piloting decisions like never before in DCS
  • flying into/out of and within cloud looks far more realistic than ever before 

Remember chaps, that:

1. this is a Beta - ergo it is not final and subject to tweaking, optimisation and improvement

2. as VR users you have already accepted a slight degradation in crisp resolution imagery in exchange for a more immersive 3D environment; for the moment at least it seems that the crenulations and detail that excited us, hitherto had been displayed to us in 2D format only, (there was no demonstration of it in VR - we only inferred it) and that this maybe the price of VR - for now (refer to point 1).

Good points DD_Fenrir.  I guess my biggest question is can or will it get on par in VR in comparison to the 2D format in the near future? IF the jumping clouds gets resolved soon I will feel they are stepping in much better direction and I can hope down the road the eye candy will come. 

Edited by Raven68
  • Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I certainly hope so Raven, but if it were simple it would be done already - best case scenario, it's something ED are working on and we'll see an improvement in the coming weeks or months. Worst case; it's an issue inherent to VR and we won't see the detail until VR headset resolutions increase sufficiently.

I can't think of a reason of why the current implementation in VR is a VR limitation itself. To the contrary we heard reports from some testers who did test it in VR, and the feedback was very positive. I find hard that could be the case with the jumping clouds we have now, which induce montion sickness and an overall awful experience.

I really have confidence in ED that we'll get a fix for the jumping clouds in the incoming days via a new patch (hopefully also the overall look in VR).

I'm confident it will get sorted in time.. But still overall a better effect for me despite the lack of contrast.

Last night was the first time I've actually ever gotten disoriented in the clouds up high. Was kinda fun! Then went low into a bowl in the mountains with low cloud on the Caucasus map, damn near cratered the side of the opposite mountain wondering why my ground search radar wasn't penetrating the cloud cover lol

Edited by Spetz
  • Like 2