VR quality settings

Sorry I don’t agree I think the water effects were great before. To see breaking waves at altitudes just made you feel more like your were flying over the ocean. 

• Like 4

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I definitely notice no difference in VR when changing the quality settings on the clouds.

As far as the water goes, I enjoy how the clouds affect perception of the sea. Now the water changes texture based off the sky condition and it seems to be closer to my experiences IRL of the horizon being very difficult to perceive when flying between OVC and the sea. The spatial disorientation feeling that realistic IMC has added is *chefs kiss* 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigalsunit said:

This is at 6000 ft with a 20kt wind.

20kts is 5 degree Beaufort. Fresh breeze, very nice for sailing on open ocean. Looks like this from the deck: 
Beaufort_scale_5.jpg

From 6kft? It'll look perfectly flat, especially in smaller bodies of water (such as the Black Sea), where waves are smaller and more frequent compared to the open ocean. To see waves from 6kft, you'd need gale force winds (8-10), and even then it won't look nearly as exaggerated as what we've had. 

Water in VR has been much improved, fake waves are now gone, and it looks much more like the real thing, especially with clouds. Haven't tested extreme conditions, though.

Just going to add my two cents here and say that the clouds in VR are the only thing in this update that has been underwhelming, which is ironic given they were the focus, but there's so much excellence in 2.7 besides.

I'm using MSAA x2, reshade to sharpen, extra contrast, clouds on ultra, and my quest 2 in running at 4864x2448 and I've tried toggling all of these things on an off. Everything is sharp and looking great except the clouds which look very undefined and hazy no matter what type they are. Also, the aliasing on the distant clouds is pretty extreme, though I think that's a know issue along with the jitter.

Overall, I've been having a blast with the new update since I nailed down my settings, but I've had to pretty much ignore the clouds.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jafergon said:

Besides from the jumping clouds issue one thing that I've noticed is that regardless of the quality setting I select in VR, the clouds look the same with no difference or very litte in detail between LOW and ULTRA. Maybe this is related with the jumping bug, but I was curious about this and if anyone else have the same impression. Other than that they look amazing in 2D and performance is incredible!

Ok so some weird motion in the clouds is a bug and not just me seeing weird crap.

10 hours ago, bigalsunit said:

This is the same thing I have noticed with the water quality settings. Just like the cloud quality, in VR the low, medium, and high option settings for water don’t visibly change anything anymore. I am in agreement with the post above. We need clarification as to whether or not these issues are bugs or if they are, in fact, by design. Clearly someone on the team has to know. Right?!

Water quality setting?  Where is that?  I too have really dull waves and thought I was missing something

Not sure if this will help anyone but here’s what I getting in 2.7

I9 9900KS 5.0g 32g DDR4 3400 EVGA 1070ti and Rift 2gen. nvidia setting are default.

Clouds 8 caucuses map. 

Pictures say everything, lose a few FPS while on carrier “a lot on activity”

Most of the time it's 45FPS 

But all in all very nice work ED!  

No the clouds are not perfect but then again I do a recurrent every year in a level 4 sim costing a lot and the clouds in it are CRAP!!!!

On a side note seeing a SA11 coming up out of the cloud right a you is something to SEE!

It really get you going!

Again well done ED……’S’

Screen_210416_095811.png

Screen_210416_095825.png

Screen_210416_095828.png

Screen_210416_095847.png

Edited by Cooler07

Atari 800XL 64K MEMORY 1050 FLOPPY Video GTIA chip 300 baud modem.

Hmm...  real clouds...  Just to put things in perspective folks...

Yeah we've all seen the 4K pics with curated lighting with likely post effects and all that...  And they're super cool...  but lets just sit back for a sec and take a look at some real clouds...

Here...  both taken on the same day just maybe 20 minutes from each other...  Clearly there are VR clouds IRL too...  

Yeah I know...  We "only" get the VR clouds in VR... I get it...  They will be tuning them and honestly there will be users digging into the config files and likely figuring out how to add contrast etc...  but look...  There are crappy clouds IRL too...  They aren't ALL the magnificently inspiring clouds we imagine in our dreams :)...

20210218_152708.jpg

20210218_153919.jpg

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I understand...  I'm just saying that in some cases there's some real "This crappy crap sucks you suck ED" going on and really...  that's not the case...  They've done a bang up job for a first "OPEN BETA" release and they've specifically said "There are issues, we're still working on it".

It's just that the "crappy crap" folks get on my nerves.

This is the type of thing that has the potential to change the way ED works and interacts with the client base in a very negative way.  I've been around long enough to have seen this happen before and it's not cool.

I'm just encouraging people to sit back, state your concern in a respectful way (I mean..  they've spent thousands of hours bringing us a first release and we need to understand that and not be dismissive jerks.  I get that it's not everything everyone wanted...  maybe not even on a first release...  but it's damn fine IMO as a first OPEN BETA release :).

Not all clouds are like my top pic up there :).

• Like 3

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

8 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

It's just that the "crappy crap" folks get on my nerves.

Yeah, show some love to the amazing developers

They are well aware of all this and probably has it on top of the to-do list.

They have done a brilliant job on the clouds, this is amazing, i tought this would never be possible at acceptable frame rates at all, but they clearly have made a spectacular job keeping the performance!

Lets hope for a small patch in the future so we can adjust the settings and let our GPUs cry even more

Living the vr-lifestyle....

• Like 2

I consider this a bug thread. In a bug thread, we talk about the bugs, we share our settings / criticism, because that's the point of this thread.

There are other threads for praising the clouds / other updates (because on a whole, this was an AMAZING update across the board!). But the devs also need to know what issues people are having to make a better product. So long as the criticism is constructive, and kept to the appropriate threads / forums, there's no issues IMHO.

• Like 8

Yes the white knighting of DCS in the bugs & problems thread is tedious. If you are happy with the product then go & play with it. 

• Like 3

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I'm very grateful for the amazing work the team has done on this patch and how beautiful and realistic clouds look (as a matter of fact everytime a major patch is released, I buy an ED module, even without the intention to use it, just to support the team).

We are just trying to get some answers on a very specific question, the fact that changing quality settings of clouds in VR doesn't seem to have any real effect. I understand there must be a very good reason behind, just want to know why and if it's something we can expect to be fixed soon.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2021 at 11:22 PM, Jafergon said:

Besides from the jumping clouds issue one thing that I've noticed is that regardless of the quality setting I select in VR, the clouds look the same with no difference or very litte in detail between LOW and ULTRA. Maybe this is related with the jumping bug, but I was curious about this and if anyone else have the same impression. Other than that they look amazing in 2D and performance is incredible!

Hello Jafergon, Hello Community,
I did some research today and found out the following connection. The clouds in DCS are rendered separately as I understand it. That is, the game world is rendered, then the clouds and then everything is merged. Ok so far no miraculous insight 😄 however I noticed that the cloud quality no matter with which VR resolution (in Steam) always looks the same. Ergo, the clouds are always simulated with a defined resolution regardless of the resolution of the game. This looks very good in 2D and unfortunately not quite as sharp in VR. Here it simply needs a higher resolution. If you quickly rotate the camera around the aircraft in the exterior view far away from the aircraft and stop, you can partially see the individual voxels, these are then quickly smoothed. I think this temporal smoothing is currently also the devil, whereby just the perspective of the clouds gets an offset to the world and wobbles. The settings Low-Ultra seem to change almost nothing. Possibly a placeholder of the BETA? 

But then I noticed, if you change the pixel density in the settings of DCS, the resolution of the clouds is also scaled. So if I set the resolution in Steam from 200% to 100% and set the pixel density to 2.0, the clouds are sharper. However, my system [5900x, 32GB 3200 CL14, MSI RTX 3090 Trio X] then breaks down to 40Fps and lower in 80Hz mode.... Too bad, it looks really nice. Of course, it also works the other way around. I have currently decreased the pixel density to 0.8 and the resolution in Steam (DCS 270-290% | Global 100%), so that I have a similarly good resolution in the game, except for the clouds. But this way I have a stable 80fps with 2746*3050px per eye. Unfortunately, at least on my index, the quality is a bit worse than with pixel density 1.0, but that's because I don't use AA and SteamVR uses an Advanced Supersampling filter. However, it is a very good compromise between optics and performance. Attached are my settings. 

& I am using the shader Mod as well.

80fps.jpg

Settings.jpg

SettingsSteamVR.jpg

SettingsVR.jpg

Edited by havok2
Added the fact, that I using the shader Mod.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seems like some people have missed the purpose of this thread, this isn't a "ED your clouds sucks, fix it thread" but rather that there is an adjustable setting for clouds that has no effect in VR but does in 2D and people are just curious if the DEVs are aware of it.  The jittery clouds has been verified as a bug where this issue has not.  I don't think this issue qualifies as being too nit picky.

• Like 9

Also noticed a vast difference between VR and Pancake with the clouds. Even when I set them to low on both. They seem to be much less "shapy" in VR (CV1 here BTW), and I don't see that gorgeous light play at all in VR, they're mosty just white while they have some nice shadowing around them, and especially underneath when looked at from certain angles in pancake. In VR - nothing of that is to be seen. Certainly not right.

But anyway, they're still far better than what we had before.

7 hours ago, havok2 said:

SettingsVR.jpg

OK, who's responsible for the translation? rdlaugh.png

"Crop to rectangle" literally became "Crop to triangle" here. Very much misleading although the original one also doesn't exactly tell what it does since the mirror is a rectangle anyway. Rectangle would be "Rechteck".

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

oops, wrong topic...

Edited by =Mac=

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Not an attempt at fixing anything, but a curiosity. Touching things I don't understand in clouds.lua I managed to get this fancy clouds. This is the 'Overcast and Rain 1' preset. Although whatever I did made the clouds to have less "geometric" detail let's say, the individual puffs they are made of look more small and detailed, closer to how they look like in 2D.

The point is that I don't think the problem really depends on Pixel Density as suggested. It looks more like whatever parameters DCS is changing when selecting cloud details from "low" to "ultra" in 2D are not being applied in VR.

DCS 2021-04-17 11-08-45.jpg

DCS 2021-04-17 11-08-56.jpg

DCS 2021-04-17 11-09-26.jpg

Edited by average_pilot
  • Thanks 1

Is it reasonable to believe that the performance boost some people are seeing in VR is because of the lower quality clouds? So it stands to reason that if they fix the low quality and improve it we can expect VR performance to go down the drain?  

Personally I can't really tell if my performance is better...it kind of feels the same as 2.5.6 without a shaders mod. 2080S card , 5900X & Reverb G1. 

The water does seem too dark though, as do the shaded areas under the clouds.  Turning the gamma up makes everything too bright when you are in the sunny areas.