VR quality settings

While it’s obvious that 2D clouds render better than in VR, it’s the same for any object at a distance. The clouds we have gotten in 2.7 are far and away better than before! Thanks ED for a great product, and continually working to improve it!  

Nothing is as good visually in VR vs 2D. We sacrifice that visual quality for the immersion that VR achieves. That said, it would be amazing if ED could get clouds in VR looking closer to 2D!

• Like 2

Ever since this thread started, I've always wished people would tailor their expectations for this very reason.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

That's exactly right. I'm fully aware that overall in VR these days it's hard to get the same quality that you can get in 2D. The point of this thread was simply to notify as a bug that quality options in the settings menu don't have any effect in VR, so you can't adjust them accordingly with your hardware at the moment.

• Like 5

Yeah your thread has been high-jacked about 20 times. 🙂

• Like 2

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Why would things look worse in VR, though? Other than bugs in the code, there's no reason that something that can be rendered on a 4K screen couldn't be rendered on a 4K VR display, isn't it? Performance is the only limiting factor, but people are running 3090s now. The only problems I can see are issues resulting from having to use two cameras, but I think that can be fixed with enough effort.

• Like 4

Personally I'd love to see a patch that was VR focused. As much as I appreciate the huge amount of effort that the team constantly put into the sim, there are some real VR fundamentals that need to be addressed. The fact the US military are using the platform as part of their A10 training syllabus is reason enough surely.

• Like 6

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 4 weeks later...
vor 21 Minuten schrieb Steff Bourne:

Yes they quality is also improved. The experience is now fantastic in vr. I like the patch very much 🙂

vor 20 Minuten schrieb falcon_120:

There is work to be done on quality, but much improved! The jittering was a deal breaker

Thanks for the info. Will try it before I go to sleep 🙂

CONGRATULATIONS @ED for this patch. Clouds are awesome specially now in ULTRA. Also in HIGH.

Please fix the not rendering some details at L eye in VR (specially noticeable with guy´s clothes on carrier deck, but also in many other objects...), improve performance a bit... and this would be awesome!!

• Like 1

Much much better after this update... Certainly more work to be done, there still seems to be far too much translucency < especially with the sun... Some additional internal shadows wouldn't go a miss either.

There is also still the issue of the clouds being aliased at distant, this has little to do with msaa etc. You can see the voxels on distance clouds trying to interpolate the edges, but again this patch has made things better for sure.

vor 19 Stunden schrieb WelshZeCorgi:

I kinda feel like the clouds don't look that pretty for me in VR, (pictures a few posts above) even with my settings on Ultra, are there other graphical options that effect the visual quality of the clouds?

I can of course also deceive myself but since the little update in between, the clouds are looking worse again. the small update made SSAA work again. It feels for me the same as for you. 

Edited by Steff Bourne

vor 41 Minuten schrieb Flappie:

Guys, do you mind sharing screenshots of your clouds? (please specify your cloud setting)

Dont missunderstand me, the clouds are looking great after the patch, but it feels, that they looked a little bit better, befor the SSAA fix came out. But again, i can also deceive myself in this situation and everything is okay. At the pictures below, i tried different presets and picture 2 with a different time. When the sun is not at 12 o´clock, i´ve the best experience. Maybe it was exactly that. When I flew on a multiplayer server short after the SSAA Fix, it was possibly exactly 12 o'clock and that was the reason, the clouds felt ugly for me 🤷‍♂️

Bild1.jpg

Bild2.jpg

Bild3.jpg

Bild4.jpg

Bild5.jpg

• Thanks 1

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Jafergon:

Sorry, I can't post any screenshots ATM, but just did a quick test and based on my memories from flying on wednesday, they look as good s then.

OK Good. I wasn't sure if it was true or just a feeling. like i said befor maybe it was a number of circumstances like bad preset with bad time of day, but thanks for your confirm that at your point of view, the patch didn’t change anything. 😊.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, Danny_P said:

Much much better after this update... Certainly more work to be done, there still seems to be far too much translucency < especially with the sun... Some additional internal shadows wouldn't go a miss either.

There is also still the issue of the clouds being aliased at distant, this has little to do with msaa etc. You can see the voxels on distance clouds trying to interpolate the edges, but again this patch has made things better for sure.

Now that you mention, I also think that the glow of the clouds when the sun is behind them is exaggerated. It seems to take a lot of clouds to stop the glow of the sun from coming through compared to real life. Although it may be that in real life I just don't stare at the dazzling glow of the sun when the layer of clouds is too thin to stand it.

Actually, I'm not comfortable anymore with this kind posts based on "feelings", but just in case ED finds it useful, there it is.

• Like 1