VR quality settings

Besides from the jumping clouds issue one thing that I've noticed is that regardless of the quality setting I select in VR, the clouds look the same with no difference or very litte in detail between LOW and ULTRA. Maybe this is related with the jumping bug, but I was curious about this and if anyone else have the same impression. Other than that they look amazing in 2D and performance is incredible!

• Like 5

Same here. From low to ultra I really do not see much difference. I wasn't sure if is was just an HMD issue(using odyssey plus)but interesting to hear someone else is having the same issue.

And I too am get the vibrating clouds. And it's really bad outside the cockpit. I am glad that is a known bug already.

Edited by dopebogey
  • Like 5

Yeah, I've put it on Ultra and the clouds don't look anything like in Wags' videos. They still look pretty neat, but I was expecting more. Hopefully this will be resolved in the next patch.

At least the performance didn't seem to have tanked. Whether that'll stay true after the quality issue is fixed remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Yes its all very blurry & low resolution in vr, the lighting & shadows is much better on the ground but looking at the clouds its like I'm partially sighted.

I'm wondering if there is some sharpening issues as well as it can look very blocky when the cloud interacts with the ground.  

• Like 1

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

The default cloud quality option in general setting menu after starting 2.7 for the first time was "standard" so I guess this is the option in which the cloud quality is stuck in VR.

Can confirm there is no noticeable change when switching to "ultra". So this appears to be a bug? At least performance is good...

• Like 2

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

Same here. The distant vibrating clouds don't bother me as much, but the quality of the clouds is VERY disappointing right now in VR. I'd rather not have any clouds than these shapeless blobs we have now in VR. Totally ruins the realism for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nrosko said:

Yes its all very blurry & low resolution in vr, the lighting & shadows is much better on the ground but looking at the clouds its like I'm partially sighted.

I'm wondering if there is some sharpening issues as well as it can look very blocky when the cloud interacts with the ground.  

I'm experiencing this also. The scenery seems blurry to me like the resolution is low. Also there's no diff between standard & ultra clouds.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Yup clouds are blurry and pretty much awful in VR. The sea is also way too dark and the game just looks grainy now in the G2. It looked clean and sharper before.

• Like 4

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Hoirtel:

BN did say once that in game PD affects cloud quality. 0.5 they look rubbish.

Interesting. Have to test it.

Good to know that others experience the same. I was also really diappointed by the VR quality of the clouds and didn't see any effect of the quality settings in VR.

I had also some problems when comparing what I see in VR with the mirrored image on the screen. The clouds seemed to look so different in quality (better on screen) that it was hard to find individual clouds to compare how I perceive them in VR and on a flat screen (used the highest overcast setting). Maybe this was just because I was extremely tired yesterday and the screen was too small and far away. If not, it might be some extra or missing post processing step in VR that is applied. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to me since both images share the same frame buffer.

Edited by Wychmaster

Same results here, the bouncing clouds can only be tolerated for so long before nausea starts to sneak up on you, and it doesn't seem to matter what the quality for the clouds is in the settings, they look 'too soft' in VR and no different whichever the setting. They look much better on my monitor if I fire up DCS without VR enabled.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 4

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep no difference in quality settings of the clouds in VR. At least none that I could notice. No difference in frame-rates either. Hopefully someone from Eagle Dynamics can reply, whether this is "working as intended" or if it's a bug?

*edit* 3090RTX user here. I don't mind the jitter, which I'm sure will be solved, but the quality difference between what we see in 2d and VR is quite off-putting. Maybe the two issues are related?

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Yesterday I did a lot test flying with LOW to ULTRA clouds settings. Using Rverb G2 with P.D:1 and SS150 I had always same low quality in VR clouds textures and flickering problems in the distance but I noticed that 2d screen mirrror had a good ones, like in the Wags videos. Flickering depends on what kind of weather preset you choose in the editor. I know that is WIP so hopefully it will be a hotfix soon. Performance is incredible good.

vor 24 Minuten schrieb chichowalker:

... but I noticed that 2d screen mirrror had a good ones, like in the Wags videos...

I also mentioned it in my earlier post. Wasn't sure if it was only me being too tired. I guess this information should be quite valuable to the devs, since it narrows down where this is coming from.

1 minute ago, Wychmaster said:

I also mentioned it in my earlier post. Wasn't sure if it was only me being too tired. I guess this information should be quite valuable to the devs, since it narrows down where this is coming from.

Yeah, unfortunately that could be because the mirrors in VR lack depth perception, or in other words the clouds are rendered like they would be on a 2d screen. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Lurker:

Yeah, unfortunately that could be because the mirrors in VR lack depth perception, or in other words the clouds are rendered like they would be on a 2d screen. 

Don't think the clouds are missing depth. They are just lacking detail and are blurred out. My bet is on some difference in postprocessing of the frame buffer when the pipeline of mirrored image and VR image diverge. However, since I don't know the exact code, I am just guessing 😛

• Like 1

I don't think he meant that clouds are lacking depth, but rather the mirrors do - mirrors in VR look like LCD screens displaying an image, with no depth perception at all. Compare it to mirrors in IL-2, where each eye's viewpoint is taken into consideration and you see "depth" in the mirror image.

I don't know why clouds would be affected by that though other than strange rendering reasons.

Edited by SquidgyB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2