VR quality settings

27 minutes ago, wraith76 said:

I tried this with no luck. I've noticed that PD .5 has the bouncing clouds issue for me. If I raise it to PD 1 then they it goes away. However, no matter what the PD I set I still get the blurry clouds regardless of low - Ultra Cloud settings. (I selected the default VR settings in DCS then tested PD .5 - 1) FPS is lower than usual but not by a whole bunch. Also, I get the halo effect mentioned in other threads. This halo happens when I go above the clouds. My thoughts are its happening when i have an upper deck of clouds above me and a lower deck. The best way to describe the halo is the outer most area of my vr lens have a slight glow at the top and bottom.

HP Reverb G2 (Running Steam VR)

RTX 2080 TI Driver 461.92

i9-10900k

62GB DDR4 3600

Nvidia_Settings1.PNG

Nvidia_Settings2.PNG

DCS_System.PNG

DCS_VR.PNG

SteamVRSettings1.PNG

SteamVRSettings2.PNG

Try setting your vsync to fast in the Nvidia control panel. This made a big difference for me in terms of smoothness. Won't help with clouds or water though! 😀

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

23 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks for letting me know, yes it seems to work for some and not others. 

we are working on it and investigating the quality settings in vr

thanks

I just went as far as uninstalling DCS and removing all the old files and folders. Installed again with no improvement to cloud quality or FPS. My performance was much better before the 2.7 update. As I mentioned before this is on a 2 month old OS install on a  new NVME drive. I am still on OS ver 1909 because 20H2 ran like dogcrap for me. I use a 2080ti FTW3 Ultra and 9900ks OC'd to 5.1ghz. 2080ti is OC'd to a stable clock as well. I also increased paging file to 32gb to 64gb range and did all the normal system tweaks and DCS settings like Hot plug disable and disabled gameDVR etc.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• ED Team
Just now, BMGZ06 said:

I just went as far as uninstalling DCS and removing all the old files and folders. Installed again with no improvement to cloud quality or FPS. My performance was much better before the 2.7 update. As I mentioned before this is on a 2 month old OS install on a  new NVME drive. I am still on OS ver 1909 because 20H2 ran like dogcrap for me. I use a 2080ti FTW3 Ultra and 9900ks OC'd to 5.1ghz. 2080ti is OC'd to a stable clock as well. I also increased paging file to 32gb to 64gb range and did all the normal system tweaks and DCS settings like Hot plug disable and disabled gameDVR etc.

Sounds crazy, but have you tried without the overclock?

I am using a 2080Ti no overclocks and frames are good for me, it will depend on your settings also obviously.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Sounds crazy, but have you tried without the overclock?

I am using a 2080Ti no overclocks and frames are good for me, it will depend on your settings also obviously.  

I will try it out. Im downloading 128gb of modules right now.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

@BIGNEWY

Thanks Bignewy! Renaming the DCS folder in Saved Games to backup and letting DCS create a new one, did the job to me.

Before, the clouds were way too shiny in VR, like completely bright white, now after done this, the clouds look much better, more frayed and with more dark areas, which gives them volume. As well the clouds in the higher spheres now look great in VR.

Surely the clouds in VR will never look that perfect, like on screen or in the videos, but in anyway a fantastic improvement. I´m also glad, that you did not delayed the release of the patch again, because of the known issues in VR. I´m sure these will be fixed sooner or later.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

yes we are already looking into it. 

thanks

Thanks a bunch for confirming, BigNewy!

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

For what it’s worth, this didn’t make a difference. :(

• ED Team
35 minutes ago, - Voight - said:

Thanks Bignewy! Renaming the DCS folder in Saved Games to backup and letting DCS create a new one, did the job to me.

good to hear

7 minutes ago, SundownSix said:

For what it’s worth, this didn’t make a difference. 😞

yep does not seem to work for all.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

yep does not seem to work for all.

In all likelihood, if it helped some, like the poster above, it helped because there was something REALLY wrong with their shader cache or old config, so when it was reset it probably looked a lot better than what they saw before.

But I’m willing to bet that the saved game reset fix isn’t actually working for this issue.

They’re likely still seeing what looks like blurry Low quality clouds and the discrepancy between 2D and VR quality settings. It‘s just that Low quality blurry clouds and simplified shading still looks way better than “kind of broken”.
  • Like 1

• ED Team

yep, just have to be patient, as mentioned in the change log we are working on vr issues

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

Hey BIGNEWY,
this helped for me. Now it runs nearly as smooth as with the old version. By the way could it be that the Gamma-Calculation for the clouds are the problem for burning them out in VR? I accidently slided the gamma and *kaboosh* at ~1.7 it seems to be more natural and realistic.

https://youtu.be/B95A32CQ2r8

And great job by the way!!!

Edited by havok2

2 minutes ago, havok2 said:

Hey BIGNEWY,
this helped for me. Now it runs nearly as smooth as with the old version. By the way could it be that the Gamma-Calculation for the clouds are the problem for burning them out in VR? I accidently slided the gamma and *kaboosh* at ~1.7 it seems to be more natural and realistic.

lowering that increases the midtone contrast so it appears more defined. But there's clearly something wrong with the setting not doing anything in VR, and regardless of the choice you make, you're stuck with low-quality clouds.

• Like 3

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, havok2 said:

Hey BIGNEWY,

glad it helped for you, I will mention the gamma to the team. 

thanks

30 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

glad it helped for you, I will mention the gamma to the team. 

thanks

Maybe it will be quite useful to have a "independient gamma cloud setting", for VR users. I tested with gamma 1.0 and the contrast is perfect. With default gamma 2.2 in VR the clouds are white oversatured. Thanks.

Edited by Gryzor

Maybe it will be quite useful to have a "independient gamma cloud setting", for VR users. I tested with gamma 1.0 and the contrast is perfect. With default gamma 2.2 in VR the clouds are white oversatured. Thanks.

Again, I don’t believe the issue in this thread is related to gamma. Turning down gamma simply increases some contrast to improve the overall shading (at the cost of throwing lighting values for the rest of the game out of whack).

The issue is simply the lack of small scale edge and lighting cloud detail that is present in 2D on higher settings, but are either missing or look blurry in VR, and can’t (and shouldn’t) be fixed by gamma settings or some other tweak.

We should take care to report fixes and workarounds that may slightly improve cloud appearance but don’t actually fundamentally fix the issue, as they could lead to red herrings that muddy the waters towards getting a proper fix.
  • Like 3

Ya Gamma is not the solution since turning it down makes everything even darker than at 2.2 which is already darker even with no clouds. It is almost like there is some filtering effect of the sun light. I made a mission with no clouds at noon and set time of year in July when the sun should be really bright. I went back to my old NVME drive with an older version of 2.5.6 and did the same thing and it was much brighter but not blown out and washed out looking by turning up gamma.

55 minutes ago, SundownSix said:

Again, I don’t believe the issue in this thread is related to gamma. Turning down gamma simply increases some contrast to improve the overall shading (at the cost of throwing lighting values for the rest of the game out of whack).

The issue is simply the lack of small scale edge and lighting cloud detail that is present in 2D on higher settings, but are either missing or look blurry in VR, and can’t (and shouldn’t) be fixed by gamma settings or some other tweak.

We should take care to report fixes and workarounds that may slightly improve cloud appearance but don’t actually fundamentally fix the issue, as they could lead to red herrings that muddy the waters towards getting a proper fix.

Yes, you are right. I agree that these are three different problems that should be discussed separately. 

- Overall quality (out of focus, settings don't seem to work).
- Overlit, burned out clouds
- Mismatched shaky perspective from clouds to world

But from everything I've read, Bignewy has all three on his radar now. I am sure they work really hard for us 🙂

5 hours ago, DST said:

Sorry for off topic, but maybe it´s related to the "clouds stuck on low quality in VR" issue, but water definitely also looks like lowest setting in VR since 2.7. no matter which option in graphic settings menu.

So I decided to switch back to stable until further patches. Along with the wobbling clouds in VR this is just too much that feels rather like a step back since ver. 2.56

Too bad I´m on steam and have to download 30 GB again :(((

You are correct about this. My flying buddies and I have noticed that water quality does not change with the option settings. Very similar to what is being reported with the clouds. The admins moved the thread that mentions the water but, as far as I know, they have not acknowledged the issue.

1 hour ago, SundownSix said:

I completely agree. This thread has completely gone off course already anyway, with 4-5 different issues being discussed muddying the waters.

34 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Clouds set to "nothing" and clouds set to "Light scattered". 

Suddenly full of orange and purple frametime thingies , also really irratic as you can see there's some green in there as well. 

fkclouds1.JPG

fkclouds2.jpeg

What are your hardware specs? Try fpsvr app to see frametimes of cpu and gpu. So you can see what part of the system is the reason. I mean nothing had less calculation then clouds right?

On 4/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, Marklar said:

Water is not flat, I don't understand what you are talking about. Clouds are not as good as on 2D monitor but still miles better than in 2.5.6.

yGObjY4.png

V7vH8lz.png

ZoQVdEG.png

Yeh,close up the water looks good. But when you fly above it , even as low as 500 ft, it is too dark and featureless. Especially if it's in the shade of a cloud. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sandmonkee said:

Try setting your vsync to fast in the Nvidia control panel. This made a big difference for me in terms of smoothness. Won't help with clouds or water though! 😀

wont make any difference in VR.

VR headsets always control vsync themselves with their own implementation. 

• Like 1

The above goes for 99% of nvidia control panel settings. They don't do jack in VR 

@Havok 

Sure the new clouds will add some overhead. But uhm 30% for those could puffs seems incorrect especially considering the quality of the clouds in VR. 
i7 8700K @ 5,2ghz (all cores) , 32GB of Ram, RTX 3090 

Guess we'll have to wait and see if ED can make this work a little better in VR. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

28 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

The above goes for 99% of nvidia control panel settings. They don't do jack in VR 

@Havok 

Sure the new clouds will add some overhead. But uhm 30% for those could puffs seems incorrect especially considering the quality of the clouds in VR. 
i7 8700K @ 5,2ghz (all cores) , 32GB of Ram, RTX 3090 

Guess we'll have to wait and see if ED can make this work a little better in VR. 

Yeah I saw the same performancedrop. On Youtube erverybody tells you there is no performanceloss - even in VR - no its faster!!!

I tried the tip from BIGNEWY and renamer my DCS Folder in C\User\YOUR USER\saved games\

after that I started the game and copied my controles later in the new folder. For me it definitely fixed the heavy performance-drop. I also have a 3090. Do you have Rez Bar enabled? Latest drivers as well?

22 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

The quality in my side it´s awesome although i tried changing from ultra to low and can´t tell noticeable difference. My biggest issue in VR (Index user) it´s the clouds jumping, making flying very difficult due to eye tireness, but i know that you are already on it.

Besides that it´s a game changer. No doubt.

Thank you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.