VR quality settings

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

If I want to keep my control assignments but reset the display settings, which file are those stored in?

Edit - I guess C:\Users\your_mom\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Options.lua

I would recommend to rename the whole DCS Folder to DCS_Old and then start the Game. I think the Settings File is not an problem. Its the Shadercache that will be recreated. So just start the Game and close it then. You now have a new DCS folder next to your DCS_Old. Now Copy the files you need. I would recommend to copy the whole Controles Folder then. 

Edited by havok2

2 hours ago, Jester2138 said:

Why not just delete only the fxo and metashaders2 folders?

Theoretically, this is probably the same, but it is not confirmed exactly what the problem is. I refer here only to the statement of BIGNEWY. I have also done it this way and it worked.

11 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Cloud quality is likely held back in VR otherwise it would be too much for any hardware to do currently. Might have to wait until game engine updates before we see high detailed clouds in VR.

This is just a hypothesis. It appears ED are looking into the slider effect option for VR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Cloud quality is likely held back in VR otherwise it would be too much for any hardware to do currently. Might have to wait until game engine updates before we see high detailed clouds in VR.

I agree with you but the clouds for me in VR are a game changer (already awesome), at this moment i just need that ED fix the cloud jumping (VR) after that i can enjoy things. I have that little fear that it can be a more complex problem and can´t be fixed...

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

26 minutes ago, fagulha said:

I agree with you but the clouds for me in VR are a game change, at this moment i just need that ED fix the cloud jumping (VR) after that i can enjoy things. I have that little fear that it can be a more complex problem and can´t be fixed...

Agreed. I can enjoy them as they are for now minus the jumping. It's pretty bad on some occasion. They are on it. I'm sure it will get fixed it is an beta after all. 

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Sorry if it's already been stated but have ED said when they're going to fix the clouds in VR yet so they aren't stuck at low quality?

They say that they are on it but no estimate given. As far i know.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

Just wanted to chime in that this did not help with the lack of contrast on clouds for me. I also tried the various quality presets and there was no improvement. I don't have screenshots for all those tests because, frankly, my original screenshot shows it well enough. The lack of dark spots in clouds is really problematic because it removes any sort of depth. It's almost like the blend mode of some of the voxels doesn't allow for clouds to get *darker*, only for them to get brighter white.

It would be fun if someone who feels like deleting your save folder helped could post some VR screenshots.

aJ2Xtqq.jpg

• Like 3

• ED Team

thanks for the feedback and screenshot I will mention it to the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

38 minutes ago, SGT Coyle said:

Can I turn clouds off till they're VR ready?

Fo Sho...

Go back to stable.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• ED Team

something else that just popped up in my feed 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-10-game-performance-hit

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/448105/geforce-46611-grd-feedback-thread-released-41421/3055155/

4/16/21 - If you are seeing lower performance in games, check if rolling back Windows 10 Update KB5000842 solves the issue:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

something else that just popped up in my feed 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-10-game-performance-hit

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/448105/geforce-46611-grd-feedback-thread-released-41421/3055155/

4/16/21 - If you are seeing lower performance in games, check if rolling back Windows 10 Update KB5000842 solves the issue:

Was just about to post this. Though that is related to performance and not quality. I think that's not the only update that's broken either, basically you should remove any cumulative "forced" update that you received in that week (they differ in name depending on the Windows version) 

I will try this and report back later today.

As for the image quality in VR, I've noticed that it feels slightly blurry when looking at distant objects (not just the jumping clouds) the "dithering" seems especially bad on very thin constructions such as electrical power towers, lines, or basically any object with long thin lines. Much more pronounced than it used to be in 2.5, I wonder if it is related to the "jumping" clouds and have a feeling it might be. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Was just about to post this. Though that is related to performance and not quality. I think that's not the only update that's broken either, basically you should remove any cumulative "forced" update that you received in that week (they differ in name depending on the Windows version) 

I will try this and report back later today.

As for the image quality in VR, I've noticed that it feels slightly blurry when looking at distant objects (not just the jumping clouds) the "dithering" seems especially bad on very thin constructions such as electrical power towers, lines, or basically any object with long thin lines. Much more pronounced than it used to be in 2.5, I wonder if it is related to the "jumping" clouds and have a feeling it might be. 

This! I have the exact same problem, it's like a "ghosting" effect on objects. It happens when I look sideways. I'm sure I didn't have this prior to 2.7.  Also, the new clouds are a hog on my system. If I use the preset clouds of the top row I'm fine, any of the other ones and I notice significant stutters. 

2 hours ago, Bbow said:

it's like a "ghosting" effect on objects. It happens when I look sideways.

This sounds like a side effect of reprojection. Turn it off and ghosting should disappear. 

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

35 minutes ago, Marklar said:

This sounds like a side effect of reprojection. Turn it off and ghosting should disappear. 

if I set my Reverb to 60 hz it goes away and the gameplay is smooth but 60 hz gives me headaches (caused the screen flickering). 90 Hz I get that ghosting effect but it gets better when I switch reprojection to "forced always on".  I have tried everything to improve my frametime but not making any progress. 

I removed the latest Windows Cumulative Patch, and can't say I've noticed anything much different than usual. With that said my performance is pretty good in 2.7.

I did try bumping up MSAA to x2 from OFF in VR, no improvement in cloud (I run PD 1.7 as well) quality however the "dithering" I experienced is much improved. Not sure if I end up keeping it, I did lose frames but not as many as I thought I would.

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 4/20/2021 at 6:26 PM, BIGNEWY said:

If you are seeing lower performance in games, check if rolling back Windows 10 Update KB5000842 solves the issue

Thanks for that. I indeed noticed a performance drop after installing it, but I forgot which KB number it was so didn't get to reroll.
I just checked the list of installed updates, and that specific KB number is not listed 🤔 I have a more recent one though: KB5001330, which is also causing problems:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-10-april-update-is-causing-games-to-randomly-stutter

On 4/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

Just in case it helps, I have also tested it to no avail: no difference whatsoever in either performance or image quality.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Personnaly with my rigs it works well. It's true that the clouds are more detailled in the mirror that outside. And put the shadow on High and SSAO works on clouds.

I'm always at 45 fps now, which is better than in 2.5.

But in VR with the CV1 even with msaax2 and SS at 1.5, the clouds are a bit wash if the layer is thin. There are not super detailled like the 2D screen but I suppose it's because I don't have the sharpening definition of a reverb (big screendoor effect on CV1)

RYZEN 5800x, 32Gb DDr4 3600mhz, SSD and RTX3070

I'm basically in the same boat as Elunnia.

Better FPS, but no matter what combination of MSAA (off to Max), Pixel Density (tried between 1 and 1.5) , cloud detail, etc, very low quality clouds in VR.

I've deleted shader cache too, just to be sure. (Dunno if any of this helps narrow down the issue, but figure I'd share it anyway)

• Like 1